Black Ducks Supporters Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

2009 FIXTURES

All games start at 2.15pm, unless otherwise stated.
ROUND 1: March 20, South Fremantle v SWANS , Fremantle Oval 7.40pm start (A)
ROUND 2: March 28, SWANS v Subiaco, Steel Blue Oval (H)
ROUND 3: April 4, SWANS v Peel Thunder , Steel Blue Oval (H)
ROUND 4: April 13, Perth v SWANS , EFTel Oval (A)
ROUND 5: April 18, BYE
ROUND 6: April 25, SWANS v Claemont, Steel Blue Oval, ANZAC DAY MATCH (H)
ROUND 7: May 1, West Perth V SWANS , Arena Joondalup 7.45pm start (A)
ROUND 8: May 9, SWANS vEast Perth , Steel Blue Oval (H)
ROUND 9: May 16, East Fremantle v SWANS (75), East Fremantle Oval (A)
ROUND 10: May 30, Peel Thunder v SWANS , Rushton Park (A)
ROUND 11: June 6, SWANS v South Fremantle, Steel Blue Oval (H)
ROUND 12: June 13, Subiaco v SWANS , Medibank Stadium (A)
ROUND 13: June 20, SWANS v Perth, Steel Blue Oval (H)
ROUND 14: June 27, BYE
ROUND 15: July 4, SWANS v East Fremantle, Steel Blue Oval (H)
ROUND 16: July 11, SWANS v West Perth, Steel Blue Oval (H)
ROUND 17: July 18, East Perth v SWANS, Medibank Stadium (A)
ROUND 18: July 25, BYE
ROUND 19: August 1, Claremont v SWANS, Claremont Oval (A)
ROUND 20: August 8, Subiaco v SWANS, Medibank Stadium (A)
ROUND 21: August 15, SWANS v Perth, Steel Blue Oval (H)
ROUND 22: August 22, East Fremantle v SWANS, East Fremantle Oval (A)
ROUND 23: August 29, SWANS v South Fremantle, Steel Blue Oval (H)

Stickied it, like all other club's supporters threads.

Thanks for the fixtures NR, bloody Souths at the beginning of the year again! Oh well, might as well get the season off to a flyer. :D

Looks like Garlett is off to join his mate Yarran. I'm glad Pearce is staying in WA, I think his natural leadership is something a young Swan Districts team will need in 2009.

How great, yet so dissapointing to lose all that talent to the AFL ranks!

Well, got down to our spiritual centre, Bassendean Oval for training tonight. Pretty good numbers training for the senior squad, with more recruits to come during the course of January. The training squad was over 40, but as another guy and I discussed, 35 or so of them were "rovers", being 5' 8" - 6' 1". So we should have a handy little mosquito fleet yet again.

Pleasing signs were Amesy and M Embley training at full throttle, haven't seen that in a while, or in Michael's case, ever. Langey was doing run throughs/sprints on his own, but good to see him running. Lots of the colts from 2007 that went down for senior training last year are back again this year :thumbsu: Dean Ipaviz looks to have overcome his cancer and is back on the track, but because he broke his wrist skateboarding he's in the recovery group! Oh and Casserley was training so he's back with the swannies.

Ingall has gone travelling and Scott Douglass has gone over to Subi. Scott who, you might ask, but I thought he was a good knock ruckman and certainly good depth, but evidently Subi don't know if Newick is coming back or not so have got him over as some insurance.

I couldn't get much out of people as to who our recruits are, except that they will be in in the next couple of weeks and there are a few from other WAFL clubs trying at Swans. One is Ben Colreavy, who was down at training tonight, the others I don't know, but I'll drop into training again to find out in a few weeks.

On to the interesting part, the training. It was a long, long session. There was water everywhere, with a light demisting shower set up for the players to walk through and a watering station that they came to get cold water from. Matt Carr and Peter Matera were both at training, with Peter involved in the drills in the capacity of assisting only, like trying to intercept the ball in handball drills etc. Matt seemed more of an observer, watching how they executed skills etc.

Once the running was out of the way and they got their hands on the balls they started by doing a group handball drill, where they would run in groups of 3 and they had to avoid the ball being intercepted by 1 person they were running past. They had to go past 3 stations, over about a 75m distance. Well, the skills, as expected were very, very ordinary. Dawson gave a few short sharp whistles, which led one of the guys near me to say, "he isn't very happy". And he wasn't, gave them a collective rocket (politely delivered as is Brian Dawson's way) and then they got back out there and improved 10 fold.

Interesting times ahead for the Swans and can't wait to see who else pops up on the list of recruits in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Jack. Other news was that it's not confirmed if Matty Spencer is going to play with the black ducks this year. He's training with the team but may yet play country footy.

Thanks Jack. Other news was that it's not confirmed if Matty Spencer is going to play with the black ducks this year. He's training with the team but may yet play country footy.

Is he the guy from QLD? If so we love our banana benders don't we!

You wouldn't have thought there'd be any good players left to enlist although I'm sure we have some guns coming up through the ranks.

Seems as though the club is looking to use their windfall for development rather than instant success. So long as the bloody AFL don't steal al our players this is awesome.

Is he the guy from QLD? If so we love our banana benders don't we!

You wouldn't have thought there'd be any good players left to enlist although I'm sure we have some guns coming up through the ranks.

Seems as though the club is looking to use their windfall for development rather than instant success. So long as the bloody AFL don't steal al our players this is awesome.

No, Matty Spencer was our colts captain about 5 years ago, then drafted by Geelong. Body's not holding up that great. Chris Smith is the guy from Qld and he's welcome to stay over there, IMO.

Yes Bero has finally retired and playing for Mt Lawley (rumoured to be anyway). Lets hope Casserley can get fit, because he would be a very handy addition off half back if he can. Beautiful user of the ball by all accounts.

I can confirm that Beros is playing for Mt Lawley this year. He is playing cricket for Dianella at the moment and will suit up for Mount Lawley this season

I can confirm that Beros is playing for Mt Lawley this year. He is playing cricket for Dianella at the moment and will suit up for Mount Lawley this season

Yep, we should have a minutes silence for the great man.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read today that the CEO and club parted ways, but no one knows why. Peter Talianglis should be credited for a lot of good work done to get Swans into the black. Thanks Peter. :thumbsu:

Also read on FG that Douglas only lasted 1 training session with Subi. :confused:

Will get to training next Thursday (I hope) and see if other recruits etc have rolled in.

Finally got back to training again tonight and there were still good numbers but they split them into about half as I got there and half were sent to the gym and the others continued to run and do drills.

About 25-30 did the drills after a couple of warm up/down laps. Pleasing to note that the skills were appreciably better than a month ago, as you would expect. Star trainers were, Wolfy (who'd have guessed) and Robinson IMO. Wolfy just takes training as seriously as if he were playing for premiership points and was continually harrassing and spoiling. Seemed a good amount of zip and vim in the training and amongst the group. Matera seems to be slotting in very nicely, as does Matt Carr, with both having long chats with the doc as the guys were running laps and doing exercises. I assume Matera has a healthy dose of respect for Dawson from their Eagles days though.

I was getting excited watching M Embley train, thinking could this be a year he has no injuries in the pre-season, but as I was thinking this he peeled away from the main group and started running laps. Hopefully they're just protecting him.

No major recruits that I could see, but then I didn't have one of the clubs officials there to tell me who was who and I didn't recognise a large number of players. So we shall have to wait and see but it looks like we're trusting our own, in the main, this year. :thumbsu:

Chrsco,

I'd heard we had a guy training the house down at full forward? Supposedly looking like a likely type to be a good medium size forward out of a pocket or at full forward in a small set-up.

Apparently used to play for Souths, assume has played country or community in recent years.

Just one to keep your eye out for ;)

Chrsco,

I'd heard we had a guy training the house down at full forward? Supposedly looking like a likely type to be a good medium size forward out of a pocket or at full forward in a small set-up.

Apparently used to play for Souths, assume has played country or community in recent years.

Just one to keep your eye out for ;)

Thanks MTC. When I first looked in at training they were very cagey about who was coming, just said some other WAFL clubs' players. I thought FF was Notte's. :D You're not talking about Ashley Wedding, who came across last year, or year before, about 6'1" forward, kicked 7 in one game? I must duck out (with my glasses this time :eek:) and have another look, although scratchies will be upon us soon. :thumbsu:

In light of Swans looking to have Matt Carr play this year, which will cost the club $10k and 12 points, is it worth it? According to the West, the club has said it is prepared to lose a few young players, off it's list to accomodate the caps points, if need be. Shouldn't be required, but if it is, is it worth playing Matt Carr for 1 year, maybe 2, at the expense of young players?

I think we're after his experience, because I can't recognise many of the faces at training, and short term that could be a good thing. The other question is, will 1 player alone be enough to consolidate experience in the squad? You would think not, but....

Anyhow, 10 am Sat morning is the intra-club, should be good!

Went down and watched 5 quarters of footy and enjoyed every minute. How couldn't I, Swans were always going to win? :D Anyway, saw some very good signs there, with the skill level being noticably better and the aggression levels, at the ball, being very good.

Mr Triple C, I sighted your player, a Mr Bowers who has been the last 2 years at Federals and played 7 games for Souths. He kicked one stunning goal when he attacked the pack, put down the mark, hit the ground and collected the ball from the pack and wheeling on his left, dobbed it from around 50m out. He certainly attacks the contest hard and looks about 6'1" or 6'2". Phil Pense, the Avon League FF, who has kicked 100 in a couple of season, is also back, hopefulling having rectified the bulging disc he suffered when he first came down a couple of years ago. Pullman also took most of his marks and looked in good nick. So looks like we might have some choice of forwards this year.

Around the ball James Embley was fantastic, in hard at the ball feeding out handballs. Jason Fleming looked good. Dylan Harvey did pretty well in the ruck, Wes Lammie did a number of good things but then undid all that work by doing some elementarily dumb things. No 5, for the black team (I think his name was Cameron), was electrifyingly fast and got a fair bit of the ball. Johnno and the McKinley's looked in good touch. No 29, another aboriginal boy, no idea of his name, has a beautiful left foot kick and kicked to good forward positions all the time.

Overall, looked to have some ruck depth, Naita was sitting on the sidelines watching and chatting as well, with a heap of fleet footed runners and those tough nuts to get the ball out and seem to have found some depth in the forwards - but the season will tell us that soon enough.

We got $10,000 + Ben Colreavy from Claremont as part of the Luke Blackwell deal. I reckon we could have done just with the $10,000, Colreavy is past his time and is coming back from long-term injury.

Any sign of Travis Casserly, who has apparently returned to us after being delisted from Richmond.

And rumour is that Matt Carr is gonna put his boots on as well, because we have virtually lost all our class in the midfield.

Thanks C P, thought it was tied up with the Luke Blackwell case.

Matty Carr was certainly showing no signs of putting the boots on yesterday, sitting with the other coaches in the stands. We'll see what comes of that one.

chrsco = swannies from footygoss :)

No, I'm not a stalker...

Ha Ha, funny story that. I tried to register swannies on BF, because I use that for everything (saves me remembering), but I wrestled with the BF registration process for days, trying to get swannies through. 6 months later I found out that there had been a very good troll, Sydney supporter I believe, using that login, hence why I couldn't have it!

Alright, the running game plan still exists and was put to good use tonight. The positive signs from tonight is that we have some decent depth and we should be very competitive again this year. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Lewis Jetta is a gem and has star written all over him, Liam Maguire back bodes well, Ames in the backline gives us a lot more stability and flexibility in the team, Aaron Bowers looks a likely type up forward, really attacks the ball hard and breaks packs open. Steve Potente is your typical forward pocket, yapping at the oppositions' players heels like a blue heeler and getting from one contest to the next.

Yes, I'm excited!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back