Politics Black Lives Matter

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree entirely.

I'm not basing it on semantics or the specifics of what was said, but more on the length of time for which the message was pushed along with its regularity and ferocity. Trump pretty much made being anti-democracy a non-negotiable for his true believers, ingrained it constantly and continually into their psyche over the course of 2 months after the election.

A single statement from Walters, as problematic as hers was, is simply not the same. You seriously think the blame attributed to Trump would have been same if he had just ranted about being cheated and the election being rigged a few times after the result then moved on? Come on.

i didnt say it was the exact same.

It said it was the same message...which it was....is that if you don't like the result from a legal justice system than you should protest it, in a confrontational manner.

disagree if you want, that's fine. but what I'm saying isn't wrong.

It said it was the same message...which it was....is that if you don't like the result from a legal justice system than you should protest it, in a confrontational manner.

Americans have the right to carry guns enshrined in their constitution in order to fight back against a tyrannical federal government.
Protesting a result from a court case is piddling in comparison to what the population are capable of.

Americans have the right to carry guns enshrined in their constitution in order to fight back against a tyrannical federal government.
Protesting a result from a court case is piddling in comparison to what the population are capable of.

thats fine.

not my point but ok.

i just think its dead sot wrong for a sitting congresswomen to be saying things like that, during a live court case.

I interpreted the comment as Derek spending his time in protective custody - which is where the sex offenders are usually located because you know... in general population they get bashed.

People perceive things how they want :$
Sure you did

is that if you don't like the result from a legal justice system than you should protest it, in a confrontational manner.
Again. You are leaving out context.

"If the result from the legal justice system is manifestly unjust, then you should protest it".

That is the message.

Trump situation: No injustice. They made it up and pumped out the falsehoods.

thats fine.

not my point but ok.

i just think its dead sot wrong for a sitting congresswomen to be saying things like that, during a live court case.
Only people who will criticise her are Fox News, who aren't taken seriously. Maybe Brian Stelter on CNN. Probably Bill Maher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"If the result from the legal justice system is manifestly unjust, then you should protest it".

That is the message.

Trump claimed the election was manifestly unjust as well.

In both cases it's best to leave things to the courts, rather than public opinion.

That is the message.

if she believes the decision to be unjust then she should say what she said AFTER the case is concluded, not DURING it. It is not acceptable for a SITTING CONGRESSWOMEN to be making public comments on a case that is UNDER TRIAL.

she could have seriously interrupted the case and caused a possible mistrial.

You did, though

it undermines the democratic process. The exact same way trump did.

Thats the only part I'm taking issue with, the degree to which a democratic process has been undermined. I totally agree that this instance or the principle is the same, but surely you can't just wave off Trump stating and reinforcing his 'message' 100 odd times vs Walters' 1 and declare it 'the same'.

I honestly would have thought it patently obvious that the message, as it relates to likelihood of potentially motivating people to riot, is not the same. Can we not agree as a general principle that a message repeated constantly is stronger than one uttered once? Thats before we even get to the differing reach and platform of a POTUS vs a congresswoman.

Last edited:
It's more pathetic when you don't own it.
Gough made a clear reference to Chauvin having to do his jail time in protective custody with all the "sex offenders".
There was no reference to "sharing a cell with Bubba" or any other euphemism for prison rape. You got it wrong. Own that.

You could perhaps construe a schadenfreude element to Gough posting what he did, but more in the sense that Chauvin's time in jail will be unpleasant with restricted movement and only bottom-feeders for company. (My guess is he'll just keep to himself, stay in his cell and finish writing that book of his.)

Gough probably should've said "paedophiles", as it's them and snitches who are targeted by the general prison population and kept in separate units.

Last edited:
Gough made a clear reference to Chauvin having to do his jail time in protective custody with all the "sex offenders".
There was no reference to "sharing a cell with Bubba" or any other euphemism for prison rape.

There's plenty of euphemisms for prison rape given that people won't just come out and say it. Spending time with and getting to know rapists is one of the more obvious ones.

There was no reference to "sharing a cell with Bubba" or any other euphemism for prison rape. You got it wrong. Own that.

You could perhaps construe a schadenfreude element to Gough posting what he did, but more in the sense that Chauvin's time in jail will be unpleasant with restricted movement and only bottom-feeders for company. (My guess is he'll just keep to himself, stay in his cell and finish writing that book of his.)

Gough probably should've said "paedophiles", as it's them and snitches AKA dogs who are targeted by the general prison population.
Regular sex offenders don't need protective custody. Jails are full of them and rapists are not looked down upon in there.
Gough has a rich history of wishing sexual violence upon people he dislikes, including children.

if she believes the decision to be unjust then she should say what she said AFTER the case is concluded, not DURING it. It is not acceptable for a SITTING CONGRESSWOMEN to be making public comments on a case that is UNDER TRIAL.

she could have seriously interrupted the case and caused a possible mistrial.
Jurors were instructed by the Judge to avoid all news media during the trial.

It's a moot point, I think. Chauvin received as fair a trial as he's ever likely to get under the circumstances. He already had virtually an entire nation pronouncing his guilt. Everyone on the jury had already seen the footage or a still photo of him kneeling on Floyd. They weren't living on the moon for the past 12 months. They'd seen the reaction: all the protests & riots in every major city with dozens/hundreds of politicians and mayors calling for an end to police brutality and racism.

How would that have come about?

if the judge hadn't of warned jurors not to watch news programs than her words could have swayed democratic voters in the jury.

what happens in a case where these type of remarks slip through to jurors. Escpecially todays world where everything is linked on a phone.

If we cant agree that sitting congress members should not be commenting on live cases is wrong, than man, I feel sorry for us.

Last edited:
There's plenty of euphemisms for prison rape given that people won't just come out and say it. Spending time with and getting to know rapists is one of the more obvious ones.
There is no correlation between prison rape and the sex offences in the outside world which sees those sex offenders jailed.

If anything, the weaklings who prey upon women are more likely to be made someone's b1tch in prison.

Jurors were instructed by the Judge to avoid all news media during the trial.

It's a moot point, I think. Chauvin received as fair a trial as he's ever likely to get under the circumstances. He already had virtually an entire nation pronouncing his guilt. Everyone on the jury had already seen the footage or a still photo of him kneeling on Floyd. They weren't living on the moon for the past 12 months. They'd seen the reaction: all the protests & riots in every major city with dozens/hundreds of politicians and mayors calling for an end to police brutality and racism.

i don't think its moot at all.

Imagine is Scomo or a senior Australian Senate member was commenting publicity on live court cases in Australia. There would be absoluter uproar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back