Politics Black Lives Matter

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I dunno this is a good question which I've asked before. You almost never ever see indigenous kids playing the game even mucking around at home or a school, it's a shame.
Dunno if this has been answered because I haven’t been able to go through all the new pages but I believe it’s similar to soccer being the sport of choice over cricket for black people in a England. Cricket is an expensive game to play, starting with bats, balls and stumps before getting into pads, boxes etc. Whereas to play footy (or soccer), all you need is a ball. Given Aboriginal people are statistically more likely to be disadvantaged, it’s not surprising.

It often works out that way, in the minds of those who reduce complex issues and conflicting principles into a single, black or white argument. No pun intended.

History is replete with examples of men defending a personal hierarchy of principles.
Robert E Lee springs to mind. They tore down his statue too.
History is also replete with people trying to complicate simple black and white issues and turn them into something they are not, thus De Kock should have simply taken the knee as a gesture against racism, and Robert E Lee should never have had a statue in the first place.

Yes, it's his right to fight someone telling him what to do. You disagree?

And it's had a bigger impact than cricket players taking a knee has had.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
In this case the 'bigger impact' has been nothing more than to cloud the issue and give 'certain types' a platform to deride the entire BLM movement in a way they otherwise wouldn't have had. He should have just done what he was told in the first place in this instance.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
It leads into each other, when I played sport I was trying to achieve for my team and for myself. Society was not on my mind at that minute. Now the outcome does have a positive impact on society which is a good thing at the end of it because ultimately we are all part of society.
But again I will say that in the moment the sportsperson is not thinking about society and these other things when they are playing.
I get why it's very important and I am not saying it isn't. Maybe I am typing in another language? I will say it again that when a sportsman is playing a sport he is thinking solely about the game itself, in that minute nothing else will be of importance to him or her. It does not mean they don't care about society, it does not mean they are bad people, it does not mean that they think society issues are not important.
Were SA insisting that he take a knee whilst batting or wicketkeeping?

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
In this case the 'bigger impact' has been nothing more than to cloud the issue and give 'certain types' a platform to deride the entire BLM movement in a way they otherwise wouldn't have had. He should have just done what he was told in the first place in this instance.

Garbage… he has shown himself to be s man of integrity and of free thinking not a sheep and a hypocrite…
I suppose you are going to go all Tony Armstrong and say how hurt you were and were seeing red even though it had nothing to do with him.

Garbage… he has shown himself to be s man of integrity and of free thinking not a sheep and a hypocrite…
I suppose you are going to go all Tony Armstrong and say how hurt you were and were seeing red even though it had nothing to do with him.
Men of integrity don't go to water at the first sign of their livelihood being imperilled.

Right, so he was a 'man of integrity' for not going along with the anti-racism gesture and then reversing his position almost immediately?

Ben The Donkey

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
History is also replete with people trying to complicate simple black and white issues and turn them into something they are not, thus De Kock should have simply taken the knee as a gesture against racism, and Robert E Lee should never have had a statue in the first place.
Lee found slavery to be abhorrent.
He found himself to be on the side of the Confederacy largely because he found people like you even more so. I have to admit to a certain empathy in that regard.

Interesting, isn't it, that I would take up a gun to defend your freedom to display your ignorance, but you would take one up to force me to my knees in subjugation to it.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

BLM has officially lost all substance.
... did you read the article?

His withdrawal and refusal to take a knee (which is a silly phrase, really) provoked the conversation, and what it's done has animated his position, provided context and a basis for understanding. The quotes contained denote not racism, but a shock at how rapidly the management dropped something that heavy on him and an initial reaction of, "What?" His comments in there were not boilerplate.

That conversation is the point of BLM and taking a knee. You do not change minds with a closed fist and violence.

If I were you, I'd be a good deal angrier at the media who have portrayed this as him being forced or pushed into doing it. He's had time to think about it, and he's considered what he thinks; he's clearly a person who has zero issue saying no or being different for a moral reason. Being an individual or dissenting isn't the problem; how he's been portrayed in the media is the problem.

Lee found slavery to be abhorrent.
He found himself to be on the side of the Confederacy largely because he found people like you even more so. I have to admit to a certain empathy in that regard.

Interesting, isn't it, that I would take up a gun to defend your freedom to display your ignorance, but you would take one up to force me to my knees in subjugation to it.

Lee betrayed his country he had sworn to serve in order to fight for the right of people to keep slaves. Dress it up however you like, but those are the facts. And you are completely correct that he found anti-racists to be abhorrent, and I have no doubt that you have more than a little empathy for that position as well.

Ben The Donkey

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lee betrayed his country he had sworn to serve in order to fight for the right of people to keep slaves. Dress it up however you like, but those are the facts. And you are completely correct that he found anti-racists to be abhorrent, and I have no doubt that you have more than a little empathy for that position as well.
It doesn't sound like you and facts are all that well acquainted, so I'm going to dismiss your conclusions.
I didn't miss the strawman, but I'll just take that as further evidence you're not here to actually discuss anything, but rather to force your morals down other people's throats.

You're a good example of why movements always seek to eliminate the educated. They don't like having their own hypocrisy exposed, it's bad for the cause.
Keep the mob ignorant and compliant, on their knees. That's how you get what you want.
Isn't it.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Do you think his apology indicates that he would do things differently if he had his time again?
Let me get it straight
- Before it was made compulsory, he didn't do it because......?
- When it was made compulsory, he didn't do it because he didn't think it should be made compulsory
- When it was made really compulsory he did it because he didn't think it should be made compulsory, but......?

Let me get it straight
- When it was made compulsory, he didn't do it because he didn't think it should be made compulsory
- When it was made really compulsory he did it because he didn't think it should be made compulsory, but......?
Simone Biles level backflipping.

It doesn't sound like you and facts are all that well acquainted, so I'm going to dismiss your conclusions.
I didn't miss the strawman, but I'll just take that as further evidence you're not here to actually discuss anything, but rather to force your morals down other people's throats.

You're a good example of why movements always seek to eliminate the educated. They don't like having their own hypocrisy exposed, it's bad for the cause.
Keep the mob ignorant and compliant, on their knees. That's how you get what you want.
Isn't it.
Please, feel free to make your argument as to how the man who fought on the side of slaveholders to uphold the institution of slavery was somehow anti-slavery.

Ben The Donkey

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Let me get it straight
Similar sort of reason a schoolboy being forced to wear a tie wears it around his waist.

Ben The Donkey

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Please, feel free to make your argument as to how the man who fought on the side of slaveholders to uphold the institution of slavery was somehow anti-slavery.
I don't need to make an argument, it's established fact. He did fight on the side of slaveholders, but not to uphold the institution of slavery.
Go read his letters to his wife, and while you're there, read up on non-sequiturs.

I do find it amusing that you're telling me I'm "free" to make an argument. Clearly, that principle is not one you agree with, if your conduct in this thread is any indication.

I don't need to make an argument, it's established fact. He did fight on the side of slaveholders, but not to uphold the institution of slavery.
Go read his letters to his wife, and while you're there, read up on non-sequiturs.

I do find it amusing that you're telling me I'm "free" to make an argument. Clearly, that principle is not one you agree with, if your conduct in this thread is any indication.
Okay then, so what was Robert E Lee fighting for? Feel free to make your argument, and I say that as someone who agrees with that principle otherwise I wouldn't have said it, I was just making sure that you knew that just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't welcome you making an argument.

Back