Politics Black Lives Matter

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought it was obvious. The employment gap between aboriginals and non-aboriginals narrows the higher aboriginal educational attainment is. As it does for all people.
Yeah mate. That was your whole post.

😂

To point out how ridiculous you were being.

But that was the point. To get a reaction.

Good times.
You're just another virtue signaller who considers Aboriginals to be nothing more an anthropological exhibit. Shame on you.

Maybe there could be a trade off. Increase Aboriginal high school graduation rates in return for a change of date.
Dunno what celebrating the founding of a prison colony in NSW has to do with Australia but I think you are right about increasing High School graduation rates. So we should make sure we teach English as a second (or third) language in remote indigenous communities and teach "Aboriginal English" which is a local dialect usually, in areas where local blackfellas no longer speak traditional languages when young indigenous kids start their schooling.

This more than anything else will encourage indigenous kids to stay at school for the duration.

Really.
And when they leave school, what sort of work is going to be available to them if their horizons have been broadened enough for them not to want to live in isolated communities any more?
One of the most difficult thing facing immigrants when they try to find work in Australia is a lack of aptitude for the language. Fully qualified doctors and engineers end up in low paying service or factory work because they can't communicate effectively. I've worked alongside an Indian fellow, an engineer, who managed a power station in his home country, but his accent was so broad he was virtually incomprehensible at times. Started out in a customer service role in utilities based on his experience with the subject, couldn't hold that down because people would hang up thinking they were talking to someone in India and couldn't understand what he was saying, and then he was moved to an entry-level admin position. Last I heard he'd moved to Sydney to work on a chocolate factory floor.

And your "solution" to keep Aboriginal kids in school is to teach them in a language which is not applicable to the outside world? What choices will they have, post-schooling?
I suppose we can hope they're good enough at kicking a footy around to open some doors.

Really.
And when they leave school, what sort of work is going to be available to them if their horizons have been broadened enough for them not to want to live in isolated communities any more?
One of the most difficult thing facing immigrants when they try to find work in Australia is a lack of aptitude for the language. Fully qualified doctors and engineers end up in low paying service or factory work because they can't communicate effectively. I've worked alongside an Indian fellow, an engineer, who managed a power station in his home country, but his accent was so broad he was virtually incomprehensible at times. Started out in a customer service role in utilities based on his experience with the subject, couldn't hold that down because people would hang up thinking they were talking to someone in India and couldn't understand what he was saying, and then he was moved to an entry-level admin position. Last I heard he'd moved to Sydney to work on a chocolate factory floor.

And your "solution" to keep Aboriginal kids in school is to teach them in a language which is not applicable to the outside world? What choices will they have, post-schooling?
I suppose we can hope they're good enough at kicking a footy around to open some doors.
Its literally the reality.

English is a second or in some cases third language for many remote indigenous kids. Teaching them like they should already know it is guaranteed to cause poor schooling outcomes if they don't. Why would you turn up to a primary school where you don't understand what is happening and may get in trouble for not understanding what is happening?

I'm not saying don't teach them how to use English properly. Only an idiot would think that. But if you want anyone to learn English properly then teach them in the language they learned first. You could immerse them in the language I guess but that would mean removing them from their homes and families and send them to a city or large town but we have a truckload of historical evidence about how poorly that works out.

Shut up then.

Silly little Balatron, Im rather happy with Australia day. I'm not running around like a half blind gerbil with a bachelor of origami whining about "invasion day"

I'm not saying don't teach them how to use English properly. Only an idiot would think that. But if you want anyone to learn English properly then teach them in the language they learned first

In what writing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silly little Balatron, Im rather happy with Australia day. I'm not running around like a half blind gerbil with a bachelor of origami whining about "invasion day"

In what writing?
You are whining about it. Australia Day includes all the debate about Australia Day. Part of the bewdy of living in Orstraya meds.

Did you learn to write before you could speak? Well done.

:clapping::clapping:

Dunno what celebrating the founding of a prison colony in NSW has to do with Australia but I think you are right about increasing High School graduation rates. So we should make sure we teach English as a second (or third) language in remote indigenous communities and teach "Aboriginal English" which is a local dialect usually, in areas where local blackfellas no longer speak traditional languages when young indigenous kids start their schooling.

This more than anything else will encourage indigenous kids to stay at school for the duration.

I'm from WA, 26 January has nothing to do with us. It's NSW Day as far as I'm concerned.

Most Aboriginals are urbanites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back