Black Magic: The best Aboriginal 18 of all time:

Remove this Banner Ad

Atm we have to highlight and celebrate indigenous players due to racism. To change the ingrained perception of some.

But i think at some point we need to stop, or it will have an adverse affect.
Already is, you imagine there being a footy show where it's known they only have caucasian footballers on the show.
And also Aboriginal people are racist towards caucasians too on occasion.

If this was done to say the best Caucasian players ever, can you imagine the abuse. shows how some things are different. :think:
Do one then if you want to celebrate that mate, I can't say I understand what the issue is with celebrating those of a diverse background.
I'm aboriginal, so I am biased.

Becsyse
Do one then if you want to celebrate that mate, I can't say I understand what the issue is with celebrating those of a diverse background.
I'm aboriginal, so I am biased.
I think we are all equal footing, people like your self with aboriginal background have had years to better your lives and I'm sure most do just that, I'm against isolating a particular group of people like that show does, when if done the other way for only Caucasian people there works be an outcry and it would be axed straight away.

Already is, you imagine there being a footy show where it's known they only have caucasian footballers on the show.
And also Aboriginal people are racist towards caucasians too on occasion.
Every person and every culture on the planet uses racist thought and action. The only differences are the degrees and the motives. It is a completely natural human action to use stereotypes to govern our interactions with others. And because that's a position based upon ignorance and we're a supposedly intelligent and sentient species, that's what we have to combat.

The situation in Australia is that aborigines were treated horribly, for want of better terms, for two centuries from the moment a Caucasian population took their land, and created the conditions that aborigines were forced to live under. If you want that to change, the us v them mentality that has always driven race relations has to be constantly combatted and highlighted so that people are viewing things through knowledge, not preconception. We're no longer applying the term "black magic" to aboriginal footballers like it's some indescribable mystery, but instead describing their attributes in normal footy terms. We're not saying it's "born in 'em", we're instead looking at populations and identifying athletes and footy environments, of which aboriginal communities, through social factors and not just race as previously thought, seem to be a goldmine. By dropping the barriers, and promoting instead of gawking, the Syd Jacksons of this era don't have to put up with bullshit as the norm, and there is an outcry from everyone when they do...

So when we put up an aboriginal best 18, we're recognising the quality of a particular group in footy terms, and pushing via equity. Yeah, go ahead, pick a best Caucasian 18, noone will stop you, and if they try they don't get it either...in some ways though, we just don't need to...

wirrapanda may wanganeen
C Johnson Goodes Mcleod
P Krakeour Cable J Krakeour
Oloughlin S Michael C Rioli
J Farmer L Franklin E Betts

G Farmer P Matera M Rioli

Bench
M Long B Pickett S Burgoyne M Mitchell

Last edited:
wirrapanda may wanganeen
C Johnson Goodes Mcleod
P Krakeour Cable J Krakeour
Oloughlin S Michael C Rioli
J Farmer L Franklin C Rioli

G Farmer M Mitchell M Rioli

Bench
M Long B Pickett S Burgoyne P Burgoyne

C Rioli named twice mate
Betts would get the FP role
No Winmar, Matera bros,

Great team otherwise

C Rioli named twice mate
Betts would get the FP role
No Winmar, Matera bros,

Great team otherwise
Sorry was supposed to be Betts forward pocket.

I don’t think Matera qualifies or doesn’t recognise himself indigenous, otherwise he is in no doubt.

Winmar not good enough.

B - Gavin Wanganeen, Steven May, Darryl White
FB - Chris Johnson, Adam Goodes, Andy McLeod
C - Nicky Winmar, Maurice Rioli Snr, Michael Long
HF - Cyril Rioli, Lance Franklin, Peter Matera
F - Eddie Betts, Michael O'Loughlin, Jeff Farmer
Ruck - Polly Farmer, Barry Cable, Shaun Burgoyne
Int - Syd Jackson, David Wirrpanda, Michael McLean, Chris Lewis

I don’t think Matera qualifies or doesn’t recognise himself indigenous, otherwise he is in no doubt.

Winmar not good enough.

Where do you get Matera doesn't recognise as Indigenous LOL

Winmar 251 games, 317 goals is good enough in my books

Winmar not good enough.
Peter Matera certainly qualifies. Ex-Cat Gary Malarkey should be a strong candidate as well for a key defensive position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going only with players I've seen (late 90's onwards):

Chris Johnson - Steven May - Gavin Wanganeen
David Wirrpanda - Michael Johnson - Andrew McLeod
Peter Matera - Peter Burgoyne - Michael Long
Michael O'Laughlin - Adam Goodes - Michael Walters
Cyril Rioli - Lance Franklin - Eddie Betts
Paddy Ryder - Shaun Burgoyne - Shane Edwards
Darryl White - Daniel Wells - Phillip Matera - Graham Johncock

I think we are all equal footing, people like your self with aboriginal background have had years to better your lives and I'm sure most do just that, I'm against isolating a particular group of people like that show does, when if done the other way for only Caucasian people there works be an outcry and it would be axed straight away.

Many aboriginal footballers possess athletic qualities not many can emulate.
Seriously, when it comes to jumping ability, balance, kicking effortlessly on the opposite foot from long distance and pure speed . . . I can only think of Ablett Snr, Koutoufides, Modra, Gehrig, Waterhouse, Schwarz pre-ACL and then obviously Judd and Akermanis but neither were very good jumpers.

M.Mitchell, Farmer, C.Rioli, Franklin, Farmer, Goodes, Wanganeen, Abraham, White, Winmar . . . absolute world class in terms of God-given natural abilities.

Becsyse

What a strange and disturbing comment.

Massive lack of people picking Winston Abraham in this thread. That guy was unreal and injury cost him a great career and us the chance to see it.

Also - Jim and Phil Krakouer changed footy.

The way they used space inspired Dennis Pagan and he created a strategy using space known as Pagan's Paddock. Originally there were other fast players who could run into space in his u19s side that did that role but Wayne Carey made it famous.

That's why we have the sort of zone defense we have today - to stop the use of space to attack. its also why its so much harder for forwards to kick huge season tally's. because it was so damaging that good coaches found ways to counter it. Its a direct result of those two brothers playing great footy together.

Whats weird is that you dont think that if they had a show where it was excluding aboriginal players appearing on there, that there wouldn't be an outcry and the show been taken off immediately.

What is beyond weird is that you have no idea about Aboriginal people, you have no idea about my thoughts and that your earlier comments were highly racist.

What i wrote was racist? wow, get an idea about the meaning of that word, because is was not that way in any way.

I understand racism more and it’s devastating impact more than most.
Your comment
‘people like your self with aboriginal background have had years to better your lives’

I would suggest this is highly racist.

I understand racism more and it’s devastating impact more than most.
Your comment
‘people like your self with aboriginal background have had years to better your lives’

I would suggest this is highly racist.
Like i said racist is is not, but if it helps you to think most comments are racist, like a lot of people when they are opinions and not hate, then feel free to have it live inside your head. means nothing to me.

Like i said racist is is not, but if it helps you to think most comments are racist, like a lot of people when they are opinions and not hate, then feel free to have it live inside your head. means nothing to me.

As I said I know racism as well as anyone and that comment was explicitly racist.

2 things, 1st - what a sad world you live inside your head to think like that, and 2nd - I don't care

Actually I live in an amazing world ‘inside my head’ and I am having the best life. It’s evident you don’t care, people with racists attitudes don’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back