Black Magic: The best Aboriginal 18 of all time:

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever people claims Sheedy has done for indigenous footy players, Mal the Mouth had already done it years before.

Browny for all his negative points, championed the indigenous folk for many years before the VFL started to pay attention.

Mal also has the added distinction of taking on & knocking-out a quarter of the Bombers side single-handedly out at Windy-Hill in the 1974 brawl....He did the same thing to Carlton just 2 years prior.....How could anyone not love him for that?

Whatever people claims Sheedy has done for indigenous footy players, Mal the Mouth had already done it years before.

Browny for all his negative points, championed the indigenous folk for many years before the VFL started to pay attention.

It is sickening to the core to see recalcitrant johnnie-come-latelies like Richmond and Essendon play a "dreamtime game."

It is sickening to the core to see recalcitrant johnnie-come-latelies like Richmond and Essendon play a "dreamtime game."

If you think about all the 3 club colours of the 2 teams combined, then it might just dawn on you the reason why.

A very good stab at an all-time indigenous team, although it's a bit lite on pre-1980s footballers. As per the official Indigenous team of the century,

Bill Dempsey (West Perth)
Norm McDonald (Essendon)
Syd Jackson (East Perth, Carlton)
Ted Kilmurray (East Perth)
Michael Graham (Sturt)
David Kantilla (South Adelaide)

And Stephen Michael needs to be in the starting 18, as the last champion footballer (with Gary McIntosh) not to play in the V/AFL.

A very good stab at an all-time indigenous team, although it's a bit lite on pre-1980s footballers. As per the official Indigenous team of the century,

Bill Dempsey (West Perth)
Norm McDonald (Essendon)
Ted Kilmurray (East Perth)
Michael Graham (Sturt)
David Kantilla (South Adelaide)

And Stephen Michael needs to be in the starting 18, as the last champion footballer (with Gary McIntosh) not to play in the V/AFL.

Michael is not getting in ahead of Polly, in any universe that respects common-sense.

Of course not, Polly is number one on my own list of greatest footballers, so he's a fixture. Just need to balance all the small men with some marking height.

Of course not, Polly is number one on my own list of greatest footballers, so he's a fixture. Just need to balance all the small men with some marking height.

And slow-down the quickest lightning-fast forward-line in the history of forward-lines?

All of Goodes, Buddy & Mickey O are perfectly capable in the air....With Sizzle & Nicky also capable of taking hangers when needed.....Betts & Sizzle will mop up anything that hits the dirt; While all the other 4 are just as good on the ground as they are in the air.

I did give Syd a shout-out earlier on in the thread....Actually wore his number five s a kid, before choosing a team of my own at the age of 8....My parents were both mad Carlton, as we lived in & grew up in the Carlton high-rise projects as children.....Carlton/Richmond & Carlton/Collingwood rivalries back then - in the early 70's - were huge events.....There was nothing bigger on planet earth to match it.

Syd played quite well in both the 1970 & 1972 Premierships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could we get a less offensive title?

Context my dear PC unsavvy podge....This thread is a celebration & acknowledgement of indigenous footballers & their unique contribution to our game.

In no way is the word you are offended by, being used in a derogatory fashion.....Tis merely a characteristic descriptor of indigenous heritage & distinctive abilities, as delineated in the title itself.

As usual with you & your PC guff.....Much ado about nothing.

Context my dear PC unsavvy podge....This thread is a celebration & acknowledgement of indigenous footballers & their unique contribution to our game.

In no way is the word you are offended by, being used in a derogatory fashion.....Tis merely a characteristic descriptor of indigenous heritage & distinctive abilities, as delineated in the title itself.

As usual with you & your PC guff.....Much ado about nothing.

I get that it's meant to be compliment, but summing up indigenous ability as black magic belies the work, and craft and other aspects that they bring to the game. A lot of racist language is intended to be positive, yet is nonetheless offensive.

I get that it's meant to be compliment, but summing up indigenous ability as black magic belies the work, and craft and other aspects that they bring to the game. A lot of racist language is intended to be positive, yet is nonetheless offensive.

No, it doesn't belie it at all.....It is you alone who are reading it in a negative connotation & projecting your own negative stereotyped interpretation writ-large.

No, it doesn't belie it at all.....It is you alone who are reading it in a negative connotation & projecting your own negative stereotyped interpretation writ-large.

Black Magic does make that connotation itself. The stereotypes you speak of come from such phrases.

Black Magic does make that connotation itself. The stereotypes you speak of come from such phrases.

I used the term because I felt it perfectly captures the essence of that unique skill-set & abilities that our indigenous brothers bring to the game...Particularly within the context & confines of our game.

Is me making the distinction of an indigenous thread also racist Podge?.....Or is it not rather a mere fact of identity, clarification, differentia & existential reality?

The word 'black' itself has neither a positive nor negative value, until someone or a culture ascribes one to it.....Colours are neutral in & of themselves....It's always about context.

Therefore, your PC guff is rendered null & void in this particular instance.

I used the term because I felt it perfectly captures the essence of that unique skill-set & abilities that our indigenous brothers bring to the game

But is there a unique skillset, or is it just a false and racist fabrication perpetrated by the AFL media?

But is there a unique skillset, or is it just a false and racist fabrication perpetrated by the AFL media?

My own personal belief is that our indigenous brothers bring a unique brand & add a magical element to our game....I mean Sizzle does things on a football field that I have seen few others capable of....Buddy also for that matter. Wingard & Burgoyne also possess that 'certain something'.

I can't quite put my finger on it, so the descriptor "Black Magic' is the best & most accurate tag I can conjure up.....Apologies if that bugs you brother.

My own personal belief is that our indigenous brothers bring a unique brand & add a magical element to our game....I mean Sizzle does things on a football field that I have seen few others capable of....Buddy also for that matter. Wingard & Burgoyne also possess that 'certain something'.

I can't quite put my finger on it, so the descriptor "Black Magic' is the best & most accurate tag I can conjure up.....Apologies if that bugs you brother.

I've seen Riolis skillset replicated best by his family or by non indigenous players moreso than simply by indigenous players. Rioli in particular was one player whose craft was often overlooked due to indigenous tropes about natural ability.

I've seen Riolis skillset replicated best by his family or by non indigenous players moreso than simply by indigenous players. Rioli in particular was one player whose craft was often overlooked due to indigenous tropes about natural ability.

It's a bit like how you mentioned in the Small forward thread, that Rioli's unique abilities & game-sense cannot be statistically measured. That only a holistic approach will do, where the sum of the whole is greater than the parts.....It's that indigenous magical component that I'm speaking about....That element is even moreso pronounced when it comes to the cream of the crop & the best of the best.

So for that reason alone I believe the thread to be well named indeed.

It's a bit like how you mentioned in the Small forward thread, that Rioli's unique abilities & game-sense cannot be statistically measured. That only a holistic approach will do, where the sum of the whole is greater than the parts.....It's that indigenous magical component that I'm speaking about....That element is even moreso pronounced when it comes to the cream of the crop & the best of the best.

So for that reason alone I believe the thread to be well named indeed.

Holistic is without race and is often based on graft as well as 'magic'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back