Remove this Banner Ad

SmAshmoto

Team Captain
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Valentino Rossi, Melbourne Stars
Hard to believe it was a decade ago today. Where were you on that day? what was your experience?

One manipulative slimeball (Brendan Sokoluk) is still serving time (unfortunately not for long) for lighting the Churchill blaze, which killed 11 people. The Murrindindi fire was started by downed power lines. Other fires went unsolved.

Let's all share our memories of that day.

Hard to believe it was a decade ago today. Where were you on that day? what was your experience?

One manipulative slimeball (Brendan Sokoluk) is still serving time (unfortunately not for long) for lighting the Churchill blaze, which killed 11 people. The Murrindindi fire was started by downed power lines. Other fires went unsolved.

Let's all share our memories of that day.
My girlfriend worked for the CFA and got a text on the Friday that conditions for the Saturday were "catastrophic". Little did we realise how catastrophic it was to be. An unbelievable day/week.

The whole week leading up to it, we were being warned about the danger. Every time I was watching news, any time of the day that it was on, the first thing was warning us about the conditions that were coming.

Obviously we had no forewarning of where any fires may be, and this may sound a bit heartless, but why did even one single child have to die that day. We had a week of warnings, get the * out of there for the day if you're in a bushfire prone area, plan in advance.

What a horrible day. I trained as a CFA 000 Call Taker about 8 months later and there were stories of operators listening on the phones as families were dying. Mothers with their kids, dying in their homes. I got through the training but never ended up doing it.

I also remember it as the day that Christine Nixon really enhanced her already s**t reputation.

The whole week leading up to it, we were being warned about the danger. Every time I was watching news, any time of the day that it was on, the first thing was warning us about the conditions that were coming.

Obviously we had no forewarning of where any fires may be, and this may sound a bit heartless, but why did even one single child have to die that day. We had a week of warnings, get the **** out of there for the day if you're in a bushfire prone area, plan in advance.

What a horrible day. I trained as a CFA 000 Call Taker about 8 months later and there were stories of operators listening on the phones as families were dying. Mothers with their kids, dying in their homes. I got through the training but never ended up doing it.

I also remember it as the day that Christine Nixon really enhanced her already s**t reputation.
Back then, if I remember correctly, people were warned to stay in their homes and Black Saturday was the catalyst for the message we now have, which is to 'get out early'.

Back then, if I remember correctly, people were warned to stay in their homes and Black Saturday was the catalyst for the message we now have, which is to 'get out early'.

I remember different. I remember Brumby saying if there is no compelling reason for you to be there on the weekend then don't be. Go and stay with friends or relatives in the city if youhave some and are able to.

It may have been the catalyst for what we have now but in that instance they were definitely told to leave and go away for the day or weekend.

I or my family was not directly affected by the fire but i still remember vividly listening to 774 all day and following what was happening . It was compelling. It left a very sad spot in my heart.

Does not feel like 10 years ago at all. I also remember the media saying all week how bad the day was going to be. Me and my brother were like 'nothing will happen, they always talk like that but nothing ever happens'. We were wrong! Fire came up our front paddocks on the day, but we were lucky, wasn't too bad, and the wind changed and pushed it north.

I was just starting high school. Remember it being ridiculously hot all week and the Friday at school was awful. I remember being at a family friends house swimming late that night and the heat was still disgusting.

Went to the movies on the Saturday, but lost power and ended up coming home early. By about 4-5pm going outside with how much heat there was, the smell of smoke and the orange sky it was almost surreal. I don’t exactly live close to any of the areas hit yet it still felt close. By about 6-7pm it was really eery and awful knowing people were dying.

I hope to never see consecutive days of that awful heat followed by the fast winds on the Saturday ever again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back