Movie Blade Runner 2049

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone seen it in 3D? Does it add to the experience?

Terrible in 3D.
The vehicles looked like flying saucers of the 50's. Didn't look real at all.
I didn't see it at the Melbourne IMAX though.

Music not a patch on Vangelis' score.
It shouldn't be there for the comparison but it's hard for it to not be, given it follows the originals path.

This is a very good movie but hasn't the punch the original had, which is quite understandable.

Pacing an issue. Probably could have been the exact same movie with 30 minutes less ambience building moments and it still would have been quite bloated. Great atmosphere and story none the less.

Yeah dragged in too many parts and was too long by 20-30 minutes. Still an amazing movie though. You really do have to watch it with the big sound in a cinema.

I enjoyed it, but it won't be for everyone. There were some great cinematic moments, but these were sometimes interspersed with some bland scenes, one or two of which could have been chopped.

The twists got me, and I found myself having flashbacks to questions I had earlier in the film that were suddenly answered.

More of this kind of film please. It probably took itself 10% too seriously, but this is better than the other sequel and reboot efforts. Not a lot of crowd-pleasing references to the original, it is its own movie, unlike The Force Awakens.

Not comparing it to Prometheus, other than that I appreciate Ridley Scott making decent sci-fi and trying something different with his franchise revivals. He's not the director of this one, but he is involved as a producer I think.

Hans Zimmer gets criticized, but his soundtrack was fantastic in my opinion. More of the same from him really, but it works so well.

Dug it. Love the brooding tone that Villeneuve generates in his movies, coupled with lush sci fi visuals and epic sound, was definitely a treat for the senses. Sexy hologram girlfriend didn't hurt the senses either (actually thought her scenes were really well done).

It's a long running time for any movie but some of my favourite parts were those slower atmospheric scenes, so I wouldn't want them to cut much that was there.

3 hours does feel a long time to be sitting in a cinema chair next to snickering hippies though.

I loved it. Only thing i didnt like is i felt the story reached to far in terms of consequences. The rebellion stuff didnt need to be there. Posing the questions of what it is to be human with the miracle was enough. Could have hung back a little more narratively.

Also am i alone in feeling these big cgi worlds feel like nobody lives there when everybscene has like 20 people in it?

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mmmmm im mixed about this movie and i was super pumped to see it.
It stays true to the original but also is refreshing as it goes off in its own story.
The twists are solid and the movie isnt predictible which is refreshing. Cgi is amazing and a benchmark moving forward. Movie seems slow in the first 3/4 quarters yet it doesnt drag and alot is happening.
I think i was a little disappointed as the reviews were so good.
A 7/10 for me, however it is worth a rewatch and my opinion may improve
I loved it. Only thing i didnt like is i felt the story reached to far in terms of consequences. The rebellion stuff didnt need to be there. Posing the questions of what it is to be human with the miracle was enough. Could have hung back a little more narratively.

Also am i alone in feeling these big cgi worlds feel like nobody lives there when everybscene has like 20 people in it?

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. Wtf was the point of the rebellion?
I guess their information set up a little suspense, but were pretty much irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Amazing.

The number of times my jaw-dropped at the sheer scale of it all... - it's the word I heard the most in reviews beforehand and it didn't disappoint. It's an obvious masterclass in filmmaking - if Roger Deakins doesn't get an Oscar for this, boycott the ******* Oscars. I found the story engaging, without hitting all the obvious tropes - it did hit some though - and there's enough room for interpretation and to think about philosophically that it holds its own. Gosling might get left out of the praise, but he was excellent.

I love how the Vegas scene was inspired by the Sydney dust storms. Frighteningly gorgeous stuff.

sydney2_getty

Have loved Villeneuve since Incendies, and to watch his progression this decade has been exhilarating. A trajectory for a director that is not only deserved but also makes sense, unlike some others (cough* Josh Trank cough* Colin Trevorrow).

9.5/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the original again on Friday and still love it. Flying cars, rain, Rutger's attack ships monologue, Daryl Hannah's craziness, funny little robot men, the Vangelis soundtrack, did I mention the rain?

Watched BR2049 at IMAX today and was very impressed without loving it like the first one. Villeneuve has really captured the essence of the Blade Runner world and it is a worthy sequel. Visually it is stunning and I liked that the Zimmer score echoed the orginal Vangelis. I'm not a huge Gosling fan but his single facial expression delivery worked in this role. Sylvia Hoeks was great at the evil bitch replicant, Luv. I thought the plot was convincing and the way they brought Deckard back into the story was well done. It was possibly a little long and one paced but overall it was enjoyable experience - enhanced by seeing it at IMAX.

(Can't wait for Villeneuve's Dune!).

Powerful.

Ironically the soundtrack reminded me of a Drive but done by an Orchestra.
I found the soundtrack went a bit too "Inception" with the whole wall of sound thing. The original synth hypnotic melody style i think sets the vibe more effectively. But i get you cant just rehash. Too much distortion for mine.

Also having rewated the original on netflix, i appreciate the directors/final cuts a lot more. Those bloody voiceovers!!!

I would hazard the rebellion was laying the groundwork for a sequel but its box office take may scupper that.
It would be doing well at the box office, wouldnt it?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Failed to find a new audience, so it’s only managed to draw long time fans of the original.

Also there won’t be a sequel to this film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the soundtrack went a bit too "Inception" with the whole wall of sound thing. The original synth hypnotic melody style i think sets the vibe more effectively. But i get you cant just rehash. Too much distortion for mine.

Also having rewated the original on netflix, i appreciate the directors/final cuts a lot more. Those bloody voiceovers!!!

I saw this on a large VMax screen. I sat close to the front and as far from others as I could and I found the "wall of sound" really helped bring me into the desolation/scope of the world. This was a much "bigger" movie than the original in many respects and I think the score reflected that. I know a lot of people don't enjoy a lot of distortion/bass, but I do. It hit me and, as mentioned earlier, found it incredibly powerful.

I have really enjoyed the 80's synth revival in cinema in recent times, but it's almost getting to point where it has been overdone. Also, the Original movie was trying to be futuristic with it's use of synth. The problem this movie faced was whether to be "nostalgic" or "futuristic". Kind of hard to be both.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back