Blaine Boekhorst - oooops

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That isn't how it works. Just because I support a team who may or may not also have a few busts, it doesn't mean I can't laugh at other club's failures. Unless you somehow think I'm involved in Essendon's list management and are responsible for any of Essendon's drafting selections?

If you want to laugh at Francis/Kavanagh/Gumbleton being failures then you can do so in their respective threads. Otherwise, put a smile on your dial and join in celebrating the career of the legend that is Blake Boakherst.
The highlighted section tell us all we need to know about you..

I think everyone can and should laugh at the Blaine Bratwurst situation. Terrible drafting. It was the wrong call at the time, it has been proven to be the wrong call.

Wish the guy all the best in his future endeavours, etc, etc, but FFS GTFO of CFC. In the nicest possible way.

Good old Blaine Bubble-burst. So much excitement on the Carlton board when Laverde slid, so much angst when Blaine's name was read out instead
that would have killed me (far worse than us taking Morgan when Bonner, Balic, Clarke and Mathieson were all still there).

I thought Laverde would be top 10 (and Langford top 5..seriously thought the Pies would get him).
Still happy with that draft.

I think everyone can and should laugh at the Blaine Bratwurst situation. Terrible drafting. It was the wrong call at the time, it has been proven to be the wrong call.

Wish the guy all the best in his future endeavours, etc, etc, but FFS GTFO of CFC. In the nicest possible way.
Did Rogers know he was being replaced prior to the draft?

No worse a choice than the countless other guys who haven't made it after being drafted in the teens or early 20s. Without looking up any stats, I'd suggest that well in excess of 50% of guys drafted in this range don't sustain a long term career. He was closer to the grade than many others picked around this mark over the years.

that would have killed me (far worse than us taking Morgan when Bonner, Balic, Clarke and Mathieson were all still there).

I thought Laverde would be top 10 (and Langford top 5..seriously thought the Pies would get him).

Do you care about whether the guys drafted become solid AFL footballers? Or do you only care about whether on the day you considered them to have gone later than you thought they were going to go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was an bombers supporter I wouldn't be too chirpy, as after 3 years Laverde and Landford are yet to show they are AFL standard and next year would be just about make or break for the 2 of them. Pretty decent odds one of them is a bust.

If I was an bombers supporter I wouldn't be too chirpy, as after 3 years Laverde and Landford are yet to show they are AFL standard and next year would be just about make or break for the 2 of them. Pretty decent odds one of them is a bust.
not chirpy at all.
I'm sympathising. Your recruiter seemed intent on screwing the club up at that draft. Hence why i asked if he knew prior to the draft about being replacing by SOS.

We've all have our "reach" stories
Steinberg over Parker is ours. Morgan over Bonner will be one too i think

I reckon both Lav and Langford will be fine.
Lav just needs a run where he doesn't get a long term injury (much like Cripps really)
Langford will play Rd.1. He will replace Watson as our inside mid. Spent a lot of this year in the VFL honing his skill in that position.

not chirpy at all.
I'm sympathising. Your recruiter seemed intent on screwing the club up at that draft. Hence why i asked if he knew prior to the draft about being replacing by SOS.

Lav just needs a run where he doesn't get a long term injury (much like Cripps really)
Langford will play Rd.1. He will replace Watson as our inside mid. Spent a lot of this year in the VFL honing his skill in that position.

I don't think Rogers was intentionally trying to fail, he put in a lot of hours and the types chosen were fine. He just wasn't very good at it, as evidenced by his drafting record in its entirety. Pretty ugly reading other than Cripps and the Docherty trade. He walked out shortly after SOS arrived as he had an issue around the list management interfering with the names he wished to call.

I don't think Rogers was intentionally trying to fail, he put in a lot of hours and the types chosen were fine. He just wasn't very good at it, as evidenced by his drafting record in its entirety. Pretty ugly reading other than Cripps and the Docherty trade. He walked out shortly after SOS arrived as he had an issue around the list management interfering with the names he wished to call.
fair enough
Cant say the club didn't make the right move.
SOS has barely wasted a pick or trade since he arrived.

not chirpy at all.

I reckon there is a fair level of Schadenfaude here (hey we all do it on Big Footy) except that in this case I would be trying to avoid the kama bus given the performance of the players that went either side of Blaine.

Laverde has struggled to get on the park and when he has he has been a flakey HF. Statistically he has got worse in each of his 3 seasons. Not exactly the same as Cripps who won a B&F in this 2nd year.

Langford played from round 1 this year until Wosha ran out of patience. Love how he is now training to be an inside mid as if that is something that can be easily learned by a soft outside player that drifts in and out of games. Massive difference between getting a kick in the 2s and the 1s.

Langford played from round 1 this year until Wosha ran out of patience. Love how he is now training to be an inside mid as if that is something that can be easily learned by a soft outside player that drifts in and out of games. Massive difference between getting a kick in the 2s and the 1s.

He's not soft, he just lacks awareness and doesn't have a lot of presence for a guy his size. Agree it's going to be difficult to bring him up to speed as an inside mid though. The best inside mids are usually natural stat-getters right from the start.

Looks capable up forward, but can't maintain through a game. Goes missing too easily.

No worse a choice than the countless other guys who haven't made it after being drafted in the teens or early 20s. Without looking up any stats, I'd suggest that well in excess of 50% of guys drafted in this range don't sustain a long term career. He was closer to the grade than many others picked around this mark over the years.

It was the principle of the thing - reaching for an over-ager with the first pick - that offends me so. Nothing personal against Bratwurst. I'd love him to have succeeded.

Yeah 2 good pick ups for you but the 2014 draft as a whole is looking pretty poor...every draft has top 20 busts but there are plenty of busts so far from that draft. Probably one of the worst drafts in recent memory when looking at quantity of players that become regulars and then the quantity that become actual AFL stars or at least look like reaching that level.

I actually had no idea how crap this draft was! Just went back through it - it was balls really wasn't it!!

I actually had no idea how crap this draft was! Just went back through it - it was balls really wasn't it!!
its still too early to call for me.
I look at the 2013 draft (year earlier) and the form of players in 2016.
Merrett, Bont, Crouch and Cripps had ripper years. thats about it. Boyd had a great finals series.
Then you look at this year (4 years later). Billings, Salem, Kelly, Sheed, Jones, Acres (at times), Taylor, Nank, Knight, Ben Brown, Fantasia, Sicily, Hunt, Harmes, Cameron, Jake Kelly, Byrne - all really started to show they're going to be good footballers.

2018 is the year to judge the 2014 crop.
Im more than happy with Langford, Laverde and Redman to date.

There is a lot of talent that should be up for a big 2018
Tracc, Brayshaw, Wright, Moore, Weller, Lever, De Goey, Marchbank, Heeney, Steele, Miller, ANB, Stretch, McGov, Daniel, Dale, McLean, Andrews, Saad, Melican

Ess fans seems quite bullish on Long as well. As does the club. Im reserving my judgment here, but the last player i doubted could make the jump was Tippa, so wtf do i know.

Expectations on kids to come in and start playing year 1 or 2 is a little unreasonable.
Some will. But most will need time to hit their peak.

It was the principle of the thing - reaching for an over-ager with the first pick - that offends me so. Nothing personal against Bratwurst. I'd love him to have succeeded.
the story goes that Rogers was crossing players off the bottom of his list as clubs made their first rd picks.
If true, you're either the only smart one in the room or the only dumb one. There isn't much middle ground.

On the bright side, carlton can move on and be happy with their last few drafts.
This one should be a good one too. Really like the list they are building.

Are Richmond fans allowed to point and laugh? Still too soon after Tambling?
Maybe Vickery?
Maybe Conca?
Maybe Lemon?

Nah **** it I'm laughing.

Makes it more crazy to think Richmond won the premiership despite barely any input from their recent first round draft picks...Corey Ellis included.

Instead all the great value came later in the draft from guys like Castagna, Butler, McInstosh, Lambert etc.
Just goes to show work ethic > talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back