Blaine Boekhorst - oooops

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With pick 7 we could have had Peter Wright or Jake Lever. One of the worst trades in our history.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We could have taken Wright or Lever with pick 7, but with Rogers at the helm, he revealed in a interview after the draft that he would have taken Liam Duggan, he's an ok young prospect and would be a handy player to have, but I'm kinda meh on Duggan, still a disaster of a trade and SOS even tried to warn Carlton that KJ had issues.

Last edited:

I thought he had more to offer than Matt Shaw.

But then again Jarrod Garlett is a nice risk/reward outside runner with skills, so maybe you get him in and you get Shaw who can play straight away and is far more competitive than both of them.

Shaw is more about the solid body protecting the kids. The heavy contested work wasn't Boeky's go unfortunately.

That's not Matt Shaw's go either though.

He's harder at it than Boekhorst. He will put his body on the line, at least according to his suspension vids.

He has experience though so will be a voice in the VFL at least.

They did draft Cripps when not many thought he wouldn't go that high, easily your best selection in a long time.

Yep a big tick on that one. Rogers took 21 pics in the ND and rookie drafts for 1 hit, 1 possible with Byrne, and 19 misses. Not a great strike rate.

Matt Shaw got ragdolled by an 18 year old josh begley in the nab cup last year, don't think physicality is his strong suit

Let me try again. He is a 25 year old physically developed player with 102 games of experience. We have so many kids, we had to add a couple of older heads around them. Shaw is more developed than Boekhorst who never put on any size and was not physical at all.

Clearly we have recruited him for a specific purpose and I'll trust in that. It is probably only a 1 year deal anyway.

Yeah add me to the list that is surprised that you'd actively bring Shaw onto a list over Boekhorst. Particularly after the respective years each just had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Shaw got ragdolled by an 18 year old josh begley in the nab cup last year, don't think physicality is his strong suit
With all due respect to Shaw

If you watched over last preseason or the essendon vfl side this year, Shaw isnt the first or last player he has done it to either

I actually had no idea how crap this draft was! Just went back through it - it was balls really wasn't it!!
its still too early to call for me.
I look at the 2013 draft (year earlier) and the form of players in 2016.
Merrett, Bont, Crouch and Cripps had ripper years. thats about it. Boyd had a great finals series.
Then you look at this year (4 years later). Billings, Salem, Kelly, Sheed, Jones, Acres (at times), Taylor, Nank, Knight, Ben Brown, Fantasia, Sicily, Hunt, Harmes, Cameron, Jake Kelly, Byrne - all really started to show they're going to be good footballers.

2018 is the year to judge the 2014 crop.
Im more than happy with Langford, Laverde and Redman to date.

There is a lot of talent that should be up for a big 2018
Tracc, Brayshaw, Wright, Moore, Weller, Lever, De Goey, Marchbank, Heeney, Steele, Miller, ANB, Stretch, McGov, Daniel, Dale, McLean, Andrews, Saad, Melican

Ess fans seems quite bullish on Long as well. As does the club. Im reserving my judgment here, but the last player i doubted could make the jump was Tippa, so wtf do i know.

Expectations on kids to come in and start playing year 1 or 2 is a little unreasonable.
Some will. But most will need time to hit their peak.
I don't mind that draft, TBH. Paddy McCartin gets a lot of flack, but he's only twenty-one years old. He needs to wear head protection, though - no matter how unflattering it may look. He still oozes untapped class, but obviously injury woes and developmental setbacks are a factor.

Petracca is genuinely freaky, too. He hasn't had a breakout year yet, but you only have to watch his games this year to see that it's very much on the cards for next season.

Picks 1-10, I'd say seven of those players have proved themselves AFL standard in my view. Those I have doubts about are: Pickett (he's a C-grader, IMO) and Ahern (poor bloke hasn't had much of a chance being marred by injuries, so jury is still out). I have doubts on Cockatoo, too.

The real beauty of this draft is outside of its Top 10.

Weller, Lever, Heney, Steele, McLean, Miller, Howe, Blakely, Neal-Bullen, Lonie, McGovern, Daniel, Andrews (absolute steal, Pick 61 for one of my favourite Lions youngsters).

In hindsight, I feel like people are going to be talking about king backmen in Andrews, Lever, and Marchbank. King forwards in McCartin, Wright, and Moore. Gun midfielders in Petracca, Heeney, and Steele.

I don't mind that draft, TBH. Paddy McCartin gets a lot of flack, but he's only twenty-one years old. He needs to wear head protection, though - no matter how unflattering it may look. He still oozes untapped class, but obviously injury woes and developmental setbacks are a factor.

Petracca is genuinely freaky, too. He hasn't had a breakout year yet, but you only have to watch his games this year to see that it's very much on the cards for next season.

Picks 1-10, I'd say seven of those players have proved themselves AFL standard in my view. Those I have doubts about are: Pickett (he's a C-grader, IMO) and Ahern (poor bloke hasn't had much of a chance being marred by injuries, so jury is still out). I have doubts on Cockatoo, too.

Weller, Lever, Heney, Steele, McLean, Miller, Howe, Blakely, Neal-Bullen, Lonie, McGovern, Daniel, Andrews (absolute steal, Pick 61 for one of my favourite Lions youngsters).

In hindsight, I feel like people are going to be talking about king backmen in Andrews, Lever, and Marchbank. King forwards in McCartin, Wright, and Moore. Gun midfielders in Petracca, Heeney, and Steele.
I had Ahern and Tracc as the two i thought would be the best. Injury has set them back, but i reckon Tracc will have a big year (as will Brayshaw) and hopefully Ahern gets on the park (even if it is for North).

Our two 1st rounders should be up for a good year too.
Jobe retiring clears a path for Langford, who spent most of 2017 in the VFL playing midfield in ready for 2018.
There are questions on his intensity, but i dont see him in the JPK/Jobe role of a bottom of the pack, handball out style mid. He reminds me more of the Pendles/Bont style where they use their lateral movement and height through traffic and put the ball either to the advantage of an outside runner or into the forward 50.

Laverde just needs a clean run at a preseason. Has had two injuries that have limited his ability to run out full seasons, but it was good to see him finish 2017 and fingers crossed the preseason is good to him.

Oscar McDonald looking like being a very strong KPD also.

I had Ahern and Tracc as the two i thought would be the best. Injury has set them back, but i reckon Tracc will have a big year (as will Brayshaw) and hopefully Ahern gets on the park (even if it is for North).

Our two 1st rounders should be up for a good year too.
Jobe retiring clears a path for Langford, who spent most of 2017 in the VFL playing midfield in ready for 2018.
There are questions on his intensity, but i dont see him in the JPK/Jobe role of a bottom of the pack, handball out style mid. He reminds me more of the Pendles/Bont style where they use their lateral movement and height through traffic and put the ball either to the advantage of an outside runner or into the forward 50.

Laverde just needs a clean run at a preseason. Has had two injuries that have limited his ability to run out full seasons, but it was good to see him finish 2017 and fingers crossed the preseason is good to him.

I think we all agree that Boekhurst was a bust. Disagree with your view on the two Essendon players taken either side of him though

Langford and Laverde haven’t shown much at all in their first two years. Don’t have anything special (physical attributes - height/strength/skills) that puts them ahead of others on your list. Would you have both of them in your best 22?

I think we all agree that Boekhurst was a bust. Disagree with your view on the two Essendon players taken either side of him though

Langford and Laverde haven’t shown much at all in their first two years. Don’t have anything special (physical attributes - height/strength/skills) that puts them ahead of others on your list. Would you have both of them in your best 22?
Langford yes. I think he steps into the spot Watson has left given he is a similar size and player. Not quick, but he has clean hands and is a far better kick and mark than Jobe ever was.
He spent 2017 honing being a pure mid in the VFL, so he should be ready come Rd.1 2018 to slide straight in.

Laverde has 2 issues for me. One is his best position. Is he more HFF or more mid? Or 50/50 of both. The other is competition. The addition of Stringer, the form Begley showed in 2017, stalwarts like Goddard and Myers, Kids behind him who had excellent VFL years in 2017 (Mutch and Clarke). I think he may be in for a year where he has to fight for a spot, but come 2019 he should be closer to regular starts with Goddard likely retiring.

Langford has shown plenty to me. He'd be close second behind Francis as the under 22 player i have highest hopes for. His type of player takes a bit longer to come on, so im not too concerned yet. If he doesnt play more than 16 games next year, then i think the question marks will start to come
Laverde i can see still being in and out for 2018. He has missed a lot of development through injury. I can see next year being a steep learning curve for him.

Langford yes. I think he steps into the spot Watson has left given he is a similar size and player. Not quick, but he has clean hands and is a far better kick and mark than Jobe ever was.
He spent 2017 honing being a pure mid in the VFL, so he should be ready come Rd.1 2018 to slide straight in.

Laverde has 2 issues for me. One is his best position. Is he more HFF or more mid? Or 50/50 of both. The other is competition. The addition of Stringer, the form Begley showed in 2017, stalwarts like Goddard and Myers, Kids behind him who had excellent VFL years in 2017 (Mutch and Clarke). I think he may be in for a year where he has to fight for a spot, but come 2019 he should be closer to regular starts with Goddard likely retiring.

Langford has shown plenty to me. He'd be close second behind Francis as the under 22 player i have highest hopes for. His type of player takes a bit longer to come on, so im not too concerned yet. If he doesnt play more than 16 games next year, then i think the question marks will start to come
Laverde i can see still being in and out for 2018. He has missed a lot of development through injury. I can see next year being a steep learning curve for him.
Good luck to both the young fellas..you have a pretty strong 22 to break in to now..

Yeah add me to the list that is surprised that you'd actively bring Shaw onto a list over Boekhorst. Particularly after the respective years each just had.

One has proven to be able to play AFL, the other was a speculative mature aged pick who never got going at AFL level.

I know on BigFooty it is better to be young than good but in this instance Carlton have done the right thing with a bloke who you can genuinely trust to come in and have a meaningful contribution to an AFL team.

One has proven to be able to play AFL, the other was a speculative mature aged pick who never got going at AFL level.

I know on BigFooty it is better to be young than good but in this instance Carlton have done the right thing with a bloke who you can genuinely trust to come in and have a meaningful contribution to an AFL team.

Not sure if you're being serious, but Boekhoerst performed a lot better than Shaw did last season and bluntly it's extremely surprising a senior player who has been around for six seasons and unable to secure a spot in a side that has been hit so much with injuries as the Suns have (and does not fill a specific role such as a backup-lead ruckman) is given another shot when they have delisted superior players who play the equivalent role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back