Toast Blake Acres - Rising Star Nomination

Remove this Banner Ad

Acres is the 24th St Kilda player to be nominated for the Rising Star Award.

In order: Peter Everitt, Brodie Atkinson, Shane Wakelin, Austinn Jones, Joel Smith, Lenny Hayes, Brett Moyle, Caydn Beetham, James Begley, Justin Koschitzke, Nick Riewoldt, Xavier Clarke, Luke Ball, Brendon Goddard, Leigh Montagna, Raphael Clarke, Sam Gilbert, Jarryn Geary, Jack Steven, Arryn Siposs, Luke Dunstan, Jack Billings, Jack Lonie, Blake Acres.
Rising star nom best 22;

B: J.Geary, S.Wakelin, J.Smith
HB: A.Jones, S.Gilbert, B.Goddard
C: L.Montagna, L.Ball, J.Steven
HF: X.Clarke, N.Riewoldt, J.Billings
F: J.Lonie, J.Koschitzke, B.Acres
R: P.Everitt, L.Hayes, L.Dunstan
Int; the rest

Rising star nom best 22;

B: J.Geary, S.Wakelin, J.Smith
HB: A.Jones, S.Gilbert, B.Goddard
C: L.Montagna, L.Ball, J.Steven
HF: X.Clarke, N.Riewoldt, J.Billings
F: J.Lonie, J.Koschitzke, B.Acres
R: P.Everitt, L.Hayes, L.Dunstan
Int; the rest

Versus... (blokes who were eligible for Rising Star nods but didn't get one)

B Baker Hudghton Peckett
HB Gwilt Maguire Blake
C Gram Brown Schwarze
HF McQualter Hall Lappin
F Milne McEvoy Traianidis
Foll Longer Dal Santo Jas Cripps
Int L Fisher McLaren Webster Ross

Some interesting players never nominated... not a bad back six.

Still consider dropping Acres was dumb move, and Richo possibly needs to get his message across better to individuals about what they need to do rather just gut react by dropping players. Well done B Acres.
One of the consistent points of praise that players bring up when talking about Richo is that he communicates clearly and has one-on-one discussions with all the players about what they're expected to do or what they need to work on if they miss out on selection. Go through player interviews on the Saints website and you'll notice it's a clear trend. Acres said in his interview this week that Richo was clear about what he needed to work on when he was dropped.

:p

I did melt, I'll admit, like an icecream in an oven, but not at richo, just the facade of communication in things like selection in'out'sider. Very very lucky to have ol' popeye (richo) to quote roundcubic

Yep.
But do you think we need to know that Richo told him he wasn't hard enough, consistent enough etc? Can you imagine if everyone, both fans and opposition supporters were calling him soft all the time? The kid would never live it down, and it would definitely affect his confidence.
Look at the grief Roo still gets with people calling him a sook all these years after the Lions incident?

I'm happy to hear that a player is going back to the twos to work on certain aspects of the game that is required. Don't need to know all the details.
Some things have to stay in house.

B Baker Hudghton Peckett
HB Gwilt Maguire Blake
C Gram Brown Schwarze
HF McQualter Hall Lappin

I thought Sinclair was stiff not to get a nomination last year

Yep.
But do you think we need to know that Richo told him he wasn't hard enough, consistent enough etc? Can you imagine if everyone, both fans and opposition supporters were calling him soft all the time? The kid would never live it down, and it would definitely affect his confidence.
Look at the grief Roo still gets with people calling him a sook all these years after the Lions incident?

I'm happy to hear that a player is going back to the twos to work on certain aspects of the game that is required. Don't need to know all the details.
Some things have to stay in house.
don't think the roo shoulder thing and 'need to be harder at the contest' are comparable, also it comes out in the media eventually, Acres references it, richo explains it over a series of pressers. Highlighting the things young players need to work on is not embarrassing at all and gives clarity to fans that are riding their journeys. Selection insider, as Pers said, eludes to something more than it is. With most situations it makes sense, but, as underlined by the consequential melts on this board, the dropping of lee and acres was quite confusing, and i don't believe the club was adverse to explaining the reasons, just lazy in doing so. Anyhoo, i think it's all been said before :)

Just my opinion

love the way he responded though!!!

How about just "Eight". His number. His name sounds a bit like 8kers.
Referring to players by the number on their jumper? When did we start following Melbourne? ;):p

But if an awkward interviewee Blake is.

That Talking Footy video on the saints website. Can't help but notice Darce say "we caught up with Blake earlier today", well no you didn't because that interview was done for the saints website. Nitpicking, but I hate AFL media :blush:

don't think the roo shoulder thing and 'need to be harder at the contest' are comparable, also it comes out in the media eventually, Acres references it, richo explains it over a series of pressers. Highlighting the things young players need to work on is not embarrassing at all and gives clarity to fans that are riding their journeys. Selection insider, as Pers said, eludes to something more than it is. With most situations it makes sense, but, as underlined by the consequential melts on this board, the dropping of lee and acres was quite confusing, and i don't believe the club was adverse to explaining the reasons, just lazy in doing so. Anyhoo, i think it's all been said before :)

Just my opinion

love the way he responded though!!!

The difference is that Blake himself made reference to it saying that Richo knew what he was doing.
Richo did not break trust with the player and come out to all and sundry and say Blake needs to be harder and give all the details.
Think about the focus that comes on players who duck out of contests etc... All the media " well, he would not like to be doing that regularly. That was a soft act." Etc
Just saying we do not need to be in the know about those kinds of details.
Anyway as you say ....he responded in the best possible way. Good on him!

How about 8-Ball Acres?

9278906_orig.png

The difference is that Blake himself made reference to it saying that Richo knew what he was doing.
Richo did not break trust with the player and come out to all and sundry and say Blake needs to be harder and give all the details.
Think about the focus that comes on players who duck out of contests etc... All the media " well, he would not like to be doing that regularly. That was a soft act." Etc
Just saying we do not need to be in the know about those kinds of details.
Anyway as you say ....he responded in the best possible way. Good on him!
I disagree, good day sir :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still consider dropping Acres was dumb move, and Richo possibly needs to get his message across better to individuals about what they need to do rather just gut react by dropping players. Well done B Acres.

You may have missed (or ignored) a number of players making public comment on how great Richo is in communicating with players. His weekly commitment to speak to every player on the list about what he wants to work on, where they can improve and what they can do to get back in the senior side.

I think you're severely underrating Richo's intelligence and ability to develop quality young footballers by saying that he makes 'gut reactions' & drops players. Any player omitted would be discussed by the coaching panel at length and then receives one on one feedback from Richo.

I would suggest that Blake's performance on the weekend is a direct result of Richo's coaching & Blake's growing maturity to work on what Richo required.

Well done to both. Just need to back it up for the next 10 years!

Just to add quickly, I had a few very brief conversation with Blacres during his debut year & found him to be exceptionally quiet and shy (although he did approach me during one of the kids' clinics to ask about my daughter's Saints guernsey- she had #15 & Billings on it by about round 2 2014).

He seems like a different kid now...very laid back & getting confident in himself. He's not a polished media performer but he wasn't intimidated doing the interviews like he would have been circa 2014.

Our boy is growing up thepoyz!

I'm happy to admit I had an Acres-non-selection-melt but after thinking more about the situation I've moved on & am happy with the way Richo has managed him.
It's a very emotional thing to follow a football team, especially one like the Saints.

Tom Lee is the other one that caused a meltdown; first when he was not being selected and then again last Thursday when he was dropped back to Sandy. Like many I was a bit perplexed thinking he had done alright and that his absence would leave us a bit short in Defence. But as I thought about it, and read some informed comments on here, I became more comfortable with the selection.

And of course the Saints had a magnificent win. Yes Hogan kicked a bag, but I don't think Tom would've made much difference there. Overall the Defence did a mighty job even if they were a bit lacking in height.

Reality is, the blokes down at Seaford know what they're doing. And they know what's best. We only think we know.

We're in good hands :)

Really liked the interview on the saints website. Interested that when asked about what we was working on he admitted his kicking is "pretty average" and it's something he is working on.

He also said that he sees himself as an inside mid in the end and that he has been working with Gilbo on inside mid vision.

All sounds really pleasing.

Really liked the interview on the saints website. Interested that when asked about what we was working on he admitted his kicking is "pretty average" and it's something he is working on.

He also said that he sees himself as an inside mid in the end and that he has been working with Gilbo on inside mid vision.

All sounds really pleasing.
Hopefully he's not working with Gilbo on his kicking as well :drunk:

B Baker Hudghton Peckett
HB Gwilt Maguire Blake
C Gram Brown Schwarze
HF McQualter Hall Lappin

Joey McLaren. Blast meet past. Loved him, but didn't go on with it. Then went to Norf.

It's a very emotional thing to follow a football team, especially one like the Saints.

Tom Lee is the other one that caused a meltdown; first when he was not being selected and then again last Thursday when he was dropped back to Sandy. Like many I was a bit perplexed thinking he had done alright and that his absence would leave us a bit short in Defence. But as I thought about it, and read some informed comments on here, I became more comfortable with the selection.

And of course the Saints had a magnificent win. Yes Hogan kicked a bag, but I don't think Tom would've made much difference there. Overall the Defence did a mighty job even if they were a bit lacking in height.

Reality is, the blokes down at Seaford know what they're doing. And they know what's best. We only think we know.

We're in good hands :)
err, we do know EVERYTHING. Who's Hogan?

Begley didn't make it for reasons that were off-field. Moyle probably got the most out of himself. Siposs was a speculative late draft pick that almost worked out. Atkinson is a real outlier in year 1 of the award.

Beetham is the most disappointing.
Yep that was shattering with Caydn. Him and Penny were blows (a couple years apart obv).

Hopefully he's not working with Gilbo on his kicking as well :drunk:
I would actually gladly take a Gilbo-level of kicking from him at the moment. Gilbo shanks them at times as we all know, but the rest of the time he's usually doing low darts, or long and penetrating kicks, like we saw a few of on the weekend, so getting to Sam's level would actually be an upgrade right now.

I would actually gladly take a Gilbo-level of kicking from him at the moment. Gilbo shanks them at times as we all know, but the rest of the time he's usually doing low darts, or long and penetrating kicks, like we saw a few of on the weekend, so getting to Sam's level would actually be an upgrade right now.

I would love to see his short kicking game improve however his handballing is insane. A real weapon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back