Traded Blake Acres [Traded to Carlton for Future 3rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

May indeed be the Jon Ralph “steal of the century”, or lining up on a wing in the vfl at the end of 2023. If I was a betting man I know what I would be putting money on. Funny how these expert journalists never question why 2 clubs were relatively happy to let a player walk.

May indeed be the Jon Ralph “steal of the century”, or lining up on a wing in the vfl at the end of 2023. If I was a betting man I know what I would be putting money on. Funny how these expert journalists never question why 2 clubs were relatively happy to let a player walk.
Players mature at different times.

Acres talent has been obvious since he was drafted - I remember there was a fair bit of love for him from Saints fans for a period too, but he’s lacked consistency and had injuries along the way as well.

If he maintains this season’s form it’s an incredible deal, if he plays at a level below it’s still a good trade that raises the performance base of the squad.

I doubt there are going to be too many better deals during this trade period - or none that are going to be apparent until next season - so it’s a reasonable call.

Highly doubt he’s going to be spending any time in the VFL unless for injury.

Players mature at different times.

Acres talent has been obvious since he was drafted - I remember there was a fair bit of love for him from Saints fans for a period too, but he’s lacked consistency and had injuries along the way as well.

If he maintains this season’s form it’s an incredible deal, if he plays at a level below it’s still a good trade that raises the performance base of the squad.

I doubt there are going to be too many better deals during this trade period - or none that are going to be apparent until next season - so it’s a reasonable call.

Highly doubt he’s going to be spending any time in the VFL unless for injury.
Gotcha, and now for some facts. The guy has played 1 decent season for his career (and he turns 27 in 2 days). He is not hard at the ball and does not have the skill set to hit up a short lead. He was on the delist scrap heap at the start of the year. The beauty with these predictions is we can revisit them in a year to find out who is right. (Bit like a certain Carlton poster who predicted the blues finishing higher than freo at the start of 2022. 😉)

Gotcha, and now for some facts. The guy has played 1 decent season for his career (and he turns 27 in 2 days). He is not hard at the ball and does not have the skill set to hit up a short lead. He was on the delist scrap heap at the start of the year. The beauty with these predictions is we can revisit them in a year to find out who is right. (Bit like a certain Carlton poster who predicted the blues finishing higher than freo at the start of 2022. 😉)
Which one was the decent season?
2017? 2018? Or 2022?

How hard at the ball do wingers need to be? For a guy who is going to be playing a predominantly outside role he’s got enough toughness to successfully play on the wing to a high standard - as was the case this season.

It’s also not his only good season. He had a couple of reasonable years at the Saints, fizzled out, got traded to Freo, had a few below par years there and had a career year this season.

There’s nothing to suggest he won’t at least recapture his form at the Saints if not have another big year.

I’m happy to cop when I’m wrong about things. There’s way too many pussies on this site who don’t want to anonymously put down predictions in case they get it wrong.

Also happy to state I’m expecting the Blues to finish above the Dockers next year, and more than happy to ‘revisit’ that forecast.

How hard at the ball do wingers need to be? For a guy who is going to be playing a predominantly outside role he’s got enough toughness to successfully play on the wing to a high standard - as was the case this season.

It’s also not his only good season. He had a couple of reasonable years at the Saints, fizzled out, got traded to Freo, had a few below par years there and had a career year this season.

There’s nothing to suggest he won’t at least recapture his form at the Saints if not have another big year.

I’m happy to cop when I’m wrong about things. There’s way too many pussies on this site who don’t want to anonymously put down predictions in case they get it wrong.

Also happy to state I’m expecting the Blues to finish above the Dockers next year, and more than happy to ‘revisit’ that forecast.
If he recaptures his form at the saints his best year was 18 games at 14.5 disposals a game. He’s not particularly quick or elite with disposal so best of luck 🤞

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he recaptures his form at the saints his best year was 18 games at 14.5 disposals a game. He’s not particularly quick or elite with disposal so best of luck 🤞
Played plenty of footy off a half forward flank at the Saints, but he’s clearly improved his output while changing roles at the Dockers.

Not all Wings play the position the same way. He’s a good link player with good hands and strong defensively. Also taller than the average wing which allows him to win more one-on-one contests.

Think he’s going to do very well for the Blues.

Played plenty of footy off a half forward flank at the Saints, but he’s clearly improved his output while changing roles at the Dockers.

Not all Wings play the position the same way. He’s a good link player with good hands and strong defensively. Also taller than the average wing which allows him to win more one-on-one contests.

Think he’s going to do very well for the Blues.
Fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion. You haven’t really addressed the point of my original post. Tge media (who are largely focused in Victoria) come up with slogans like “steal of the year” to a guy who has played 1 decent year of football in his career. It could go either way for Acres but if you looked at his career as a whole, for either fitness or form reasons, I wouldn’t be betting on him being an amazing player for Carlton. He’s too fickle.

For a future 3rd, pick 40 plus, he is absolutely worth the punt, if we get a solid B grader fantastic if not then them's the breaks but at the cost it's nothing to get worked up over as he least will be tried in a position of need.
Having a pick 3 playing almost his entire career to date in the magoo's is the one that hurts.

Ben Long trade just further demonstrates this trade was doo doo and we really really didnt like him for some reason

Ben Long trade just further demonstrates this trade was doo doo and we really really didnt like him for some reason
  • Out of contract
  • Low-balled him on his contract offer to free up space for Jackson
  • Dockers could have postured and pretended they had leverage, but either way it was obvious that they didn’t have any

Better to move on and focus on the Jackson deal.

• Out of contract
  • Low-balled him on his contract offer to free up space for Jackson
  • Dockers could have postured and pretended they had leverage, but either way it was obvious that they didn’t have any

Better to move on and focus on the Jackson deal.
I know there are reasons for it (not the 2nd one, Acres salary isnt stopping Jackson) but while basically meaningless in the grand scheme of things, it's still a s**t trade.

What Blake is good at:
  1. Blake is a great runner for the wing position, knows where to run and cover and how to move the ball offensively using good running patterns when the ball is in motion. Has a huge tank.
  2. This year he added a little back bone and was quite brave at times. He filled the gaps, put his body on the line, intercepted which was good defensively and created some goals. (See his goal against Geelong as an example)
  3. This was in contrast to his previous two years where he used to s**t his pants under body pressure.
  4. Stong overhead

What Blake is not good at:

1. Any sort of quick decisions when he's marked the ball or has a free kick and is stationary. He gets panicky, won't pull off instinctive kicks and therefore stymies fast ball movement...This is related to:
  2. His kicking is generally well directed, but lacks penetration, lacks decisiveness and speed, and generally is shaped like a rainbow. The ball takes too long to get where he wants it to go and can get picked off. He will have games of very high DE where he's been a net negative...the balls he kicks are easily spoiled or he's taken too long to dispose, or he's taken the safe kick rather than the more pro-active kick with an element of risk.
  3. He is a part of why our forward ball movement and scoring was so shite

Seeya Blakers. Not sure why they didn't want to keep you around..it's been a good year and I enjoyed watching your improvement before you pinged your hammy.

Thought that would be obvious
And I thought the fact that he'd had a few 'decent' seasons would have been obvious, but it seems you're either only focusing on the seasons he played at Freo, purely looking at the fact that he had a career best disposal count (by 0.2 per game), or both.
Nobody's claiming him to be a star, but he's been a pretty solid winger for a while.
110 games over 7 seasons (only once playing single figure games due to injury and only twice playing less than 16 games).
Averaging 19.1 disp, 4.3 marks, 3 tackles and 3.2 inside 50s over that time. Those are 'decent' numbers for a 7 year stretch.

It's fine if Freo didn't value him as such, or thought he was likely to be overtaken as best 22 next year, but there's no need to devalue the bloke to make yourself feel better.

And I thought the fact that he'd had a few 'decent' seasons would have been obvious, but it seems you're either only focusing on the seasons he played at Freo, purely looking at the fact that he had a career best disposal count (by 0.2 per game), or both.
Nobody's claiming him to be a star, but he's been a pretty solid winger for a while.
110 games over 7 seasons (only once playing single figure games due to injury and only twice playing less than 16 games).
Averaging 19.1 disp, 4.3 marks, 3 tackles and 3.2 inside 50s over that time. Those are 'decent' numbers for a 7 year stretch.

It's fine if Freo didn't value him as such, or thought he was likely to be overtaken as best 22 next year, but there's no need to devalue the bloke to make yourself feel better.
He's been a "solid winger for a while". You for real? He was dropped twice last year, once this year, and was genuinely about to be delisted at the start of the year. I am not devaluing him - Jon Ralph is overvaluing him by stating he is the "steal of the draft" This is my whole point, which you, and your mate La Dispute, have completely failed to pick up on. Our opinion, as punters, probably doesn't have much weight to it, but when a media figure claims him to be the "steal of the trade" it seems like a pretty long bow to draw for a bloke that has been happily let go by two clubs.
It could go either way for Acres and I wish him all the best, I just sit back and find the Victorian slant to the media every year hilarious. This time last year it was all about how incredible Adam Cerra (another Victorian product) was going to be for Carlton. Well, he finished 10th in your best and fairest behind two other recruits that would have cost you a heck of a lot less (in both salary and draft capital).

Last edited:
Not sure why this one is still being debated. Carlton get a good player in a position they need for very little draft capital, Blake gets a much better contract, and Walls was very clear why Freo were willing to let him go.

Sounds to me both clubs made list management decisions based on sound logic.

images.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back