Traded Blake Acres [Traded to Carlton for Future 3rd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Who took his list spot? Corey Wagner?

You’re being obtuse. It doesn’t suit you.

But I’ll play. The player in question had one hit out more than Lewis Young.

Note: yes I know they’re different players. Yes I know they play different roles. Yes I know you also brought in other players. Don’t bother going down that path. It’s obvious what happened.

You’re being obtuse. It doesn’t suit you.

But I’ll play. The player in question had one hit out more than Lewis Young.

Note: yes I know they’re different players. Yes I know they play different roles. Yes I know you also brought in other players. Don’t bother going down that path. It’s obvious what happened.
Oh lol

You're the only one who would think Jackson has acres list spot

Let me point you in the direction of Rory Lobb...

You do realise acres wasn't and isn't on much?

Mundy would have freed up more cap space then acres did...

Yes I realise Acres isn’t and wasn’t on as much as Jackson.

You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think moving him on (and giving the role to Henry) didn’t contribute to Luke’s salary.

Oh so it was everyone other than Blake. Got it. How convenient!
I'm saying we didn't have to move acres on to pay for Jackson

We literally brought in O'Meara too

Cap space wasn't an issue

The club rated acres at a price point and he wanted more, it's fine but let's not act like it's something else

The club rated acres at a price point and he wanted more, it's fine but let's not act like it's something else

I’m not and have said I have no issue with Freo chasing Jackson and letting go of Acres, nor Carlton bringing him in.

But let’s not pretend they’re not connected. Especially when you list every other player moved on by Freo at the end of last year.

I’m not and have said I have no issue with Freo chasing Jackson and letting go of Acres, nor Carlton bringing him in.

But let’s not pretend they’re not connected. Especially when you list every other player moved on by Freo at the end of last year.
I genuinely don't see them as connected

If we had brought in a wing in his place then I could get the argument (or acres had got us some kind of pick that we used for dogga)

As it stands it's just 2 list decisions, yes they make up the salary cap but under your view, any delisting ever could be attributed to re-signing another player, in very very broad terms you have a small argument but jeez it really isn't anything like Freo giving up acres to get Jackson

Crazy watching some of the plodders run around for Freo and Saint Kilda these days. No idea how they both let him go for basically nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy watching some of the plodders run around for Freo and Saint Kilda these days. No idea how they both let him go for basically nothing.
Imagine being a professional, knowing your worth and engaging a different company (club) who is willing to pay you your worth

that's what has happened here. I would hazard a guess that St.Kilda and even more so Fremantle would happily have kept him.

Imagine being a professional, knowing your worth and engaging a different company (club) who is willing to pay you your worth

that's what has happened here. I would hazard a guess that St.Kilda and even more so Fremantle would happily have kept him.

Carlton are only paying him a modest wage. Freo offered him pennies as they were enamoured by bigger names. Terrible list management.

Carlton are only paying him a modest wage. Freo offered him pennies as they were enamoured by bigger names.
From what is understood, Carlton payed him above what he was offered by Fremantle. Can't begrudge a bloke who has been a bottom end best 22 player his whole career for some stability. Paying dividends in a side threatening to take the competition by storm.

The saints and Freo saw the same thing - a guy who gets plenty of the easy ball, and who does not have the greatest disposal. In Blake's defence, he has definitely improved over the years. He'll play his occasional great game (like last week) but consistently isn't that good.

Carlton are only paying him a modest wage. Freo offered him pennies as they were enamoured by bigger names. Terrible list management.
We actually offered him more than Carlton, but it was heavily incentive-based, which given his prior injury record, and less than stellar form for the majority of his time with us, I think was understandable. He only really had that purple patch of 5 or so games last year before injury, and then failed to rediscover the form. In fairness he's been bog average for you until the whole team has gelled and started playing some excellent footy. As for bigger names, I wouldn't exactly say Henry, Noddy, Worner and Hughes fit that bill...

For the record, I'm really pleased for him. He would've made us a better side this year for sure, but in the long run we're probably going to be ok. Let's not coat this a Freo being cheap; he took less guaranteed rather than back himself in to make more. Even with hindsight, I don't think it was terrible list management by any stretch.

They weren't connected. The potential Angus Brayshaw deal may have been, but as I've stated, we actually offered Acres more than Carlton, albeit incentive-laden, so it wasn't even a cap issue. As for the other outs:
Lobb - wanted out, good riddance
Logue - too good for depth, couldn't displace Pearce, cox or Ryan and offered a Godfather deal by North
Meek - too good for depth, couldn't displace Darcy & Jackson coming in. Would've loved him when Darcy went down this year. Good luck to him.
Tucker - Good foot soldier, wanted more and North offered it.
Mundy - Father time finally won. Even then feel he could have gone another year. Massive hole in the middle that we haven't fixed yet (though Young looks very promising, and tipping Johnson to develop quickly).

Lobb, Acres and Mundy were the only Best 22 of that lot. Only Mundy I feel hasn't been replaced at this point of the season.

Think he only left cause freo offered a 1 or 2 year deal and
Carlton offered similar money but on a 2 or 3 year deal
He’d just come off he’s most consistent season of football so far and just went with the security of a longer contract, which he be crazy not too.

Think he only left cause freo offered a 1 or 2 year deal and
Carlton offered similar money but on a 2 or 3 year deal
He’d just come off he’s most consistent season of football so far and just went with the security of a longer contract, which he be crazy not too.

Correct

From what I remember he's on around 300k-350k per year. Obviously not a perfect player or a superstar but considering some of the spuds around the league running around on 6-700k its pretty bizarre to think he was barely sought after by his own club nor opposition ones. Seems a ripping bloke too from all reports.

Fantastic bit of business this. Cost bugger all in terms of trade capital and salary cap room and he’s had comfortably his best season. A really important player for us even if he’s good for one kick off the side of the boot that goes 25 rows back out on the full each game.

Fantastic bit of business this. Cost bugger all in terms of trade capital and salary cap room and he’s had comfortably his best season. A really important player for us even if he’s good for one kick off the side of the boot that goes 25 rows back out on the full each game.

That kick is usually early in the game. He's just calibrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back