Delisted Blake Coleman (2020-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Height: 181cm | Weight: 79kg | 6/8/02
With his speed, strength and agility, Coleman has proven to be a highly skilled forward and one of the most explosive talents in the 2020 draft. Finishing his year strong, Coleman helped Morningside win the senior QAFL Grand Final, kicking two goals and setting up numerous others, easily positioning himself as one of the best players on the ground. With a brother already at the Brisbane Lions, it will be fascinating to see if Coleman gets selected as an Academy pick on December 9.

The Brisbane Lions have added to the history of brothers to play at the Club by selecting Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy product Blake Coleman in the 2020 NAB AFL National Draft.

The younger brother of Keidean was taken with pick 24 in tonight’s draft after the Lions matched Collingwood's bid for him.

The Colemans join Jarrod and Thomas Berry as current siblings on the Lions list and follow a long list of names such as Voss, Scott, Beams and Bradshaw to play together at the Club.

The 18-year-old was prominent for the Lions Academy in five games as an under-ager in the 2019 NAB League with his best performance a four-goal effort against the Eastern Ranges.

He has elite level speed and goal sense and is deadly overhead which he proved with devastating effect when he took the mark of the day in a starring two goal performance in Morningside’s QAFL Grand Final triumph.

AS the postponement of all seasons commenced over the last few weeks, we are taking a look at some of the up-and-coming draft prospects for the 2020 draft. In a special Question and Answer (Q&A) feature, Draft Central‘s Peter Williams chatted with Brisbane Lions Academy prospect Blake Coleman. As we delve into the Queensland-based talent, you’ll get to know everything you need to know about the brightest academy talents.

The eye-catching forward is near-unbeatable inside forward 50 at full flight, with his clean hands and goal sense setting him apart. While the 180cm prospect is working on his endurance, his speed and power over the short term have put him in good stead. Having represented Queensland at Under 16 and 17 level, and running out for Brisbane during the Academy Series, Coleman is looking to break into the Allies side and follow in the footsteps of brother, Keidean in reaching the elite level.

Last edited:

Guernsey Numbers Revealed
Blake Coleman – 34

Blake Coleman has selected guernsey number 34.

The games record in 34 is held by Grant Lawrie who played 107 games for Fitzroy.

The Brisbane Lions record is held by 2002 premiership player Aaron Shattock who wore the number 57 times for the Club.

How outback brothers Keidean and Blake Coleman scored AFL guernseys with the Brisbane Lions By Jessica Stewart
Katherine, a town 317 kilometres south-east of Darwin in the Northern Territory, is home to about 10,000 people and known as the place where "the outback meets the tropics". But the small community has another claim to fame: It's where two brothers, Keidean and Blake Coleman, forged their AFL dreams.

There are only five sets of brothers playing for the same team in the AFL at the moment. Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong have one each, while the Brisbane Lions have two; the Coleman boys and the Berry brothers, Jarrod and Thomas.

How the Coleman brothers both landed with the Brisbane Lions can all be traced back to a decision made almost a decade ago.

'Chance to be AFL stars'

Aged just nine and seven, Keidean and Blake Coleman packed up their lives to move across the country to Brisbane, in search of a "greater opportunity and the chance to be AFL stars". "It was Mum's decision — she wanted us to get a good opportunity with footy and get a good education, so she thought moving us down here to live with our auntie was a good option for us and it's all paid off," Blake said.
Blake and Keidean Coleman supporting their favourite AFL teams as young boys

Blake and Keidean Coleman show their support for their favourite AFL teams as young boys.(Supplied)

Two months ago, a now 18-year-old Blake was taken by the Brisbane Lions at pick 24 in the 2020 NAB AFL National Draft. And four weeks later he joined 20-year-old Keidean — who was drafted by the Lions at pick 37 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft — for his first official AFL pre-season.
"It's unreal, it's something I have always dreamed off ever since I was little, so getting to be here now is unreal and [I'm] just enjoying it," Blake said.
"It's made it so much easier having [Keidean] around the club because, growing up, we've always been around each other, so when I got here, having him at the club made it so much easier."

Keidean made his AFL debut in Round 15 of the 2020 AFL season against the Collingwood Magpies — the team he used to support growing up.
He would go on to play the next five games, including Brisbane's qualifying final win against Richmond at the Gabba.
Keidean Coleman tackling his brother Blake at a Brisbane Lions training session

Keidean Coleman tackles his brother Blake at a Brisbane Lions training session.(Supplied)

Keidean said he was confident it would not be long before Blake also made his debut.
"Hopefully we can make a few memories together while we're in the same club, same team," Keidean said.
'Easy transition for us'

The brothers still fondly remember the day their mother told them they would be going on an adventure to Brisbane. "At the time we thought it was a holiday," Blake said. "And then she sent us down. We ended up going to school and footy, and then we ended up staying."

Keidean said it was tough leaving behind his family and friends. "It was a bit emotional at the time, but once we got here [to Brisbane] it was good," Keidean said. "We were pretty fortunate to have our auntie, uncle and grandma that were working here, so it was an easy transition for us."

Auntie Bernice Broome said when the brother's mother rang to propose the move, she said yes without hesitation. "It's a big change coming from a small town, leaving your mum and your siblings," she said. "I thought being so young, they'd give it a year and be like, 'Nah, this is too hard,' so for them to still be here today, I am glad it all worked out in the end. "Pretty much every game, junior football, I was there.
"I am always there to support them no matter where they are — I just happen to love football, which is even better."
Blake Coleman and Auntie Bernice Broome

Auntie Bernice Broome (pictured with Blake Coleman) says the brothers' success means a lot to the town of Katherine.(Supplied)

Ms Broome said it was hard to put into words how much it meant to the town of Katherine to have the brothers drafted to the Brisbane Lions. "It's huge for the town," she said.
"I know [when] their older brother … goes into town, he always gets people coming up and congratulating him … knowing that these two kids have grown up in that town and have now become AFL superstars."
Now Keidean and Blake's younger brother, Hamish has also moved to Brisbane.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-08/update-to-abc-news-homepage/12579988
"He was here quite a few years ago, but he got a bit homesick and missed him mum, but watching Keidean play on TV — I think it gave him the realisation that, 'My brother's doing so well, I want to go back,'" Ms Broome said. "It's better opportunity for him here school-wise and he gets to be with his older brothers." The fanatical Essendon Bombers supporter said she now considered herself a Brisbane Lions fan. "I think I am going to have to become a Lions member now," she said.
Auntie Bernice Broome sits in front of the locker with the Brisbane Lions guernsey of her nephew Keidean Coleman.

Ms Broome, an Essendon Bombers supporter, says she now considers herself a Brisbane Lions fan.(ABC News: Jessica Stewart)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young Lions Duo Put Pen To Paper

Emerging Brisbane Lions duo Carter Michael and Blake Coleman have both signed new one-year deals to remain at the Club until at least the end of the 2023 season.

The 20-year-old pair both arrived at The Gabba for the 2021 season through the Brisbane Lions Academy.

Michael, a promising defender with a long-range left foot, broke into the team this season to make his debut in Round 17 against Essendon.

While Coleman, a crafty forward and brother of Lions defender Keidean, had an interrupted preseason due to illness before building on his game in the VFL.

Brisbane Lions List Manager, Dom Ambrogio, said the pair thoroughly deserved their contract extensions and that the Club was excited to see them continue to develop.

“It was a great reward for Carter to make his debut this season, when he came into the team, he made the most of his opportunities showing he can play at AFL level,” Ambrogio said.

“Carter showed plenty of promise down back, so it was unfortunate to see his season cut short due to injury, as he was building some real momentum.

“Blake again showed the benefits of being on an AFL list for a second season and he produced some strong performances at VFL level.

“He has natural goalkicking and marking ability which makes him exciting to watch, so we hope to see him take that next step as he keeps working on his craft.

“We were really pleased with the development these two players have shown and are looking forward to seeing what they can do next year with another solid pre-season under their belt.”

Blake and Carter join fellow teammates, Jaxon Prior and Dayne Zorko in high profile re-signings so far this off-season.

Brisbane Lions List Changes

The Brisbane Lions confirm trio Rhys Mathieson, Blake Coleman and Darryl McDowell-White Junior will not be offered contracts for 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back