Speculation Blake Schlensog (unlisted)

Remove this Banner Ad

Shadow89

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I figured it only takes one bloke to run with it to become fact. Like when Neil Balme had apparently moved to the crows a few weeks back. That all started with 1 tweet from Sam Edmund.

Anyway back on topic. Could be a bargain getting Schlensong who is apparently one of the best KPDs outside of the AFL for nothing. Not sure he'd choose to come to us given he wouldn't be a walk up start with a full list. Would he choose to go back to Geelong after only being cut 12 months ago?

Sam Edmund has become my most hated person in the industry, after his BS regarding Clark and Wells which was debunked by both of them. I actually called him out for it live on air, and he still stood by it after Clark himself refuted it. Absolute trashiest 'journo' there is - and that's saying something considering Browne, Barrett, Ralph and McLure are all bottom of the barrel too.

Anyway, haha, back to Schlensog. Yep agreed with a lot of that, and think he will be an absolute bargain for whoever picks him up. I think with Richmond moving up the order and also taking Tarrant, that it seems unlikely they take Schlensog as a DFA, as they just don't have the senior spots. We're sort of in the same position too, but with a little bit more room to move as we have Pick 50 which will drift back after bids into 43 or so, which can then be combined with one of our 30's picks if we wanted to move up the order and create a list spot.

In regards to us delisting him and then his likelihood of coming back, I think it's pretty strong tbh. We were the only club who gave him a shot as a Cat B, and he's actually from the area, so I wouldn't think there'd be too many hard feelings given he wasn't up to scratch when he left. He's gone away and worked on his game, and if we're publicly voicing that we're interested, I'd say there's a pretty strong chance that those preliminary conversations have already been had.

Will be interesting to see how it winds up, but I for one would absolutely love to see him back in the hoops, as I think he could be a 200 game player if given the opportunity.

tiger_tough

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Sam Edmund has become my most hated person in the industry, after his BS regarding Clark and Wells which was debunked by both of them. I actually called him out for it live on air, and he still stood by it after Clark himself refuted it. Absolute trashiest 'journo' there is - and that's saying something considering Browne, Barrett, Ralph and McLure are all bottom of the barrel too.

Anyway, haha, back to Schlensog. Yep agreed with a lot of that, and think he will be an absolute bargain for whoever picks him up. I think with Richmond moving up the order and also taking Tarrant, that it seems unlikely they take Schlensog as a DFA, as they just don't have the senior spots. We're sort of in the same position too, but with a little bit more room to move as we have Pick 50 which will drift back after bids into 43 or so, which can then be combined with one of our 30's picks if we wanted to move up the order and create a list spot.

In regards to us delisting him and then his likelihood of coming back, I think it's pretty strong tbh. We were the only club who gave him a shot as a Cat B, and he's actually from the area, so I wouldn't think there'd be too many hard feelings given he wasn't up to scratch when he left. He's gone away and worked on his game, and if we're publicly voicing that we're interested, I'd say there's a pretty strong chance that those preliminary conversations have already been had.

Will be interesting to see how it winds up, but I for one would absolutely love to see him back in the hoops, as I think he could be a 200 game player if given the opportunity.
He's definitely dropped off this year. I thought he was one of the best a couple of years back but he's missed the mark with a few things recently. Got a bit big for his boots maybe.

I'd still like Blake because I really want to see Balta be our CHF/2nd ruck but I don't see the selection panel going that way. Tarrant has 2 years left and Grimes probably 3. We need someone to take over but I reckon Blake will want to lock down a spot immediately. We also have Ben Miller who is pretty similar.

As for list spots - If we were keen on him as a DFA I could see us offloading one of our picks in the 20s for a future pick or packing them up for an earlier pick, creating space for him.

freo_leo29

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Anyone got the rule anywhere?

I looked through the AFL's rulebook recently (Can't find my post but its on Freo board somewhere) and the way its worded says that he isn't a DFA as he wasn't on a list this past year (for example Stengle was on a list so he is a DFA)

Obviously if his manager thinks he is then he is likely a DFA

Millsie69

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
St Louis Blues, Sturt FC, MUFC
WAFL watchers, is he any good?

Would like the Hawks to pick up a decent key defender from a state league to add some depth.

scooter600x

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2003
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You can believe it all you like, you're still wrong, lol.

This would have taken you two seconds, but I guess I'll do it so we can put it to bed:

"Geelong has confirmed its interest in recruiting WAFL star Blake Schlensog, who it delisted 12 months ago.
Schlensog, 21, has been linked with a move back to Kardinia Park and could be drafted as a delisted free agent or through any of the drafts."

SECOND CHANCE FOR FORMER CAT?
GEELONG is among the clubs interested in Blake Schlensog, who the Cats delisted at the end of last year.
The rookie big man was cut after two seasons with the Cats as a Next Generation Academy pick-up and enjoyed an exciting season in the WAFL as one of its premier key position players.....

....He is viewed as a consideration for Geelong, and was interviewed by Richmond ahead of the mid-season intake, with clubs able to list him a number of ways, either as a delisted free agent or through any of the draft periods – the national, rookie or pre-season drafts.
The 21-year-old looms as a mature-age shot for clubs searching to boost their key position stocks. - Callum Twomey

TWO CLUBS CIRCLING FORMER CAT

Geelong and Richmond are among clubs with interest in ex-Cat Blake Schlensog, reports The West Australian.

The key-position Next Generation Academy prospect was let go by Geelong after two seasons with the club and enjoyed a strong 2021 campaign for WAFL club South Fremantle.

The 199cm product played at both ends of the ground with hauls of five goals and four goals to his name.

He could be picked up as either a delisted free agent and the national, rookie and pre-season drafts.

They are all only the one source, though.

One journo wrote it and every other journo then cut and pastes it without fact checking.

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
WAFL watchers, is he any good?

Would like the Hawks to pick up a decent key defender from a state league to add some depth.
I saw him play a couple of games towards the end of the year. Didn't play as a permanent KD, was more a utility who moved all over the ground.

Athletically I wasn't impressed. A bit slow getting around, didn't look strong or physical and seems to have a high centre of gravity, was shifted out of position too easily imo.

Millsie69

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
St Louis Blues, Sturt FC, MUFC
I saw him play a couple of games towards the end of the year. Didn't play as a permanent KD, was more a utility who moved all over the ground.

Athletically I wasn't impressed. A bit slow getting around, didn't look strong or physical and seems to have a high centre of gravity, was shifted out of position too easily imo.

Thanks for the write up :)

Shadow89

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
They are all only the one source, though.

One journo wrote it and every other journo then cut and pastes it without fact checking.

Actually, no. One was Cal Twomey, another was a WA journo - which then was copied across to the other papers.

This has already been settled anyway. Both me and the poster finished our convo on this long ago, so not sure why you're bringing up old news.

Last edited:

freo_leo29

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Wouldn't be the first time a manager has got something wrong, The wording in the AFL rulebook says that he isn't a DFA

There must be an amendment floating somewhere that can put this to bed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taylor

Community Leader
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
AFL just confirmed DFA qualify from previous years.

Sam Skinner signed,

tiger_tough

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Still crickets on this guy. Time is running out if he's going to get picked up as a DFA.

Unless of course he didn't actually qualify as a DFA at all...:think:

tiger_tough

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah they have a different set of rules for for Schlenslog and Skinner
Well one was a Cat B and one wasn't so perhaps? Don't you think it's a bit odd he's being hyped up as one of the best mature age options available and a potential steal in the upcoming draft, yet it seems no one is willing to take him right now for nothing but the cost of a list spot?

bird_man

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well one was a Cat B and one wasn't so perhaps? Don't you think it's a bit odd he's being hyped up as one of the best mature age options available and a potential steal in the upcoming draft, yet it seems no one is willing to take him right now for nothing but the cost of a list spot?

Not really no, he was also in terrific form and available in the mid season draft and no one took him.

Lists are tight for a lot of clubs and they are probably working around ways they can fit everyone in.

Whoever ends up with him might wait until they see how their list looks after the draft.

CatToTheFuture

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Apparently didn't nominate for the draft?

Seems either he didn't get any interest in a list spot and decided on WAFL or has already made arrangements to join somewhere via SSP

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Apparently didn't nominate for the draft?

Seems either he didn't get any interest in a list spot and decided on WAFL or has already made arrangements to join somewhere via SSP
If he's been delisted previously then I think he'd be DFA (primary list) and SSP (rookie list) eligible without needing to nominate for the draft, same as Sam Skinner/Paddy McCartin? Nominating for the draft could land you somewhere you don't want to go, although if you want it badly enough...

CatToTheFuture

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
If he's been delisted previously then I think he'd be DFA (primary list) and SSP (rookie list) eligible without needing to nominate for the draft, same as Sam Skinner/Paddy McCartin? Nominating for the draft could land you somewhere you don't want to go, although if you want it badly enough...
Yeah he's eligible, just thinking it means he's going his landing spot wherever that might be

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
AFL Club
Geelong

I think it does mean he can go straight to the SSP without nominating for ND. Assuming he has an agreement with a club to take him in the SSP.

BlueBalls#17

Rookie
Nov 24, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely he'd be a good chance go get picked up by the blues in the SSP?

Or are we deadset banking on, Young, McGovern, Oscar Mac or Marchnank making it there own?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad