Mature Age Mature Age Prospects 2021

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Yeah I figured it only takes one bloke to run with it to become fact. Like when Neil Balme had apparently moved to the crows a few weeks back. That all started with 1 tweet from Sam Edmund.

Anyway back on topic. Could be a bargain getting Schlensong who is apparently one of the best KPDs outside of the AFL for nothing. Not sure he'd choose to come to us given he wouldn't be a walk up start with a full list. Would he choose to go back to Geelong after only being cut 12 months ago?

Sam Edmund has become my most hated person in the industry, after his BS regarding Clark and Wells which was debunked by both of them. I actually called him out for it live on air, and he still stood by it after Clark himself refuted it. Absolute trashiest 'journo' there is - and that's saying something considering Browne, Barrett, Ralph and McLure are all bottom of the barrel too.

Anyway, haha, back to Schlensog. Yep agreed with a lot of that, and think he will be an absolute bargain for whoever picks him up. I think with Richmond moving up the order and also taking Tarrant, that it seems unlikely they take Schlensog as a DFA, as they just don't have the senior spots. We're sort of in the same position too, but with a little bit more room to move as we have Pick 50 which will drift back after bids into 43 or so, which can then be combined with one of our 30's picks if we wanted to move up the order and create a list spot.

In regards to us delisting him and then his likelihood of coming back, I think it's pretty strong tbh. We were the only club who gave him a shot as a Cat B, and he's actually from the area, so I wouldn't think there'd be too many hard feelings given he wasn't up to scratch when he left. He's gone away and worked on his game, and if we're publicly voicing that we're interested, I'd say there's a pretty strong chance that those preliminary conversations have already been had.

Will be interesting to see how it winds up, but I for one would absolutely love to see him back in the hoops, as I think he could be a 200 game player if given the opportunity.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Sam Edmund has become my most hated person in the industry, after his BS regarding Clark and Wells which was debunked by both of them. I actually called him out for it live on air, and he still stood by it after Clark himself refuted it. Absolute trashiest 'journo' there is - and that's saying something considering Browne, Barrett, Ralph and McLure are all bottom of the barrel too.

Anyway, haha, back to Schlensog. Yep agreed with a lot of that, and think he will be an absolute bargain for whoever picks him up. I think with Richmond moving up the order and also taking Tarrant, that it seems unlikely they take Schlensog as a DFA, as they just don't have the senior spots. We're sort of in the same position too, but with a little bit more room to move as we have Pick 50 which will drift back after bids into 43 or so, which can then be combined with one of our 30's picks if we wanted to move up the order and create a list spot.

In regards to us delisting him and then his likelihood of coming back, I think it's pretty strong tbh. We were the only club who gave him a shot as a Cat B, and he's actually from the area, so I wouldn't think there'd be too many hard feelings given he wasn't up to scratch when he left. He's gone away and worked on his game, and if we're publicly voicing that we're interested, I'd say there's a pretty strong chance that those preliminary conversations have already been had.

Will be interesting to see how it winds up, but I for one would absolutely love to see him back in the hoops, as I think he could be a 200 game player if given the opportunity.
He's definitely dropped off this year. I thought he was one of the best a couple of years back but he's missed the mark with a few things recently. Got a bit big for his boots maybe.

I'd still like Blake because I really want to see Balta be our CHF/2nd ruck but I don't see the selection panel going that way. Tarrant has 2 years left and Grimes probably 3. We need someone to take over but I reckon Blake will want to lock down a spot immediately. We also have Ben Miller who is pretty similar.

As for list spots - If we were keen on him as a DFA I could see us offloading one of our picks in the 20s for a future pick or packing them up for an earlier pick, creating space for him.

Stengle was cut after final list lodgements last year so would be a DFA this year yes because technically he was officially delisted only recently. Schlensong was delisted last year so I believe has to go via ND/PSD/RD
His manager said publicly he's DFA. He's DFA mate

Oct 20, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Anyone got the rule anywhere?

I looked through the AFL's rulebook recently (Can't find my post but its on Freo board somewhere) and the way its worded says that he isn't a DFA as he wasn't on a list this past year (for example Stengle was on a list so he is a DFA)

Obviously if his manager thinks he is then he is likely a DFA

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Matt Hammelmann, 25 years old played 12 games for the Lions and was delisted in 2017. Played 2018-2019 for Redlands in the NEAFL, kicking 60 and 66 goals respectively, taking out leading goal kicker comfortably each time. 2020 is toast as we know and he moves to Aspley for 2021 and kicks 42 in 10 games to top the goal kicking in the VFL by quite a margin.
I had a look at the WAFL and SANFL and he stacks up very favourably with those numbers. You have to wonder what he must think as time starts to run out for him. Maybe a J Pod type selection for a team lacking key forwards?

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
25 years old played 12 games for the Lions and was delisted in 2017. Played 2018-2019 for Redlands in the NEAFL, kicking 60 and 66 goals respectively, taking out leading goal kicker comfortably each time. 2020 is toast as we know and he moves to Aspley for 2021 and kicks 42 in 10 games to top the goal kicking in the VFL by quite a margin.
I had a look at the WAFL and SANFL and he stacks up very favourably with those numbers. You have to wonder what he must think as time starts to run out for him. Maybe a J Pod type selection for a team lacking key forwards?
If available by North last pick would be silly to not look at him.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tyler Keitel kicked another 70 goals this season. His numbers are insane.
Yes have to agree with you there, although he did have the benefit of a 22 game season, something Hammelmann hasn't had ever I wouldn't have thought. From memory the NEAFL seasons were pretty short (lots of byes) and the VFL season only went 10 games. But yes Keitel is another who couldn't really do any more to put himself out there.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes have to agree with you there, although he did have the benefit of a 22 game season, something Hammelmann hasn't had ever I wouldn't have thought. From memory the NEAFL seasons were pretty short (lots of byes) and the VFL season only went 10 games. But yes Keitel is another who couldn't really do any more to put himself out there.
Clubs seem to be very hesitant when it comes to Key forwards, especially those outside the AFL. Only the outstanding young ones get drafted with high picks, blokes like Thilthorpe and McDonald for example. I think it's been proven over the last 7 or 8 years that unless you have a Reiwolt, a player who can impact away from the goalsquare as well as inside 50 and have a great set shot under pressure, then they are just another forward option. It looks to me that the next few years we will see 3 small forwards in most good forward lines. Melbourne did it well, Brisbane and Port also have the 3 smalls. Teams with 3 small pressure forwards who are quick and can hit the scoreboard are the way forward it seems. You still need a KF but they really just need to be able to provide a contest

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Sure, if you're looking for a pure goalkicker. If instead you're looking for a more well-rounded player, Jack Hayes has to be up there due to his work rate and versatility.

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Liam McBean still goes well in the SANFL, ex Richmond, 202 cm, highly rated in SA, past three Ken Farmer medals.

Sure, if you're looking for a pure goalkicker. If instead you're looking for a more well-rounded player, Jack Hayes has to be up there due to his work rate and versatility.

I like hayes but the issue is hes not tall enough to play ruck at afl level like he does at sanfl level and clubs would be concerned about his lack of speed as a pure fotrward i think.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's interesting some mention kicking goals as not being as important as other things as a key forward. I understand the sentiment in that if you can't add some defensive pressure, tackle, aren't athletic enough etc, you won't make it in the AFL. But if you can't kick goals and lots of them as a KPF you won't either.

Hammelmann has played 46 games (from what I could work out) of second tier footy since being delisted for 168 goals. That's 3.65 goals a game over the last few years. If you want to pull the whole NEAFL sucks argument then that's fine. In the VFL he averages 4.2 goals a game :) The other guys mentioned including McBean and Keitel etc are a bit below that statistically to be fair. As were guys like Mihocek and Corbett (considerably so) before they were taken as mature age KPF's.

I hope he gets another crack. I think North could be a decent fit. Could also be a chance for Adelaide, Freo, Essendon, Geelong, Hawks or Richmond. I'm surprised the GC hasn't had a crack at him tbh. They have tried bringing in a few mature age talls in recent years and have again in Chol and likely Casbault as well.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clubs seem to be very hesitant when it comes to Key forwards, especially those outside the AFL. Only the outstanding young ones get drafted with high picks, blokes like Thilthorpe and McDonald for example. I think it's been proven over the last 7 or 8 years that unless you have a Reiwolt, a player who can impact away from the goalsquare as well as inside 50 and have a great set shot under pressure, then they are just another forward option. It looks to me that the next few years we will see 3 small forwards in most good forward lines. Melbourne did it well, Brisbane and Port also have the 3 smalls. Teams with 3 small pressure forwards who are quick and can hit the scoreboard are the way forward it seems. You still need a KF but they really just need to be able to provide a contest

Demons had 3 tall forwards when most teams have 2.

scooter600x

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2003
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You can believe it all you like, you're still wrong, lol.

This would have taken you two seconds, but I guess I'll do it so we can put it to bed:

"Geelong has confirmed its interest in recruiting WAFL star Blake Schlensog, who it delisted 12 months ago.
Schlensog, 21, has been linked with a move back to Kardinia Park and could be drafted as a delisted free agent or through any of the drafts."

SECOND CHANCE FOR FORMER CAT?
GEELONG is among the clubs interested in Blake Schlensog, who the Cats delisted at the end of last year.
The rookie big man was cut after two seasons with the Cats as a Next Generation Academy pick-up and enjoyed an exciting season in the WAFL as one of its premier key position players.....

....He is viewed as a consideration for Geelong, and was interviewed by Richmond ahead of the mid-season intake, with clubs able to list him a number of ways, either as a delisted free agent or through any of the draft periods – the national, rookie or pre-season drafts.
The 21-year-old looms as a mature-age shot for clubs searching to boost their key position stocks. - Callum Twomey

TWO CLUBS CIRCLING FORMER CAT

Geelong and Richmond are among clubs with interest in ex-Cat Blake Schlensog, reports The West Australian.

The key-position Next Generation Academy prospect was let go by Geelong after two seasons with the club and enjoyed a strong 2021 campaign for WAFL club South Fremantle.

The 199cm product played at both ends of the ground with hauls of five goals and four goals to his name.

He could be picked up as either a delisted free agent and the national, rookie and pre-season drafts.

They are all only the one source, though.

One journo wrote it and every other journo then cut and pastes it without fact checking.

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
WAFL watchers, is he any good?

Would like the Hawks to pick up a decent key defender from a state league to add some depth.
I saw him play a couple of games towards the end of the year. Didn't play as a permanent KD, was more a utility who moved all over the ground.

Athletically I wasn't impressed. A bit slow getting around, didn't look strong or physical and seems to have a high centre of gravity, was shifted out of position too easily imo.

I saw him play a couple of games towards the end of the year. Didn't play as a permanent KD, was more a utility who moved all over the ground.

Athletically I wasn't impressed. A bit slow getting around, didn't look strong or physical and seems to have a high centre of gravity, was shifted out of position too easily imo.

Thanks for the write up :)

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
They are all only the one source, though.

One journo wrote it and every other journo then cut and pastes it without fact checking.

Actually, no. One was Cal Twomey, another was a WA journo - which then was copied across to the other papers.

This has already been settled anyway. Both me and the poster finished our convo on this long ago, so not sure why you're bringing up old news.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Actually, no. One was Cal Twomey, another was a WA journo - which then was copied across to the other papers.

This has already been settled anyway. Both me and the poster finished our convo on this long ago, so not sure why you're bringing up old news.
Yeah but are you sure?!

Back