Blaming Umpires For A Loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the issue that the umpires are terrible, or that the rules are terrible?
Little from Column A and a lot from Column B.

The convoluted rules which have vast grey areas in their interpretation makes the problem worse.

Umpires are not the reason for a loss, but you have to be blind if you cannot tell that they heavily influence games

It's much like the NBA. They are given a free pass, and intentionally pay free kicks to keep games close

Generally they remain fairly unbiased during the first and fourth, but allow one team much more slack than the other during the middle two (assuming one side is dominating at 1/4 time)

The frees change momentum of game and can influence the result

Is there anything more pathetic and petulant than the constant cries of AFL supporters that the umpires screwed them out of a win?
Yes. Some people on our board are blaming the team's age for losing to the saints and just being s**t...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has this ever happened?:eek::eek::eek:

:p:D

What annoys me is the illinformed peanuts who seem to think the Umpires favour a certain team aka Hawthorn, Eagles at home etc.

Yet to see conclusive proof yet that poor/dodgy umpiring cost a team a Grand Final.

Is there anything more pathetic and petulant than the constant cries of AFL supporters that the umpires screwed them out of a win?
Yes, those who suggest umpires want one specific team to win.

100% agree - it’s boring and most comments are full of bias.

The game day threads are littered with "Arm chair ride from the Umpires" "Umpires are cheats" "Umpires want certain teams to win"

It is the biggest cop out and the reason for it is that supporters find it easier to blame umpires than the players they love. Players and coaches make a lot more mistakes in a game but the umps are easy targets. Umpires have never been more at fault than the players in any game ever.

Also a bad free early - every other free is booed and the mindset that you’re getting a bad run sets it and not many supporters can shake it.

Supporters have no idea of what the umpires sees and what they don't - they get caught out of positions with players in the way and they don't have the luxury of replay in slow motion.

Be 5 goals up - then if you get an iffy free it won't affect you.

Only one game have I genuinely blamed an umpire for a loss. It was a while ago at the SCG, sure enough with a quick youtube search, another swans fan has documented it. I'll let you hazard a guess at which umpire was the main offender...

2011 Rd 17 against Freo.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0371F25894F0454D

lol well done whoever made that playlist, was obviously a lot more pissed off than I.

Only one game have I genuinely blamed an umpire for a loss. It was a while ago at the SCG, sure enough with a quick youtube search, another swans fan has documented it. I'll let you hazard a guess at which umpire was the main offender...

2011 Rd 17 against Freo.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0371F25894F0454D

lol well done whoever made that playlist, was obviously a lot more pissed off than I.
Was that the game where your players were shoving around our players after we kicked goals?

Only time I've blamed the umps was when we played Norf in Tassie and the free kick count was 38-15 and we lost by 10 points
Against the Bulldogs a couple of years back we were only awarded 4 frees for the game. 1 free per quarter. The opposition could be the most disciplined team in the world, but I still believe they'd accidentally infringe more than once in a quarter.

Umpire blaming is such an extreme form of cognitive dissonance*, that even when you realise that it's difficult to not tip into it.

*I'm not sure if that's entirely the right term, but the strength of conviction over which teams get favoured, in general or in a particular match, combined with the fact that our game is so subjectively umpired, means that it's very easy to find evidence to back your belief and ignore things that go the other way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back