Universal Love Blast from the past

Hi Guys,

I know this is totally selfish of me but i just saw this on the Hawthorn website

It is my most precious memory of a Hawthorn football club. Two hawthorn greats.
My favourite ever hawthorn player and yes my favourite ever Hawthorn coach. It is my avatar and i am proud to wear that badge.

So it got me thinking since its off season. what are the moments you Hawks posters remember the most endearing. Yes its hard to choose but a choice you must make.

There can be only one. Go for it. It would be great to reminisce.

My favourite moment is 12-13 seconds to play in the 2013 Prelim (Hawks def Geel), when David Hale made an effective handball to Liam Shiels on the outer wing, followed by Shiels Kicking to HF - the camera went to wide screen but I couldn’t have cared less where it landed because I knew we had the flag from the moment it left his boot!

I'm just gonna leave this here...

We all know when it happened, we all know why it happened.

It is quintessential Hawthorn v Geelong.

After the siren in the 2015 grand final, I turned to the old bloke who was at the game by himself and sitting next to me. I knew he had been there and seen it all - so I leaned over and said to him 'are they better than the 80s Hawks?' and as he wiped a tear away he just nodded and said 'yup'. Can still remember that vividly.

GrumpyOldFart

Cancelled
Hawthorn Hawks - Conor Nash Player Sponsor 2020 Hawthorn Hawks - James Cousins Player Sponsor 2020 Hawthorn Hawks - Conor Nash Player Sponsor 2019 Hawthorn Hawks - James Cousins Player Sponsor 2019 Hawthorn Hawks - Conor Nash Player Sponsor 2018 Hawthorn Hawks - James Cousins Player Sponsor 2018 Hawthorn Hawks - Kaiden Brand Player Sponsor 2018 Hawthorn Hawks - Conor Nash Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - James Cousins Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - Kaiden Brand Player Sponsor 2017 Hawthorn Hawks - Jermaine Miller-Lewis, Alex Woodward, Kaiden Brand Player Sponsor 2016 Hawthorn Hawks - Alex Woodward, Jed Anderson and Jermaine Miller-Lewis Player Sponsor 2015 Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2014 Hawthorn Hawks - Box Hill 2013 Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Lowden, Anderson, Woodward Player Sponsor 2013 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks, Croydon Rangers
89 Grand Final for me. I was there. Fabulous game from start to finish.

Dermie's 2 goals after being crunched at the opener was a great 2-fingered salute to Geelong.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Soft as malaxos

Cancelled
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There are so many, awesome thread subject TFP. Now one moment that has stuck with me from the last 10 years is Buddy’s goal in the last qtr of the 2011 prelim against the pies, obviously the result of the game was less then desirable, but that moment and the roar of the crowd that came with it still gives me chills. I wasn’t fortunate enough to be there live was at home in Townsville watching on t.v. The roar of the crowd on t.v was bloody amazing, live at the ground it must have been spine tingling. I know it’s an odd one being that it was for zilch in the context of things, but meh still an awesome moment in my book.

List Manager

Club Legend
May 21, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
* Jarrod Harbrow knocking out Jordan Lewis in a huge collision.
I was at the game, sitting in row 7 along the camera side wing and I could hear Lewis "snoring" while laying their motionless with hands raised yet lifeless.
Both my wife and feared for his life and are still unsure how he later came back on the ground.

Not pretty viewing but -

* Buddy's two running goals against Cale Hooker / Essendon.
Sitting on the opposite wing my brother and brother in law left our seats to go to the bar no less than 30 seconds before the first goal and returned 10 minutes later only to ask what they had missed o_O -

* Grant Birchall's bump on Matthew Stokes -

* Can't remember who it was but as Trent Croad hobbled off the ground with his shattered foot in the 2008 Grand Final he laid a stationary hip and shoulder on someone as he walked off the ground and stopped him in his tracks. Career threatening injury which he never truly came back from yet still had the courage to have one last impact on the game.
You can't talk about the 2008 Grand Final without mentioning Cyril's solo repeat tackling efforts against the Cats ultimately resulting in a turnover against all odds. Brilliant 30 seconds of guts, will, determination and genuine thirst for the contest by an 18 year old rookie. A relentless never say die Grand Final moment which defined Cyril and the impact he had on a game for the whole of his career

I'd sat at horrible, miserable Football Park in July surrounded by the worst crows supporters imaginable as we kicked 4.7.

We'd come back from 36 points down to win with the last kick of the game. My kids had never heard me scream so loud and in that moment all the hatred of the crows just came out.

We haven't lost too many against them since.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
There are so many, awesome thread subject TFP. Now one moment that has stuck with me from the last 10 years is Buddy’s goal in the last qtr of the 2011 prelim against the pies, obviously the result of the game was less then desirable, but that moment and the roar of the crowd that came with it still gives me chills. I wasn’t fortunate enough to be there live was at home in Townsville watching on t.v. The roar of the crowd on t.v was bloody amazing, live at the ground it must have been spine tingling. I know it’s an odd one being that it was for zilch in the context of things, but meh still an awesome moment in my book.

Goal assist schoenmakers

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
* Jarrod Harbrow knocking out Jordan Lewis in a huge collision.
I was at the game, sitting in row 7 along the camera side wing and I could hear Lewis "snoring" while laying their motionless with hands raised yet lifeless.
Both my wife and feared for his life and are still unsure how he later came back on the ground.

Not pretty viewing but -

* Buddy's two running goals against Cale Hooker / Essendon.
Sitting on the opposite wing my brother and brother in law left our seats to go to the bar no less than 30 seconds before the first goal and returned 10 minutes later only to ask what they had missed o_O -

* Grant Birchall's bump on Matthew Stokes -

* Can't remember who it was but as Trent Croad hobbled off the ground with his shattered foot in the 2008 Grand Final he laid a stationary hip and shoulder on someone as he walked off the ground and stopped him in his tracks. Career threatening injury which he never truly came back from yet still had the courage to have one last impact on the game.
You can't talk about the 2008 Grand Final without mentioning Cyril's solo repeat tackling efforts against the Cats ultimately resulting in a turnover against all odds. Brilliant 30 seconds of guts, will, determination and genuine thirst for the contest by an 18 year old rookie. A relentless never say die Grand Final moment which defined Cyril and the impact he had on a game for the whole of his career

It was selwood.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Where to start. The merger game in 96 was a highlight fest. 100 goals for Bung, bodies being put on the line, whatever it took to win being played out in every line in the last quarter (Clarkson belting Crawford all night too).Then Langford raising the jumper, to ram the point home.

Williams and Dew, 2008 GF at the punt road end, digging deep to break the hearts and wills of Geelong’s best defenders.

Hodge stalking Stokes like a lion taking down a herd animal, as Stokes streamed over the 50 towards goal during the 2008 GF, and mentally disintegrated. The steel in our defense that day, right to the final siren.

The 86’ GF opening minutes, when it became obvious, we were better.

The emergence of Sam Mitchell, as a clearance machine, during his earliest games. Brad Sewell’s dancing feet at the coal face during his prime.

The Carl Peterson and Hooper game before the Pies GF winning finals series. Those two could have been anything.

Burgoyne’s entire career, and that twisting dagger in the heart of Geelong in the last stanza of the 2013 Prelim.

Buddy torching the Dogs in the opening week of the 2008 finals. Imperious, sublime, next level portending of what was to unfold that year.

John Platten’s entire career, hitting contests at speed, delivering with skill. Seeing Crawford throw Hird over the fence at Waverly, live. Watching him win a flag in his last game. Seeing his incredible 1999 season unfold.

John Barker emerging as a huge talent (albeit till injury cut him down not long after). For a period, he was unstoppable .

Line in the sand. That game made our club a team, and lifted them out of a period when they’d stopped believing that they deserved everyone’s respect. The fortunes of both teams shifted that day, and the new pecking order was established.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Where to start. The merger game in 96 was a highlight fest. 100 goals for Bung, bodies being put on the line, whatever it took to win being played out in every line in the last quarter (Clarkson belting Crawford all night too).Then Langford raising the jumper, to ram the point home.

Williams and Dew, 2008 GF at the punt road end, digging deep to break the hearts and wills of Geelong’s best defenders.

Hodge stalking Stokes like a lion taking down a herd animal, as Stokes streamed over the 50 towards goal during the 2008 GF, and mentally disintegrated. The steel in our defense that day, right to the final siren.

The 86’ GF opening minutes, when it became obvious, we were better.

The emergence of Sam Mitchell, as a clearance machine, during his earliest games. Brad Sewell’s dancing feet at the coal face during his prime.

The Carl Peterson and Hooper game before the Pies GF winning finals series. Those two could have been anything.

Burgoyne’s entire career, and that twisting dagger in the heart of Geelong in the last stanza of the 2013 Prelim.

Buddy torching the Dogs in the opening week of the 2008 finals. Imperious, sublime, next level portending of what was to unfold that year.

John Platten’s entire career, hitting contests at speed, delivering with skill. Seeing Crawford throw Hird over the fence at Waverly, live. Watching him win a flag in his last game. Seeing his incredible 1999 season unfold.

John Barker emerging as a huge talent (albeit till injury cut him down not long after). For a period, he was unstoppable .

Line in the sand. That game made our club a team, and lifted them out of a period when they’d stopped believing that they deserved everyone’s respect. The fortunes of both teams shifted that day, and the new pecking order was established.
Great post, I started my account around the time when Carl Peterson came on the scene, thought he was going to be a star, unfortunately not.

I'd sat at horrible, miserable Football Park in July surrounded by the worst crows supporters imaginable as we kicked 4.7.

We'd come back from 36 points down to win with the last kick of the game. My kids had never heard me scream so loud and in that moment all the hatred of the crows just came out.

We haven't lost too many against them since.

I scared the crap out of my then 2-year old daughter when Buddy kicked that one as well!

Obviously didn’t scar her though - she’s still got the number 23 on her jumper.

That game in July is probably the worst of all the horrible Footy Park memories. Just awful.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sleutheren

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
A lot of my favourite moments have already been mentioned, as you'd expect, so I'll bring up a 'nearly' moment.

Moments before Hodge kicked that goal off Rohan's kick in in the 2014 GF, Smith had streamed down the wing and handed it off to Puopolo who split 2 Swans and kicked from 50. It just missed (setting up the glorious Hodge goal) but it was sensational passage of play that, if kicked, would've broken Sydney's back. Thankfully we only had to wait another 10 seconds before that happened.
Also, Peter Donegan's call on the AFL live broadcast of the Puopolo miss is excellent.

Speaking of AFL live calls, did anyone ever get a hold of their call of the 2015 GF??

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have seen 12 HFC premierships but this is my single favourite moment.
The start of what would be our threepeat. Priceless.View attachment 742467
I'm the same. I've seen em all. But I've never heard a Hawk crowd roar like this. Was from deep down in the gut. We all knew.

Back