Blicavs retirement?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't hate Stanley, I just rate someone else more in a certain role. Chances are Stanley will be our makeshift CHF anyway.
Stanley every now and then looks like he could be an absolute star, unfortunately its only glimpses.
He got showed up in the finals badly. Needs to toughen up a bit I think.

Stanley every now and then looks like he could be an absolute star, unfortunately its only glimpses.
Stanley has the tools to be a genuine star but at the moment he goes missing too often. Needs to toughen up, improve his stamina and work on running to the right positions.

He won our B & F in his 3rd year. I think they'll find a role for him ;). He's also a tackling machine with a great reach. Perfect as a defensive mid against those new tall mids like Bontompelli.
And yet when s selwood came in blicavs was dumped from this role. Wrong or right call? You can only play one midfield tagger.

It isn't really. Stanley is actually pretty quick. Won a GF sprint if IIRC. Obviously not the tank of Blitz but would definitely have him covered for pace.
So you're agreeing with me?

My response was directed at the ignorant comment that Seeds quoted.

He's the 2nd ruck, how many clubs have two big ruckmen? He took over from Stanley in the ruck and had 17 HO's. Naismith at 205cm's had 18.
He's 2cm's shorter than Stanley but more athletically gifted. We shall see of course but too early to be setting up his tombstone.

So we are focusing on one game where he played well in the ruck against a pretty average ruckman?
I know the second ruck is there more for a contest and to get the odd win.
I wasn't trying to bury him either. I'm happy for him to run around on the wing/middle. I just don't think playing him as a ruckman is good for my team.

And yet when s selwood came in blicavs was dumped from this role. Wrong or right call? You can only play one midfield tagger.
Yep. Could be an OK role for Blitz. If he worked on his contested marking he could also provide a good get out option from defence and also be able to get free forward and hurt his opponent the other way.
He has the endurance. It needs to be harnessed and used in the right way.

Also Blicavs can be great. He can be ridiculously influential on the ground. He can have some dog days. His third man up was his weapon and it's been taken away. Great story, highly athletic, would love him to be in the side.
Unfortunately you have to be the best option for a position, and I don't like the thought of positions being invented so players get a game.

So we are focusing on one game where he played well in the ruck against a pretty average ruckman?
I know the second ruck is there more for a contest and to get the odd win.
I wasn't trying to bury him either. I'm happy for him to run around on the wing/middle. I just don't think playing him as a ruckman is good for my team.

Average, maybe. The point was he acquitted himself well against taller ruckmen so he has displayed that he's not too undersized which was the assertion earlier. He can ruck against taller players, his athleticism allows that.

Our 2nd ruck option is polarising, some prefer Stanley. Others don't. We'll find out in March I guess.

Average, maybe. The point was he acquitted himself well against taller ruckmen so he has displayed that he's not too undersized which was the assertion earlier. He can ruck against taller players, his athleticism allows that.

Our 2nd ruck option is polarising, some prefer Stanley. Others don't. We'll find out in March I guess.
Oh come on you are going to look at one game and ignore all his other ruck work? Not to mention it wasnt even a whole game and naismith was likely tired after jumping in the ruck contests since the start of the game whereas blicavs would of been much more fresh given he hadnt been. Even then its only naismith and one game. Stanley and smith have prooven regularly they are much more capable in the ruck against ruckman that often towelled blicavs up in 2015 and 2014.

Oh come on you are going to look at one game and ignore all his other ruck work? Not to mention it wasnt even a whole game and naismith was likely tired after jumping in the ruck contests since the start of the game whereas blicavs would of been much more fresh given he hadnt been. Even then its only naismith and one game. Stanley and smith have prooven regularly they are much more capable in the ruck against ruckman that often towelled blicavs up in 2015 and 2014.
The point wasn't that he was consistently awesome in the role (not that Stanley is either) but more that despite the claim he can ruck against taller opponents. Tom Downie is another example (2015). Stanley or Blicavs though, who's likely to be their opponents? You'd think a similar stature 2nd ruck or a CHF pinch hitting.

Is it though, the most Stanley has accrued is 15 hit outs per game average (2015) which was less than Blicavs that season, and Blicavs started that season as a midfielder.

and what ruckmen exactly would they be? You know, given Rhys only got over 20 hitouts 3 times this season...against McEvoy, Lobbe and Jacobs (with the Port game being a demolition job by us in the ruck, soundly beaten the other two times).

Smith? When have I had an issue with Smith? He's clearly our first choice and best ruckman. The debate is who is the better back up. That said, it's completely possible that all 3 will play at once with Stanley spending time as the nominal 2nd forward.

I'm all for the ban - let the ruckmen ruck! To be fair I'm probably just scarred - as a ruckman myself - from copping unexpected (and often deliberate) knees from pricks with a free run and jump into my thighs/hips.
Doesn't take 3rd man up to do the damage -

nicsandi.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he was the same at StKilda. When on song looks fantastic. But does not perform consistently and never has. He has to change that.

Also Blicavs can be great. He can be ridiculously influential on the ground. He can have some dog days. His third man up was his weapon and it's been taken away. Great story, highly athletic, would love him to be in the side.
Unfortunately you have to be the best option for a position, and I don't like the thought of positions being invented so players get a game.
I think the club would have seen this coming and had plans in place for how Blitz would be in the team in other positions. In this case, he now has to compete with other players for a spot as his unique talent is no longer legal.

We'll see, he started with nothing and only learned and improved. Even his post on social media was no doubt tongue in cheek. He knows he's good enough to be in the team even if he's not doing third man up.

Blitz can still make it as a defensive mid. We can't have both him and Scooter both playing in the same team as mids though.
Think about it , a midfield of Dangerwood, Menegola, Scooter and Blitz.
The ball winning and tackling abilities are there but the forward line delivery and turnovers would be horrendous.
Get Parfitt in the team

Natural ball winning footballer in the midfield? I like it.
Going by his highlights though it looks like his kicking needs a bit of work but it would be fantastic if he earned a spot for round 1.
There's nothing wrong with his kicking.

I liked Mitch Brown ( as a defender).
I also liked Walker as just a forward (not a ruck forward).
We didn't need a gun just someone who could take some pressure of Hawkins and kick 2 goals a game.
Unfortunately you've gotta give players continuous games to develop them.
Same with Kersten. Could of been good enough but needed to backed in.
I hope the next one we try we understand that they take time and we back in through the good and bad and actually leave in the one position.
It's hard though because it's sort of premiership or bust for the next couple of years it'll take some balls to give a young CHF plenty of games.
I don't think Stanley is the answer as a full time forward. To me he could be best as playing as the old school ruck/follower type.
I wasn't a Brown fan but admit early on when he was kicking bags in the 2s I was pushing to get him in the side but never stepped up.

Like you I had time for Walker as a forward,having to ruck as a 19 maybe 20 year old held back his progress as a key forward and then got flicked so we could retain all of Vardy Clark and Kersten,not the best out come that.

Again with you on Stanley.

Leaves the questions who plays the second key forward next year and where does Blits fit in,circular isn't it? and right now even though some will disagree I reckon we have just as much Idea as the club they will be still tossing ideas around.

I wasn't a Brown fan but admit early on when he was kicking bags in the 2s I was pushing to get him in the side but never stepped up.

Like you I had time for Walker as a forward,having to ruck as a 19 maybe 20 year old held back his progress as a key forward and then got flicked so we could retain all of Vardy Clark and Kersten,not the best out come that.

Again with you on Stanley.

Leaves the questions who plays the second key forward next year and where does Blits fit in,circular isn't it? and right now even though some will disagree I reckon we have just as much Idea as the club they will be still tossing ideas around.
Mitch Brown is a defender for mine who has had to play forward.
Yeah I'm preety sure the club will be struggling with what to do at CHF.
We've got a few options, Black, Taylor, Hendo, Stanley maybe Blitz but none of them seem like a real fix.
I hope we don't play Blitz as a key back. It's simply just inventing a spot for him.
We have excellent options there already, we are also too tall there at the moment and we have Gardiner coming through.
For mine Blitz either fights with Stanley to play 2nd ruck or fights with Scooter to play defensive mid.

he no sooner broke into the side and we ran out of ruckmen he lost two years of development as a forward doing the best he possibly could at his age 19/20? experience and size playing what everyone agrees including Scott out of position and out gunned in the ruck but we had no one else.
Fair comment.

A bit outside the box,Hawkins to CHF Menzel FF supported by the resting ruckman.
FF...MCcarthy Menzel Stanley
HF..Cocky Hawkins Motlop
Like it. Hawkins is at his best playing up the ground and is an excellent field kick inside 50.
Would like Smith there though. Would be bloody hard to beat 1 on 1. No key backs as tall as him.
Plenty of fire power and X factor with those smalls too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back