Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Amongst many of the contentious rules in our great game one that irks me the most is the blocking rule at a marking contest .

Sometimes its paid sometimes it isn’t , sometimes its ok if it’s a certain distance away from the mark.

When is a block not a shepherd?

Isn’t good body work one of the key skills in this highly physical game Therefore wouldn’t it make more sense to allow shepherding and even out the playing field removing the grey area of interpretation.

Last edited:
Has this been discussed Before ?
If so please link thread and I’ll delete this one

They are the same thing, it's just that you are not allowed to do it in a ruck or marking contest.
And my question is why not ?
It’s a natural part of the game
They do it all the time

So given it is so hard to adjudicate why not just let it be

They do it all the time

My take has always been you are allowed to block/shepherd within five meters of the ball when your team has possession

Not allowed to do it in marking contests, ruck contests or when the ball is in dispute because clearly your team does not have clear possession of the ball

I think it makes perfect sense otherwise you could have players that are never making a genuine effort to win the ball and simply scrag an opponent all game which I think is against the spirit of what the sport is about

They do it all the time

I don't think it is that hard to be honest. I'll admit ruck ones take a few years of watching footy but I can usually pick them now.

Why not? I think the game would lose a fair bit if we allowed it in marking contests to be honest.

Back