News "Blockbuster" fixture..are we the only Melb club without one now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2004
AFL Club
St Kilda
If North and the Bulldogs keep Good Friday, which seems very likely, that leaves us as the only Melbourne side without a regularly scheduled major fixture each year??

Carlton: Season Opener

Collingwood, Queens Birthday, ANZAC day

Essendon: ANZAC day, Dreamtime game

Geelong: Easter Monday

Hawthorn: Easter Monday

Melbourne: ANZAC Eve, Queens Birthday

North: Good Friday

Richmond: Dreamtime game., ANZAC Eve. , season opener

Bulldogs: Good Friday.

Yes we have Maddie's Match and Pride Game but they aren't regular fixtures in a regular timeslot..and the Pride game isnt even in Melb this year.

Seems fair...not.

It's a shame that our admin really lacked the innovation to lock in some opportunities for us during 04-11 when we had momentum and attention for so long.

The pride game is a good opportunity though.

Gil said yesterday that the two clubs aren't guarnteed to keep Good Friday. But there's already a groundswell of support to allow North and the Dogs to keep it to allow it to grow. And it's fair enough. They got a good crowd - only let down by the Medallion club, the game was exciting, TV viewership was on par with Friday nights. The only thing working against it over the near future is the imminent slide North are going down, and watching the Dogs slap them around as they get stronger won't be great for viewership.

The ball is now in our court to make the prospect of a Dogs vs Saints match up next year irresistible which, if we can just keep chipping away at the wins, will build itself. And hopefully Norf fall in a s**t heap too

It was North who have been pushing the Good Friday barrow for years...they were always going to get it...their opponents IMO were going to be us or the Dogs...and then the Dogs won a flag.
I cant see North losing it after one year tbh.

We need a game that is locked into a round/day/timeslot each year.
Dunno who to lay the blame with, but its very unfortunate we dont have one.

If North and the Bulldogs keep Good Friday, which seems very likely, that leaves us as the only Melbourne side without a regularly scheduled major fixture each year??

Yes we have Maddie's Match and Pride Game but they aren't regular fixtures in a regular timeslot..and the Pride game isnt even in Melb this year.

Seems fair...not.
Who?

Delist us

Queen's Birthday should be between us and the Tigers. Does anyone remember when we packed out Waverley in 1998 with 71,488 people. We have always had good crowds against them. If we have a blockbuster it should be against them IMHO.
I was there. I never realised that it was a Queens Birthday: is that why the crowd was so big? I just thought it was cos both teams were actually playing good footy for the first time in a while!

I think unfortunately we've lacked a bit of innovation and initiative in the past to really push for one of these kind of fixtures.

North definitely deserved Good Friday after all the campaigning they did for it, it was just a question of who they would play against. After last night's match I think the AFL will be happy to give it to them and the Bulldogs for another couple of years.

We need to try and find another day to make our own. I'm just not sure what's left on the calendar.

I was there. I never realised that it was a Queens Birthday: is that why the crowd was so big? I just thought it was cos both teams were actually playing good footy for the first time in a while!

Personally I believe we have a large walk up on the day supporter base, that prefer GA and first in best dressed that worked well at Waverley as it was close to our heartland. Etihad is so far from our supporter base that it has to be planned in advance, especially if you have kids. So a nice day, public holiday with a favourable time to play attracted large crowds like that one. If we have a blockbuster it has to be at the right time, with express trains running from key stops on the Frankston line to get our people in and out quickly. A stadium in the bayside South Eastern area favour us as that is where our fans are. That won't change, so how do we get them to the games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems fair...not.
I think Richmond should be stripped of it's Dreamtime game , and St.Kilda should take their place. We have had far more memorable aboriginal representation in our history , not to mention the better players and we even have the iconic moment at Victoria Park with Nicky Winmar's stand against rascism. The AFL are letting the animals run the zoo with blockbuster games.

Why don't we play a stand alone game on st paddy's day. We can wear green jumpers and we can all come and get royally ****ed up on $15 cups of warm green beer :)

I see no reason why the pride game can't develop into one. Same as maddie match really.

No use whinging about other clubs being gifted these opportunities (even if it is a valid point), better off getting around these events and being involved in what they stand for rather than the match itself and forcing the afls hand to promote them as such in following years.

Queens Birthday should be changed around I think, if the Saints got a stand alone game at the G vs Pies, Richmond etc 100% we would pull the crowd they do against fricken melbourne.
I went to a great game at the G on Queens Birthday Monday. 8 June 1992. About 80,000 present and we won by a point. Our coach was Ken Sheldon who I always felt did a good job with us.
I also no reason why the opening game belongs to Richmond and Carlton. It has been often a poor show case for the game. It should be gifted to the Premier and Minor Premier.
Perhaps we could lay the Pride Game at the time of the Gay Mardi Gra when in Sydney and make more of it. This year that was early in March, but we could start early.

AFL : "Here you go st kilda, it just needs some TLC."

blockbuster_placeholder.jpg

Seems fair...not.

To fix this obvious bias the Saints are going straight into the Grand Final every year , that will be our blockbuster game.

Also don't forget the interstate sides have blockbusters too, crows vs Port , Eagles vs dockers , Sydney vs gws , Brisbane vs suns

How on earth did Richmond end up with three games?
Sent via HAL

I would like to have a blockbuster game against Geelong every year . I like watching us play and the cats are good to watch too. And we do have a recent history going back to what was probably the best home and away game in history in 2009 when we were both undefeated after 14 rounds or what ever it was . That was a super game and the grand final that year was nearly as good , Geelong fans would say it was better of course.

Sent via HAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back