Blood Sugar Sex Magik or Nevermind

Blood Sugar is a superb album but I picked Nirvana cause when I remember hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit on the radio ,it was something unbelievable and real,something truly new and fresh.

That one song probably spawned the whole"grunge" movement.

Last edited:

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
smasha said:
Blood Sugar is a superb album but I picked Nirvana cause when I remember hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit on the radio ,it was something unbelivable and real.

That one song probably spawned the whole"grunge" movement.
it definetaly did and as great as the song is, i still debate that is was one of the worst things to happen to rock music.

Every band of that style that comes out now tries to do what Nirvana did. But 1) it's already been done and if there's one thing we know about rock music, to be popular you gotta do something that's original and 2) No one can do it even half as good as Nirvana did.

Best Coast

Senior List
Suspended
Nov 23, 2004
Peppermint Grove
Other Teams
The West Coast Eagles
I reckon BSSM, best songs: mellowship slinky in B major, if you had to ask, under the bridge, give it away, sir psycho sexy

35eye

Club Legend
Dec 8, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Blood Sugar Sex Magik all the way!

I love every song on this album. It is the best Chili Peppers release. Absolutely timeless and I play it regularly.

I was just watching Funky Monks through the week and marvelling at what an amazing job Rick Rubin did in bringing it together. If it wasn't for him, Under the Bridge would have remained a bunch of words in one of Anthony Kiedis' notebooks.

A brilliant balance of ballads, before a fierce jolt back to funk and rock. If I had to pick my top 3 songs I'll go The Greeting Song, Sir Psycho Sexy and Under The Bridge.

Has anyone read Anthony Kiedis' book yet?

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
BSSM wins hands down - it wins on the basis of "give it away" and "suck my kiss" alone

Jul 15, 2001
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Barnsley FC, Melbourne City, Bulls
35eye said:
Has anyone read Anthony Kiedis' book yet?

I've read it and it was awesome. Some of the stuff he's done is amazing and ********ed up at the same time.

It gets a bit repetitive after a while though, he gets on drugs, goes to rehab, stays off em for a while, goes on a binge and is back on them again, but its still one of the best books I've read (not a big reader though)

It mentions how a lot of the songs came about, including Under the Bridge, and it doesn't seem like he's holding anything back

Oct 17, 2000
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fitzroy
SydneyBomber said:
rhcp for me thanks.
Same here. And yes, believe it or not people I've heard the album and the Nirvana one, had a friend who was into that stuff who I lived with. Not sure about the Metallica one because I don't think I've heard it.

I'm sure some of you will be stunned. :p

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
Blood sugar, baby - she has it

Jun 2, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GWS
Black Thunder said:
it definetaly did and as great as the song is, i still debate that is was one of the worst things to happen to rock music.

Every band of that style that comes out now tries to do what Nirvana did. But 1) it's already been done and if there's one thing we know about rock music, to be popular you gotta do something that's original and 2) No one can do it even half as good as Nirvana did.

Better 1000 Nirvana wannabes than those 1000 record deals going to mindless dance remixes of ******** 80s synth-ballads... the good stuff will still get through, it just makes the leftovers more palatable.

Funkalicous

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2002
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Southport Sharks, Chicago Bulls
Soul to Squeeze was a B-side song from Blood Sugar Sex Magik. :eek:

Probably my favourite every albumn with INXS greatest hits.

Best songs are 'If you have to ask' and 'Sir Psyco Sexy'

Nevermind is an excelent albumn also but BSSM would have taken more talent to produce IMO.

Back