TheKanga

Brownlow Medallist
May 31, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Season 3 is the last one right? Don't want to start any more shows that aren't already finished. Sick of having to wait for new seasons to come out haha.

Yeah last one, it got axed after this.
However this will conclude everything as they knew going in it was the final one.

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Ive also watched the first two episodes of season 3 and I just want the longest night in history to be over. Loved the first two seasons but a disappointing start to season 3.

tek87

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
alot of viewers online have trashed season 3 and especially the last 2 episodes. Who put Ben Mendelsohn in that hideous wig? It took away from his performance. The last 2 episodes with Ben's return seem to signal an overbout of overacting by all and sundry. Such a shame to end a great show like that. Season 1 is a classic and Season 2 had some great moments

mandy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2001
Heaven
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Episode 1 & 2 drained my life. Episodes 3 - 8 were ok. Episode 9 was an absolute shitshow. Episode 10, so disappointing.

Really enjoyed season 1 & 2. Season 3 as a whole I'd rather forget.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The second last episode was a bizarre abomination. No idea who thought it was a good idea but did someone miss the fact everyone hated the Lost finale? The whole it was a dream/hallucination idea was banned in our grade 6 creative writing class for god's sake. At the start I thought it was cool but by the end it was just a jumbled mess. Unsurprisingly its ranking on IMDB is 4.1 while the series as a whole is 8.2.

Ended with a bit of a whimper. Kevin's escape was pointless given his recapture minutes later and Nolan was a nothing character in season three so it was bizarre that it effectively ended with him. Leguizamo's character's death was a strange dead end. It seems like they had planned an entire season expecting to get another year or two and had the cancellation sprung on them leaving them scrambling for an ending with a few days' notice.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I thought it was actually pretty good up until the last 2 eps. Some great work by Chandler and the guy who plays Kevin, the character was beyond ****ing useless but that was the point. Thought the guy who played O'Bannon also killed it, jesus the god damned Rayburns you'd just wanna kill em all if your were O'Bannon or his sister lol.

The second last episode was a bizarre abomination. No idea who thought it was a good idea but did someone miss the fact everyone hated the Lost finale? The whole it was a dream/hallucination idea was banned in our grade 6 creative writing class for god's sake. At the start I thought it was cool but by the end it was just a jumbled mess. Unsurprisingly its ranking on IMDB is 4.1 while the series as a whole is 8.2.

Ended with a bit of a whimper. Kevin's escape was pointless given his recapture minutes later and Nolan was a nothing character in season three so it was bizarre that it effectively ended with him. Leguizamo's character's death was a strange dead end. It seems like they had planned an entire season expecting to get another year or two and had the cancellation sprung on them leaving them scrambling for an ending with a few days' notice.

Agree with all of that. Probably didn't mind the weirdness in ep 9 as much as some but it was still ill-advised and a strange choice for a show that had been played completely straight up until that point. And yeah the finale felt a bit flat, although I did enjoy John telling Sally she had no idea what family was. She was as useless as Kevin in some ways. Other observations;

- yeah what the hell was the deal in Ozzy in the last half of that season? Finds jesus but never explored or explained. Thought he was playing some angle right up until the moment he blew his brains out, just weird.
- what the hell was up with the sheriff not caring about John's confession? Early season he'd been set up as the guy who was going to put it all together, some great scenes with him and John. Now he doesn't care about a cop FRAMING A GUY FOR MURDER to cover his brother because he's taking a job in Boston? Please.
- weird decision to have Nolan come back in at the end and try to shoe-horn him into some pivotal role after being a non-factor all season, never really made sense to me why he was hanging out with Chelsea & Ozzy.
- So Roy Gilbert had an affair with Sally, and also stabbed someone on a boat one time which Sally and Robert helped him cover up? Probably didn't need those extra layers, there was already enough going on.

All in all pretty good show, season 1 epic, seasons 2 and 3 merely solid.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Watching this from a recommendation, just finished the second last episode of season1 (was midnight so couldnt watch the last one, early start for work today) so not sure how they get 3 seasons out of this. Been very good, a real slow burner and pieces coming together. Reminds me of true detective style of a gradual slow build up to the climax, hopefully satisfies me more than true detective season 1 finale.

Ben Mendohlson is fantastic, this role is made for him. He does creepy so well, glad animal kingdom put him on the international scene (always liked him since idiot box)

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Finally finished this series. Overall it was decent but it really didn't move well enough for me. The end of season 3 was just bizarre and left a bitter taste in the mouth.

At it's best it was very good but felt like it was treading water a lot. Not a fan of 1 hour long episodes for shows that don't have big moments in episodes.

Would say 7/10 for the whole series.

Back