Bloods' fall from grace: what happened?

Rotayjay

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
G'day all. I have a soft spot for West Adelaide, since I've spent much of my life living in the west. I always like to see long premiership droughts broken, and last year it pleased me to see the Bloods win their first flag since 1983.

But how on earth did they go straight from premiers to wooden spooners? As someone who doesn't know much about the SANFL these days, I'm curious as to what was behind the fall from grace. Was the game plan found out, was it mental exhaustion or ageing, was it injuries, was it the Crows drafting spearhead Jono Beech?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
G'day all. I have a soft spot for West Adelaide, since I've spent much of my life living in the west. I always like to see long premiership droughts broken, and last year it pleased me to see the Bloods win their first flag since 1983.

But how on earth did they go straight from premiers to wooden spooners? As someone who doesn't know much about the SANFL these days, I'm curious as to what was behind the fall from grace. Was the game plan found out, was it mental exhaustion or ageing, was it injuries, was it the Crows drafting spearhead Jono Beech?
Having 6-7 from your premiership team drafted to the AFL (and then have a few of them play against you) will do it.

cm_perfect

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone know who to contact at Westies to provide some feedback about a function I am at today? (Apart from the manager on shift today)

Massive missed opportunity for a financially struggling SANFL team.

Happy for someone to PM contact details if the don't want to post them.

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

Having 6-7 from your premiership team drafted to the AFL (and then have a few of them play against you) will do it.

Scarily Similar to Freo in 2016....

Top or Near top of the ladder then drop down to the Bottom or Near Bottom. Combination of a few things... For Freo and West Adelaide...

-West Adelaide lost a few players in the off season. Some retired, Some were cut or left the club, some got picked up from the AFL teams While Freo Turfed some old guys out and delisted a few guys too.

-Both West Adelaide and Freo got injuries from the start of the season, which meant they couldn't play their best 18 blokes. This resulted in losses which dented the confidence and started a domino effect. Both teams were better in the 2nd half of the season but not by much.

Freomaniac

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
true.

Same thing happened with North Adelaide when they won the 2018 flag.

Win the flag, lose 5-7 players to afl teams. Some players retire or play country or amateur footy.

So out of the 21 players that play in the GF, 6-9 players are already gone. then injuries come in too.

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
true.

Same thing happened with North Adelaide when they won the 2018 flag.

Win the flag, lose 5-7 players to afl teams. Some players retire or play country or amateur footy.

So out of the 21 players that play in the GF, 6-9 players are already gone. then injuries come in too.
And then throw in losing two in the MSD.

Top Bottom