Analysis Bloods' Performance Discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

history is there to be made
don't look at it as 10 straight, just start with this weekend and it's six games, six wins
just keep winning ... one game at a time sounds dull and cliched ... but who cares ...
there's no longer any doubt that our best football is good enough to win every game from here
i mean, if david king says so ...
Of course I prefer 10 straight, who wouldn't, but I don't think it happens often on the way to a flag.

If it did happen I reckon it's dynasty territory

I've been thinking about whether its beneficial not losing another game until a potential GF or actually dropping a close one to Collingwood as streaks always come to an end, and it might just be a good refresher to the boys about being on point every game.

Anyone have the statistics on winning the last 7 of the H/A season and then 3 in a row to win the flag? 10 straight? I'd say the odds are pretty low and you need a loss in there, if not just for a mental reset

Or I could just be full of s**t
Maybe the Essendon side of 2000?

They lost against the Dogs in the infamous flooding match in round 21, only loss of the year. Then proceed to steamroll everyone else.
Cheers I forgot what round that was

I've been thinking about whether its beneficial not losing another game until a potential GF or actually dropping a close one to Collingwood as streaks always come to an end, and it might just be a good refresher to the boys about being on point every game.

Anyone have the statistics on winning the last 7 of the H/A season and then 3 in a row to win the flag? 10 straight? I'd say the odds are pretty low and you need a loss in there, if not just for a mental reset

Or I could just be full of s**t

2021 (Melbourne) Last Loss: Round 19 (lost by 20 to the Dogs)
2020 (Richmond) Last Loss: Qualifying Final (lost by 15 to the Lions) (last H&A loss was Round 11)
2019 (Richmond) Last Loss: Round 13 (lost by 33 to the Crows)
2018 (West Coast) Last Loss: Round 22 (lost by 17 to the Demons)
2017 (Richmond) Last Loss: Round 22 (lost by 14 to Geelong)
2016 (*) Last Loss: Round 23 (lost by 20 to Fremantle)
2015 (Hawthorn) Last Loss: Qualifying Final (lost by 32 to the Eagles)
2014 (Hawthorn) Last Loss: Round 21 (lost by 19 to Fremantle)
2013 (Hawthorn) Last Loss: Round 19 (lost by 41 to Richmond)
2012 (Sydney) Last Loss: Round 23 (lost by 34 to Geelong)

So only Richmond in 2019 went on a massive winning streak to end the season. Richmond 2020 is worth thinking about as well, given they had a big H&A winning streak going into finals and then lost a QF.

2021 (Melbourne) Last Loss: Round 19 (lost by 20 to the Dogs)
2020 (Richmond) Last Loss: Qualifying Final (lost by 15 to the Lions) (last H&A loss was Round 11)
2019 (Richmond) Last Loss: Round 13 (lost by 33 to the Crows)
2018 (West Coast) Last Loss: Round 22 (lost by 17 to the Demons)
2017 (Richmond) Last Loss: Round 22 (lost by 14 to Geelong)
2016 (*) Last Loss: Round 23 (lost by 20 to Fremantle)
2015 (Hawthorn) Last Loss: Qualifying Final (lost by 32 to the Eagles)
2014 (Hawthorn) Last Loss: Round 21 (lost by 19 to Fremantle)
2013 (Hawthorn) Last Loss: Round 19 (lost by 41 to Richmond)
2012 (Sydney) Last Loss: Round 23 (lost by 34 to Geelong)

So only Richmond in 2019 went on a massive winning streak to end the season. Richmond 2020 is worth thinking about as well, given they had a big H&A winning streak going into finals and then lost a QF.
Awesome, thanks for putting that together. So pretty much most premiers do drop 1 game near the end of the H/A season. Wouldn't be end of the world dropping a close one to Collingwood tbh

Awesome, thanks for putting that together. So pretty much most premiers do drop 1 game near the end of the H/A season. Wouldn't be end of the world dropping a close one to Collingwood tbh
Are you kidding me? No way would I be even close to happy if we dropped a game to those scum.

Are you kidding me? No way would I be even close to happy if we dropped a game to those scum.
Of course a win would be great but most premiers drop a game in the last few rounds, so statistically speaking wouldn't hate it if it means a flag. If we lose to Collingwood and no flag then that's a different conversation..

Of course a win would be great but most premiers drop a game in the last few rounds, so statistically speaking wouldn't hate it if it means a flag. If we lose to Collingwood and no flag then that's a different conversation..
I hear you, but wouldn't it be better if such a loss didn't come against our biggest challengers for a top four spot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we drop that one we’re probably missing the top 4 so would make winning a premiership very difficult.

The last few days of discussion on here has reminded me exactly why I don't miss being a contender.

So. Much. Stress.

Every game is a must-win game. You can't just beat a team, you have to thump them for percentage. You are nervously watching other games pinning your hopes on a certain team losing. Player X, Y and Z need resting. Every time a player goes down with an ankle tweak you're on the edge of your seat.

Stuff that.

Give me 2019/20 any day. "We only lost by 3 goals today! **** YEAH!"

The last few days of discussion on here has reminded me exactly why I don't miss being a contender.

So. Much. Stress.

Every game is a must-win game. You can't just beat a team, you have to thump them for percentage. You are nervously watching other games pinning your hopes on a certain team losing. Player X, Y and Z need resting. Every time a player goes down with an ankle tweak you're on the edge of your seat.

Stuff that.

Give me 2019/20 any day. "We only lost by 3 goals today! **** YEAH!"
You keep thinking that. I'm enjoying the ride.
I remember going down to Adelaide in 2012 and watching us win a game no-one said we could. Pressure and guts.
Heart in mouth stuff.
The best feeling.

That's also a valid list. I feel like we have so many quality players that who out of them is most important could be as simple as whoever is in the best form out of the lot of them. I mean just this year alone I feel like we have had so many different players stand up and shine in great wins.

I guess I'd look at most important as not necessarily who is best, but who makes the team and our game plan function best. Ie. How irreplaceable are they and what they do? How much would their absence effect team dynamics and structure? Do they make life easier for those around them?
Yeah, I had a very similar definition in my mind, but it's such a privilege that you could ask 5 different people and get probably around 15 total players.
I would be surprised if Fox, Blakey, and Florent are up there in importance. Don't think it's any coincidence that those three going back has led to our good form.
You could also make arguments for Reid, Buddy, and Hayward.
All this while ignoring 2/3 of our captains.
This list build is really special, hoping we can keep 80-90% together over the next few years.

edit: Mentioned Florent too many times

Last edited:
You keep thinking that. I'm enjoying the ride.
I remember going down to Adelaide in 2012 and watching us win a game no-one said we could. Pressure and guts.
Heart in mouth stuff.
The best feeling.
Oh don't worry, I'm enjoying it. I'm just hating it.

Yeah, I had a very similar definition in my mind, but it's such a privilege that you could ask 5 different people and get probably around 15 total players.
I would be surprised if Florent, Blakey, and Florent are up there in importance. Don't think it's any coincidence that those three going back has led to our good form.
You could also make arguments for Reid, Buddy, and Hayward.
All this while ignoring 2/3 of our captains.
This list build is really special, hoping we can keep 80-90% together over the next few years.
Gonna assume you meant Fox as one of the bolded, in which case I very much agree. Those three have changed the face of our defence. They link the back six with the midfield group. It sounds so simple in theory - that is the job of half-backs after all. But I don't think there's a better group in the AFL at the moment at linking the defensive marks and spoils of the Paddy/Tom/Rampe types with the rebounding run and gun of our mids. And whilst we were so worried about what losing Dawson would do to our defensive transitions, we've just amassed so many who can take the game on and run it out.

I think if anyone has paid the price for this development, it's McInerney. But it's undeniably made the team so much more dangerous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back