Analysis Bloods' Performance Discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

When we win contested ball we have won 22/24 quarters.

As a team we have all the tools to be the best, just lack consistency. Really well placed.

Pin it to the top of this thread. That's all we need to know. Win the contested ball, win the game. I hope this is getting drilled into our players every day. It's been our focus since preseason.

I rekn the short term memory loss is Reid's godly performances. He does it in multiple games every year. He rarely puts in a bad performance, and the gaps between his form tends to be injury. He was outstanding early last year, then put in a colossus of a performance v essendon, then from memory got injured and only didn't come back in because of McLean and armatys good form. If Reid is fit and puts up an above average performance, then he's a lock at that point. The only thing that knocks him off is injury. Once he's up and running he's actually very consistent until he does a calf. The only times he gets roasted is the first couple of games underdone post injury. It's a recurring theme hence the confusion regarding his ability amongst the supporter base.
Not sure about "godly" performances. He had a good game at the weekend yes. The reason why we're all raving (and I was too) is because it's unexpected. I think there's a fair bit of revisionism and ignores the runs of games he's had at senior level since early last year, and in reserves where he's looked barely serviceable (or worse). Anyway, I don't think he should be dropped at the moment but we have others competing for the spot, so he's not a lock.

Last edited:
Not sure about "godly" performances. He had a good game at the weekend yes. The reason why we're all raving (and I was too) is because it's unexpected. I think there's a fair bit of revisionism and ignores the runs of games he's had at senior level since early last year, and in reserves where he's looked barely serviceable (or worse). Anyway, I don't think he should be dropped at the moment but we have others competing for the spot, so he's not a lock.
Was completely expected from my point of view. Like I said the only reason it seems unexpected is because he has constantly had injury gaps in his career which is what has caused people to almost forget his ability to then not expect much from him when he comes back. Then when he does come back and plays consistent solid footy they revise their thoughts. That's where the revisionism regarding Reid is coming from. Everyone being shocked at his good performances after a string of games has been ongoing for the last 10 years like clockwork. It's at an eye rolling point now.

Even at his worst Reid will always bring the ball to ground at the very least. I honestly can't say I remember a single moment in his whole career where he's lost a contest. And he's always worked his arse off, his tackles and second efforts on the weekend wasn't a flash in the pan.

I don't see how all of Ladhams, Hickey, Franklin, Mcdonald & Reid fit into our best 22. One of them will be stiff to miss out but that's what happens with great teams. I assume it'll be Hickey considering his injury history this season and form of others. I've loved the mobility of our forward line without Buddy, he's looked a bit lethargic in his past few games. Hopefully the break will do him good.

After Reids performance against the Dees i'm hoping we see him as our deepest tall forward. Have Buddy playing further up the ground, it was depressing watching defensive players run off buddy once they marked it, leading to an easy exit out of the forward 50. At least with Reid he'll be able to apply more pressure in our forward 50. Allows Franklin to use his elite field kicking and potential mismatch in transition.

Very interested to see how we structure our team once all our talls are available.

Was completely expected from my point of view. Like I said the only reason it seems unexpected is because he has constantly had injury gaps in his career which is what has caused people to almost forget his ability to then not expect much from him when he comes back. Then when he does come back and plays consistent solid footy they revise their thoughts. That's where the revisionism regarding Reid is coming from. Everyone being shocked at his good performances after a string of games has been ongoing for the last 10 years like clockwork. It's at an eye rolling point now.

Even at his worst Reid will always bring the ball to ground at the very least. I honestly can't say I remember a single moment in his whole career where he's lost a contest. And he's always worked his arse off, his tackles and second efforts on the weekend wasn't a flash in the pan.
It's still revisionism because what you said just isn't true. Most are aware of what he can do (I like him, he's been a valuable team member when fit in the past), but are also well aware that he very infrequently does it in recent years, or can do it and then drop off, where it's nothing to do with injury.

E.g. Reid had some good games earlier last year, people were up and about on him. He got injured yes. He then came back, looked very subpar in seniors, serviceable at reserves level. OK, fair enough. Interrupted year. Then comes this pre-season and early reserves games, not coming off an injury - he doesn't look good at all, can't take marks, misses almost every shot (some very poorly), although yes, as anyone who has been paying attention over his career, his 2nd efforts/pressure were decent. He manages to get a senior call up (somehow) and does ok the first week (North), not much the week after in a romp against the Eagles and deservedly gets dropped. Gets a senior callup again after mediocre reserves form (where he still can't kick straight) and puts in a legitimately good performance for the first time in a year (hence the surprise). If you want to say you knew it was coming, fine, it's just not based on anything.

It's still revisionism because what you said just isn't true. Most are aware of what he can do (I like him, he's been a valuable team member when fit in the past), but are also well aware that he very infrequently does it in recent years, or can do it and then drop off, where it's nothing to do with injury.

E.g. Reid had some good games earlier last year, people were up and about on him. He got injured yes. He then came back, looked very subpar in seniors, serviceable at reserves level. OK, fair enough. Interrupted year. Then comes this pre-season and early reserves games, not coming off an injury - he doesn't look good at all, can't take marks, misses almost every shot (some very poorly), although yes, as anyone who has been paying attention over his career, his 2nd efforts/pressure were decent. He manages to get a senior call up (somehow) and does ok the first week (North), not much the week after in a romp against the Eagles and deservedly gets dropped. Gets a senior callup again after mediocre reserves form (where he still can't kick straight) and puts in a legitimately good performance for the first time in a year (hence the surprise). If you want to say you knew it was coming, fine, it's just not based on anything.
Dunno I expect the odd massive game from him looking at previous evidence, the rest i've come to expect him to be decent at the very least, which is why I rate him and his consistency when fit. He only has the odd impactless game, but like I said even at his worst he will still do the little things. Unlike a McLean who if not having a good game is completely negligible.

Where we go wrong as spectators is expecting a performance like that every week. The matchup doesn't always fall your way. Reid always does the little things in his control when the game isn't going his way. His only knock is his kicking which fair enough is a shambles.

Dunno I expect the odd massive game from him looking at previous evidence, the rest i've come to expect him to be decent at the very least, which is why I rate him and his consistency when fit. He only has the odd impactless game, but like I said even at his worst he will still do the little things. Unlike a McLean who if not having a good game is completely negligible.

Where we go wrong as spectators is expecting a performance like that every week. The matchup doesn't always fall your way. Reid always does the little things in his control when the game isn't going his way. His only knock is his kicking which fair enough is a shambles.
If you're a key forward, you need to be able to convert more often than not, I don't care what else you can do. Not have fans expecting a shank out on the full most times when you line up.

Reid has had 2 fairly impactless, 1 decent and 1 good game at senior level this year. After a run of injury free games late last year and earlier this year. I'm not cracking the champagne yet, as good as it was to see him in form the other night. And the reason why we're up and about, isn't because he blew the game away, he just had a good game, something we should expect our senior, more experienced players to do most weeks, otherwise we may as well expose others at the senior level.

I don't see how all of Ladhams, Hickey, Franklin, Mcdonald & Reid fit into our best 22. One of them will be stiff to miss out but that's what happens with great teams. I assume it'll be Hickey considering his injury history this season and form of others. I've loved the mobility of our forward line without Buddy, he's looked a bit lethargic in his past few games. Hopefully the break will do him good.

After Reids performance against the Dees i'm hoping we see him as our deepest tall forward. Have Buddy playing further up the ground, it was depressing watching defensive players run off buddy once they marked it, leading to an easy exit out of the forward 50. At least with Reid he'll be able to apply more pressure in our forward 50. Allows Franklin to use his elite field kicking and potential mismatch in transition.

Very interested to see how we structure our team once all our talls are available.
You're probably, almost certainly, right. Too tall, or more the point as you make, too porous.
I said elsewhere I doubt Hickey will be considered for seniors before Rd 16. Two leg injuries will have left him well short of a gallop.
Then it will be most likely between he and Ladhams if Reid and McDonald hold form and remain fit. Too far ahead to predict for sure.

If you're a key forward, you need to be able to convert more often than not, I don't care what else you can do. Not have fans expecting a shank out on the full most times when you line up.

Reid has had 2 fairly impactless, 1 decent and 1 good game at senior level this year. After a run of injury free games late last year and earlier this year. I'm not cracking the champagne yet, as good as it was to see him in form the other night. And the reason why we're up and about, isn't because he blew the game away, he just had a good game, something we should expect our senior, more experienced players to do most weeks, otherwise we may as well expose others at the senior level.
What do you expect though? He's not a premier key forward of the comp. Do you want him to kick a bag every week? For a second string forward he is more than serviceable. Name me a single player other than the handful of top notch key forwards in the game who kill it in every game, even they have off games. Like I said not every game goes your way in terms of momentum or ability to make a strong impact. A 50/50 good to average game ratio is still very good in comparison. And I still beg to differ re his impactless games. Might not impact on the scoreboard necessarily and might not rack up heaps of it in his lesser games but still does what he is in control of. You can either have Reid who will make some important plays in a down game rather than a McLean type who will absolutely s**t the bed when the heat is on. I can't think of any other Reid type player in the comp who plays more consistently than him.

Last edited:
What do you expect though? He's not a premier key forward of the comp. Do you want him to kick a bag every week? For a second string forward he is more than serviceable. Name me a single player other than the handful of top notch key forwards in the game who kill it in every game, even they have off games. Like I said not every game goes your way in terms of momentum or ability to make a strong impact. A 50/50 good to average game ratio is still very good in comparison. And I still beg to differ re his impactless games. Might not impact on the scoreboard necessarily and might not rack up heaps of it in his lesser games but still does what he is in control of. You can either have Reid who will make some important plays in a down game rather than a McLean type who will absolutely s**t the bed when the heat is on. I can't think of any other Reid type player in the comp who plays more consistently than him.
He has lost a heap of one on ones

I’m not bagging and imo he is the perfect what should be a 2 ruck forward but his consistency has been a problem his career despite injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I give up. If you think Reid has had a 50/50 good to average game ratio in the last year, across reserves and seniors, we're just not engaging in the same reality. Whatever, he's in the team now and if you perform well in your last game, you shouldn't get dropped, so at least we agree on that.

And no I don't expect him to kick a bag every week, but not having us collectively shudder when he lines up to take a kick, that's what I expect. He's done that over a couple of weeks, good on him, it's been a while coming.

I give up. If you think Reid has had a 50/50 good to average game ratio in the last year, across reserves and seniors, we're just not engaging in the same reality. Whatever, he's in the team now and if you perform well in your last game, you shouldn't get dropped, so at least we agree on that.

And no I don't expect him to kick a bag every week, but not having us collectively shudder when he lines up to take a kick, that's what I expect. He's done that over a couple of weeks, good on him, it's been a while coming.
Couldn't give two craps about reserves. AFL level he's easy 50/50 if not better. Why would you even account reserves when he's clearly going to be underdone playing there, most likely returning from injury.

In the last two games Reid has kicked 3 goals, the latter as our best on ground. He's also been very impactful around the ground and played a number of roles. His last two games were not merely decent and good. They were very good and excellent.

Could be wrong but I feel like every game this year where I've thought our midfield has been great, I've looked at the stats sheet after the game and seen the mids had very low numbers, relatively speaking.

RD1 vs GWS:
Mills - 21 disposals
Parker - 21 disposals
Florent - 20 disposals
Rowbottom - 18 disposals

RD11 vs Richmond:
Warner - 27 disposals
Parker - 26 disposals
Mills - 20 disposals
Rowbottom - 19 disposals

RD12 vs Melbourne:
Mills - 26 disposals
Warner - 19 disposals
Parker - 17 disposals
Rowbottom - 16 disposals

I feel like we are better when the midfield is in bang for their buck mode. You don't need to accumulate if every touch is a hard ball won, a clean break from congestion, a thumping deep entry inside 50, a line breaking change of direction, a simple handball to a free man on the outside, or a touch earned from causing a turnover. I think when the mids are doing these things, there's less over-possessing, less repeat stoppages and less rolling scrums. It means they're less prolific individually but far more damaging as a unit and better suited to our fast, direct, attacking game plan.

Could be wrong but I feel like every game this year where I've thought our midfield has been great, I've looked at the stats sheet after the game and seen the mids had very low numbers, relatively speaking.

RD1 vs GWS:
Mills - 21 disposals
Parker - 21 disposals
Florent - 20 disposals
Rowbottom - 18 disposals

RD11 vs Richmond:
Warner - 27 disposals
Parker - 26 disposals
Mills - 20 disposals
Rowbottom - 19 disposals

RD12 vs Melbourne:
Mills - 26 disposals
Warner - 19 disposals
Parker - 17 disposals
Rowbottom - 16 disposals

I feel like we are better when the midfield is in bang for their buck mode. You don't need to accumulate if every touch is a hard ball won, a clean break from congestion, a thumping deep entry inside 50, a line breaking change of direction, a simple handball to a free man on the outside, or a touch earned from causing a turnover. I think when the mids are doing these things, there's less over-possessing, less repeat stoppages and less rolling scrums. It means they're less prolific individually but far more damaging as a unit and better suited to our fast, direct, attacking game plan.
100% this. Need a stat for cheap possessions like kick ins and run around hand balls.

Two areas I'd like us to focus on over the off-season both relate to withstanding pressure. I know the obvious problem this year has been our application in games ebbing and flowing too much, but even if you play four quarters of high-intensity footy, it won't matter if you can't play through pressure. Especially in finals where teams are unlikely to go easy on you and let up for a quarter or two.

1. Our hand skills. I know I say this nearly every week and at this point it's potentially beating a dead horse, but how many times today - and against the Bulldogs, and against Gold Coast, and against Carlton - did a Swans player find himself under pressure, and have no Swans around him, and have to resort to a hurried, dinky kick that more often than not results in a turnover? Quite often. We don't position ourselves for run and carry by hands. We position ourselves for an uncontested, short kicking game, but that kinda comes unstuck as soon as we encounter intense team defence. So many times today we could've just gotten ourselves out of trouble if we were able to just get the quick hands to the exit player. And on the occasions when we did use that exit player by hand... so. many. fumbles. Which brought the handball chain unstuck every time. Practice our run and carry, our running patterns, and our hand skills over the summer. Over and over. It absolutely can be remedied, especially with a skilful bunch like ours.

2. Our ability to break tackles. I feel like against Richmond and to a lesser extent Melbourne, we faced quality opposition putting pressure on us, which naturally involved a lot of our players getting tackled. But I'd imagine if there was a stat for "tackles broken" or "disposals whilst getting tackled", our numbers would've been through the roof in those games. But today - and against the Bulldogs, and against Gold Coast, and against Carlton - we'd get tackled and we just couldn't get the ball out. Couldn't free our arms, or shake out of a tackle, or get the ball to boot even if it's in a scrappy way. Yes Port's tackling was ferocious, but getting tackled doesn't have to mean the ball is no longer a live ball. Just a bit of body strength and nous and composure even in the tackle to get the ball out can go a long way, rather than resulting in so many 'dead balls' and attacking passages just coming to a sudden and grinding halt.

Fix these and I reckon we become an absolute force, because it gives us different looks when we can't get our kick-mark-kick-mark rebounding game going. Look forward to seeing how we can improve in these areas.

The top 8 is open to 12 teams as it stands and St Kilda is the only team I feel confident going into a final against them.

Melbourne - unlikely
Brisbane - no
Geelong - maybe
Fremantle - unlikely
Carlton - maybe
St Kilda - sure
Collingwood - maybe
Richmond - unlikely
Bulldogs - unlikely
Gold Coast - no (we dont beat GC ever)
Port Adelaide - unlikely

I'll ride out 2022 but its not our year unless something dramatic happens.

The top 8 is open to 12 teams as it stands and St Kilda is the only team I feel confident going into a final against them.

Melbourne - unlikely
Brisbane - no
Geelong - maybe
Fremantle - unlikely
Carlton - maybe
St Kilda - sure
Collingwood - maybe
Richmond - unlikely
Bulldogs - unlikely
Gold Coast - no (we dont beat GC ever)
Port Adelaide - unlikely

I'll ride out 2022 but its not our year unless something dramatic happens.

Finals are just pointless with this side honestly.

JPK and Rampe are done, Hickey, Buddy and Parker will join them soon.

Mills and Papley are 25. Heeney is 26.
Between these 3, they have 1 AA selection and 0 B&Fs.

4 years ago we would've been expecting them to be in their prime and leading us back into the top 4.

For perspective.

JPK at age 26 was a 2x AA, premiership player and B&F of a premiership team
Parker at age 25 was AA, 2x B&F with one of them in a team that went 17-5 with 140%, premiership player
Hanners at age 25 was a 3x AA, premiership player (could've easily been a Norm Smith Medallist), AFLCA POTY

At some point you have to drop the young and developing tag and become elite. 2-3 more middling years and we may have wasted the best years of an extremely talented group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back