Game Day Bloods v Blues - Rd 16, 2020

Playing Aliir in Ruck cost us down back, particularly in the wet. We didn't get many advantages from him in the ruck, would of been better running Redi there and leaving Aliir back.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Yeah top response in another teams board.

I didn't agree with the criticism but you can see why certain Swans fans would be pissed!
Honestly. The fact that it sucks so much to lose is unbelievable. Your team has no right to be playing as well as it is given the average age of the group. A long way to go in the rebuild but can’t remember seeing a club go backwards and quickly look so optimistic as quickly as you have.

All the best.

No, cant agree with that. The side is not mediocre...Melbourne is mediocre
Who have still won two more games than us. Good sides do not go 5-10. Even mediocre sides have games where they play excellent footy.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
but we werent running them ragged - we kicked 7 goals from 16 forward 50s and they had none from 22. the next 10 minutes they won the clearances all the time. we weren't on top so much as we were leading

we 've got some issues in the midfield and our forward line needs to improve, but with heeney and a fit 2016 buddy we have some of those answers. i'm not sure what the answers are with the midfield and the refusal to take some shots and make the most of them (hayward twice and blakey twice) do suggest the forward line needs work.

Start fixing the midfield with advising Kennedy to retire. One of the best Swans of all time but its exactly that. Time. He is holding us back with his cement boots and his diabolical disposal in quick ball movement situations. Do what Clarkson did and start throwing wildcards through the midfield to reinvent it. That with the developing young mids we have and you don;t know what you will come up with. It outweighs the current model which is pedestrian and outdated in the way it is structured and sets up its combinations.

Clumsy as fu** also how can you not score from 40m out under no pressure.
When you kick off the instep in the wet and not straight on, that's how. Blakey kicked it the way he hits a set shot for distance. That was poor no doubt, there was a bit of pressure there though but poor technique will let you down when you are under pressure.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Honestly. The fact that it sucks so much to lose is unbelievable. Your team has no right to be playing as well as it is given the average age of the group. A long way to go in the rebuild but can’t remember seeing a club go backwards and quickly look so optimistic as quickly as you have.

All the best.
Hopefully it can come to something. Too many promising teams atm.

Thanks for the kind words though

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Have a feeling we are going to see a lot of ins/outs this week

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Another goalless quarter kills us.
Can't wait to get that out of our game.

melbournehammer

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
No, cant agree with that. The side is not mediocre...Melbourne is mediocre. Our side was gassed and made bad decisions. The play I the first 25 minutes is not that of a mediocre side. We are transitioning, and some really hard calls are going to be made at seasons end I think.

We let ourselves down with skill errors and sometimes playing too safe I....but mediocre we are not.

i guess in my mind we are 13 and 24 for the past two seasons. i agree as a club there are good signs and the point i am trying to make is that we should be ok in 12 months but objectively over the past two seasons we are a mediocre team but one with potential this team can learn from their mistakes. they have time to do so

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
If the list cuts do come true, I do see some hard calls being made to be honest. We already retired Jack, Grundy, Smith and McVeigh. That was phase 1. Could be saying goodbye to JPK and Sinclair at the end of season.

i guess in my mind we are 13 and 24 for the past two seasons. i agree as a club there are good signs and the point i am trying to make is that we should be ok in 12 months but objectively over the past two seasons we are a mediocre team but one with potential this team can learn from their mistakes. they have time to do so
Yeah, this is where I'm at. I think in a couple of years time we'll be an excellent team. But it's clear we're very much a developing one. If anything we've probably exceeded expectations this season.

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Not for the first time we had to move our no 1 ruckman out of the ruck to get remotely competitive in the middle. Centre clearances have killed us for a fair while, can't believe they didn't address the ruck last off-season but surely won't make the same mistake again this one coming.
It was a dead rubber game, wonder if long term a loss will do more good than a win. Losing sucks but a win might've papered over some things that shouldn't be papered over.

Last quarter was comical how bad both teams were, both did their best to lose at times with laughable mistakes and neither could punish. Blakey and Hayward with terrible misses that couldn't even score. Both teams fiddled around with the ball far too much for the conditions.
McCartin was one who really did stand up.....may never get back into the forward line way he's playing, looks really good down back could be the KPD we've really needed. Dawson was good too. Florent ok early before fading out...a lot of players were down throughout though, Papley kind of petering out or struggling with the extra attention the last 6 or so games.

If the list cuts do come true, I do see some hard calls being made to be honest. We already retired Jack, Grundy, Smith and McVeigh. That was phase 1. Could be saying goodbye to JPK and Sinclair at the end of season.
IIRC both are contracted to 2021 so won't be retiring after this season.

I think that's the end of the line for them two and Reid (and quite probably Buddy given he won't be on as much money in 2022) though.

Back