Bloody sweet!

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
I agree that AFL should award medal to the players that get the team there on only the 22 on the day. Wouldn't Modra be one of the stiffest to miss out after a great year in 97 just to miss GF with a knee injury.

Would say 5 games be enough to qualify??????

I'd go for 11 as a cut off point being as good as any. 1/2 the H&A round.
5 Games would mean Matthew Collins, Brett Chalmers, Brent Williams, and Jason McCartney would qualify.

Thanks for pointing that out by the way Dyertribe. I don't follow Soccer at all (I am a "monocodist") so I wasn't aware of that.

Originally posted by DaveW
I think that went over your head. ;)

Speaking of things going over peoples heads - I'm still puzzled as to how the hell Brayden Lyle won the Fos Williams Medal that year :confused:

Originally posted by dyertribe
In English soccer squad medals are struck for those that play a minimum amount of league games over the course of the season for the Champions.

It's really not that hard... and certainly less discriminatory than limiting the glory of a Premiership to just the 20/21/22 that run out on the final day of the season.

Then again, the English Premier League does not end with any equivalent of the Grand Final.

I bet that only the players involved on FA Cup Final day get a medal..........

Originally posted by marvin
Then again, the English Premier League does not end with any equivalent of the Grand Final.

I bet that only the players involved on FA Cup Final day get a medal..........

The FA Cup is a different kettle of fish as it is a knockout competition in which every club from the Premiership down to your local pub side enters.

Does anyone know the status on the eligibility for NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL championship rings? That would be the closest simile to the AFL with a league season followed by a finals series.

Originally posted by lozstar
felt so sorry for Wanganeen to only miss out by 1 vote after the fantastic year he had... :(
There is a hard luck story of this year. I thought he got robbed in 3 games where he was IMHO BOG but didn't get any votes.

He really deserved to join the 3 winners because he has had as good a year as any of them.

Does anyone know the status on the eligibility for NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL championship rings? That would be the closest simile to the AFL with a league season followed by a finals series.
If my memory serves me correclty, in the NBA before the play off start, the team has to choose its roster for the play offs and if the team wins the championships, every player on the play off roster gets a championship ring

Andrew Gaze got an NBA ring for his role in San Antonio's 1998-1999 championship - after 19 out of 50 games averaging 1.1 points per game, and being left off the squad for the playoffs.

Doesn't mean I agree with the concept.

Originally posted by marvin
Andrew Gaze got an NBA ring for his role in San Antonio's 1998-1999 championship - after 19 out of 50 games averaging 1.1 points per game, and being left off the squad for the playoffs.

Doesn't mean I agree with the concept.
That was the lock out season so the rules might have been a little different.

Happy to be proven wrong. :)

But what happens is a star player gets traded half season and his former team gets the ring does he get one????? He would have helped take them to the play offs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Stiffy_18
That was the lock out season so the rules might have been a little different.

Happy to be proven wrong. :)

But what happens is a star player gets traded half season and his former team gets the ring does he get one????? He would have helped take them to the play offs.

Gaze was on the "injured list" as of the finals. If he had been waived or traded, he wouldn't have got the ring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back