Analysis Blow it up - when's the next premiership window and how do we get there?

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s lots of reasons, I’ve outlined them many times, including player retention.

As for bad drafting, no one is going to nail every pick and considering the percentages with what he’s had to work with, Ogilvie has done a good job.

Would also help if we could attract players like West Coast.

Im going to hammer home the advantage of getting SA talent and we have certainly had the opportunity and as much as you hate it we can trade players and picks like port did. Ogilvie clearly has no concern with the concentration of SA talent I think he has changed recently but is it too late, we now need a full rebuild. The obvious advantage which you just mentioned, player retention

tell me how these teams were made up of with SA talent adelaides 2 x premierships Ports 1 premiership

Now we look at west coast

Something very much in common with these three teams and premierships

Im going to hammer home the advantage of getting SA talent and we have certainly had the opportunity and as much as you hate it we can trade players and picks like port did. Ogilvie clearly has no concern with the concentration of SA talent I think he has changed recently but is it too late, we now need a full rebuild. The obvious advantage which you just mentioned, player retention

tell me how these teams were made up of with SA talent adelaides 2 x premierships Ports 1 premiership

Now we look at west coast

Something very much in common with these three teams and premierships
Ok name me all the Western Australians in West Coast premiership side and if they were drafted or traded in. Because the Norm Smith Medalist is a Vic, their Captain is from SA.

You keep saying like Port did, I can’t recall you suggesting which players we should have traded last year to get in the top 5 to get the SA talent.

Ok name me all the Western Australians in West Coast premiership side and if they were drafted or traded in. Because the Norm Smith Medalist is a Vic, their Captain is from SA.

You keep saying like Port did, I can’t recall you suggesting which players we should have traded last year to get in the top 5 to get the SA talent.

Are you seriously discounting last year how they went hard as to get Rozee

Hard to say, if we're switched on 2022-2023 is very feasible as the rebound year. If we get stuck, it could be a dark decade ahead.

There is a good core of kids there, but really, every club every year has that to varying degrees.

The real question is are we ruthless enough to do it properly, and that is a facet that'd scare anyone seeing this club is nothing but complacent.

The key is cutting deep in our off-field this year. Chapman, and not picking his chosen successor is a start, but the big two are Burton and Camporeale. They need to be jettisoned big time, as our rebuild hinges on it really.

Last edited:
Are you seriously discounting last year how they went hard as to get Rozee
Is that what you interpreted from my post because I didn’t suggest anything of the sort.

I asked you for all the West Australians in the West Coast premiership side.

I also pointed out I can’t remember you suggesting which players we should have traded to get into the top 5.

Surely after the Dog's and Tiger's flags, the concept of a premiership window is flawed. Just need to get your s**t together for 15-20 weeks, and ding-dong, a premiership.

Is that what you interpreted from my post because I didn’t suggest anything of the sort.

I also pointed out I can’t remember you suggesting which players we should have traded to get into the top 5.

Why didn't you respond to how Port went after the SA talent by trading for it, but try and call top 5 by avoiding the question I suppose

The WA talent is listed in the article recently posted go look it up

Surely after the Dog's and Tiger's flags, the concept of a premiership window is flawed. Just need to get your s**t together for 15-20 weeks, and ding-dong, a premiership.
For that 15-22 weeks of flag-winning football to happen, you need the list. It's going to be difficult for us to gather the required mix and calibre of players over the short to medium term.

Why didn't you respond to how Port went after the SA talent by trading for it, but try and call top 5 by avoiding the question I suppose
What are you on about? What have I avoided?

Port went hard and gave up a lot.

We’ve said we tried and couldn’t get up there. You laughingly suggested a few weeks back we should have offered two first rounders, if you think we didn’t do that you are nutty.

So given two first rounders weren’t enough to get it done, which quality players did you mention during last year’s trade period we should have given up?

Hard to say, if we're switched on 2022-2023 is very feasible as the rebound year. If we get stuck, it could be a dark decade ahead.

There is a good core of kids there, but really, every club every year has that to varying degrees.

The real question is are we ruthless enough to do it properly, and that is a facet that'd scare anyone seeing this club is nothing but complacent.

The key is cutting deep in our off-field this year.
Chapman, and not picking his chosen successor is a start, but the big two are Burton and Camporeale. They need to be jettisoned big time, as our rebuild hinges on it really.
I also think cutting our list deep at the end of this year could be helpful to a quick rebuild. The one benefit is the current SANFL group have played a lot of games together , which is always a benefit going forward.

Single captain in Sloane
Doedee to leadership group for promotion in 2021 as captain
Trade in 22-26 yr olds to fill that age hole

Its the off field cuts that will determine our path

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you on about? What have I avoided?

Port went hard and gave up a lot.

We’ve said we tried and couldn’t get up there. You laughingly suggested a few weeks back we should have offered two first rounders, if you think we didn’t do that you are nutty.

So given two first rounders weren’t enough to get it done, which quality players did you mention during last year’s trade period we should have given up?
You can trade this year's and next year picks and players

Stop coming up with BS

It's up to who ever identifies talent to say this kid can't be passed on and make it happen like ports recruiting manager did

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can trade this year's and next year picks and players

Stop coming up with BS

It's up to who ever identifies talent to say this kid can't be passed on and make it happen like ports recruiting manager did

Did I say you couldn’t do that? Why do you interpret stuff so wrong so often?

We offered 2 firsts, should we have offered 3 firsts? Or 2 firsts and players? So you didnt have an opinion on which players we should have offered up? Or you did but chose to keep it quiet?

Did I say you couldn’t do that? Why do you interpret stuff so wrong so often?

We offered 2 firsts, should we have offered 3 firsts? Or 2 firsts and players? So you didnt have an opinion on which players we should have offered up? Or you did but chose to keep it quiet?
Probably a top liner and a pick should we have swapped Carlton future pick for rozee all comes down to how the recruitment manager rated rozee ports rated him very highly

Probably a top liner and a pick should we have swapped Carlton future pick for rozee all comes down to how the recruitment manager rated rozee ports rated him very highly

The trade period was before the draft night, we didn’t have Carlton’s future first yet.

A top liner, you’ve gone out on a limb there. Give me the name of 3 top liners you were prepared to lose last year to get us a top 5 pick and it has to be one that the other teams would have accepted.

The trade period was before the draft night, we didn’t have Carlton’s future first yet.

A top liner, you’ve gone out on a limb there. Give me the name of 3 top liners you were prepared to lose last year to get us a top 5 pick and it has to be one that the other teams would have accepted.
Comes down to the recruitment manager and how he rated rozee we know how ports recruitment manager did

You’ve repeated that about 15 times, you don’t need to keep repeating it.

I’ve asked you which of our top liners you were prepared to trade and would get it done.
And I answered you

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and if you want me to pick someone now based on what rozee has done I'll name a couple if you like

And I answered you

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and if you want me to pick someone now based on what rozee has done I'll name a couple if you like

No you didn’t, you repeated the same line over and over.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, you seem to be using it a lot given I can’t recall you nominating players we should have traded last year, but go for it now, name me 2 players.

You’ve repeated that about 15 times, you don’t need to keep repeating it.

I’ve asked you which of our top liners you were prepared to trade and would get it done.
marty never never ever makes a pre-determined prediction. Ask him to make a ladder predictor and he waits until the end of the year to bag everyone that makes one

Ask to do a fun poll on the afc board and he bags anybody with any positivity

ask him to show you a post where he had Burton in his draft year and he never links it.

marty loves taking shots from the cheap seats where its easy to be captain hindsight

Just another anonymous internet flog that has no clue

By the end of the 1996 season McGuiness, McDermott, Anderson and Jarman were all 30+ and performing inconsistently. But we'd "backed 'em in". They were the leaders, the stalwarts.

The following blokes were drafted in 1994 and 1995, listed here with the games they had played by the end of 1996.
Tyson Edwards - 17 games
Kane Johnson - 5 games
Peter Vardy - 6 games

They were in and out of the team, and never given a real crack. No one really knew what they could bring.

Blight came in with a broom, got rid of the old servants who couldn't get it done anymore - a very unpopular thing at the time - and brought in the young kids for 1997. Goodwin was also debuted in Round 1, 1997. McLeod was also in and out of the team across 1995/6 and was never settled in a position, much like Milera. All five of them turned out to be absolute stars.

We currently are in an identical situation. I will leave it to you to work out who needs to be "broomed" out for Fogarty, Gallucci, Jones, Himmelberg and McHenry. Do I expect a flag? Of course not. Will all 5 be stars? Who knows. But they need strings of games to find out. Whether we get a new coach or stick with Don, the dead wood needs to but cut off. It's so blatantly clear.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back