Analysis Blow it up - when's the next premiership window and how do we get there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Our window was wide open in 2017 but look what happened in 2018
Agree, I thought we had another 2-3 years......I guess it will be in another 5-6 years time we will be premiership contenders again (like we have been doing since we enter the AFL).....and hopefully pinch one.

I was listening to a couple of Phil Walsh interviews today and heard him say a couple of times that they like to move the ball fast, however there were times when the opposition wouldn't let you do it. Thus, you needed to have another style you can play.

Seems in stark contrast to Pyke who seems to think just because we want to play a style, we can always play that way regardless of the opposition. This is the Neil Craig approach and totally disrespects the other great teams in the competition.

Who is our opposition analyst?

Look at this board now, and we're sitting in 8th.

Can you imagine if we finished bottom even once? o_O

To be fair its the worst 8th place in AFL history.
We have 25% or something stupid of our % from Gold Coast.

If we make the finals, the wallpaper will be over the cracks again.

To be fair its the worst 8th place in AFL history.
We have 25% or something stupid of our % from Gold Coast.

If we make the finals, the wallpaper will be over the cracks again.
No it won’t, because we’ll get embarrassed in any final we play.

Richmond at the G anyone?

Last edited:
Been a bit deflated with the way this season has gone and don't think it really matters if we play finals or not but listening to Roo and Ditz in the morning has been good. Heard Ditz say to Roo that you can't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results and Roo agreed. Hopefully at end of year a new plan emerges and we get quality back into the club both on and off the field.

Yep. Ridiculously easy draw. Have beaten noone of note away.

Don't be fooled, this is what the cliff looks like.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Always going to happen

We were clearly at our peak with the list building to 2017 the core group of players that got s there in Lynch Betts Tex Douglas Lynch Sloane Talia Otten have aged we didn't draft to replace this lot it should have been happening from 2013 so we can transition we didn't

we now need a massive restructure

No point in crying about it, it needs to be fixed

Just saw this on the AFL website. Scary at where the club is at.

Under-23 players: 15 players in total
Wayne Milera (56 games), Lachlan Murphy (29 games), Jordan Gallucci (27 games), Tom Doedee (21 games), Myles Poholke (11 games), Darcy Fogarty (10 games), Elliott Himmelberg (eight games), Chayce Jones (six games), Tyson Stengle (four games), Ben Davis (one game), Jordon Butts, Will Hamill, Ned McHenry, Andrew McPherson, Lachlan Sholl

Rising Star nominees: Two players
Wayne Milera (2017), Tom Doedee (2018)

No.1 star: Wayne Milera's most damaging performances have come across half-back, but he's been used through the midfield in recent weeks to add leg speed to the Crows' onball brigade.

Where's he's been bog average. * off Mackay and get him back to half back.

It will be interesting to see where the guys in our football dept end up once they are finally chased out of the AFC. I would say most, Reid-Burton-Roo-Hart-Campo-Clarke, will not get a significant job at another club.

Nope, they'll be leaving to "explore opportunities in different industries". Clarke might yet last though in his combi role.

Any good list manager or football development guru will always say 'pump some games into the juniors '

It does at times mean gifting some games to some but the benefit is you get to see which can and which cant

If this means you sacrifice a Douglas or Mackay then do so

Murphy on 29 is interesting. I personally don't think he will amount to much, I hope I am wrong

I thought Murphy was unlucky to get dropped last year, thought he looked pretty promising. But the more games he gets, the less enthused I am. I love his hustle, effort and intent, but he just doesn't do enough as far as I'm concerned. Wouldn't mind seeing him down back though. I'd drop Otto and Mackay and send Murphy and Milera down back. Talia, Harto and Kelly is enough in terms of dealing with the taller forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw this on the AFL website. Scary at where the club is at.

Under-23 players: 15 players in total
Wayne Milera (56 games), Lachlan Murphy (29 games), Jordan Gallucci (27 games), Tom Doedee (21 games), Myles Poholke (11 games), Darcy Fogarty (10 games), Elliott Himmelberg (eight games), Chayce Jones (six games), Tyson Stengle (four games), Ben Davis (one game), Jordon Butts, Will Hamill, Ned McHenry, Andrew McPherson, Lachlan Sholl

Rising Star nominees: Two players
Wayne Milera (2017), Tom Doedee (2018)

No.1 star: Wayne Milera's most damaging performances have come across half-back, but he's been used through the midfield in recent weeks to add leg speed to the Crows' onball brigade.
Another rubbish article. Apparently our U23s are worse than

Melbourne:
Clayton Oliver (78 games), Bayley Fritsch (41 games), Sam Weideman (31 games), Charlie Spargo (24 games), Corey Wagner (15 games), Harrison Petty (nine games), Oskar Baker (seven games), Kyle Dunkley (two games), Tom Sparrow (two games), Toby Bedford, Austin Bradtke, Kade Chandler, James Jordon, Aaron Nietschke

Hawthorn:
Blake Hardwick (62 games), Harry Morrison (31 games), James Worpel (29 games), James Cousins (18 games), Conor Glass (17 games), Conor Nash (15 games), Jack Scrimshaw (13 games), Mitch Lewis (12 games), Teia Miles (12 games), Dylan Moore (seven games), Ollie Hanrahan (five games), Will Golds, Damon Greaves, Changkuoth Jiath, Harrison Jones, Jacob Koschitzke, Ned Reeves, Jackson Ross, Mathew Walker

North:
Jy Simpkin (52 games), Cameron Zurhaar (24 games), Luke Davies-Uniacke (20 games), Tarryn Thomas (16 games), Nick Larkey (15 games), Ben McKay (four games), Tom Murphy (four games), Bailey Scott (four games), Will Walker (four games), Curtis Taylor (two games), Kyron Hayden (one game), Joel Crocker, Tom McKenzie, Red Og Murphy, Declan Watson, Tristan Xerri

I was listening to a couple of Phil Walsh interviews today and heard him say a couple of times that they like to move the ball fast, however there were times when the opposition wouldn't let you do it. Thus, you needed to have another style you can play.

Seems in stark contrast to Pyke who seems to think just because we want to play a style, we can always play that way regardless of the opposition. This is the Neil Craig approach and totally disrespects the other great teams in the competition.

Who is our opposition analyst?

From memory we had a reasonably good one that Woosha poached over to Essendon. I'd be surprised if we didn't just bank the savings.

Look at this board now, and we're sitting in 8th.

Can you imagine if we finished bottom even once? o_O

If we're putting the oldest team in the comp and finishing last, I think it would be reasonably hostile in here. Reality is that we're loading up the oldest side in the competition and, luckily due to Gold Coast, are the worst performing team over the last 5 weeks. If it looked like there was a shred of building towards a better future, I think you'll find most posters in here would be much less agitated.

It will be interesting to see where the guys in our football dept end up once they are finally chased out of the AFC. I would say most, Reid-Burton-Roo-Hart-Campo-Clarke, will not get a significant job at another club.
At least we don't have to worry about our team being poached.

I'd think only Reid would be poached out of that lot - maybe Campo purely for how long he's been in the industry.

Hart might be poached by 1333 - I don't think 5AA would have been unhappy that he was poached by the crows

At least we don't have to worry about our team being poached.

I'd think only Reid would be poached out of that lot - maybe Campo purely for how long he's been in the industry.

Hart might be poached by 1333 - I don't think 5AA would have been unhappy that he was poached by the crows

Why would anyone poach Reid. His list management and trading have been average at best.

Why would anyone poach Reid. His list management and trading have been average at best.

He doesn't rate the players, the coaches do that. Also, he doesn't choose who we go after, he just does the deal and fits the numbers into the spreadsheet to make sure we're not heading towards a cap blowout. He is the simply the sharp end of the list management committee. As an example, it wasn't Reid who decided that Lyons was only worthy of a fringe player contract, that's the coaching group. It's not Reid who decided that Thommo could hang around another year. It's not Reid that decides that Gibbs would be a good fit for our midfield, that's the coaches. He just gets told to get the deal done and he does his best to get it done as cheaply as possible. Just as he tries to extract maximum value when players leave.

He doesn't rate the players, the coaches do that. Also, he doesn't choose who we go after, he just does the deal and fits the numbers into the spreadsheet to make sure we're not heading towards a cap blowout. He is the simply the sharp end of the list management committee. As an example, it wasn't Reid who decided that Lyons was only worthy of a fringe player contract, that's the coaching group. It's not Reid who decided that Thommo could hang around another year. It's not Reid that decides that Gibbs would be a good fit for our midfield, that's the coaches. He just gets told to get the deal done and he does his best to get it done as cheaply as possible. Just as he tries to extract maximum value when players leave.

Seriously...He gets paid to do just that. Surely even Phil Harper could do that role.

Seriously...He gets paid to do just that. Surely even Phil Harper could do that role.

Nobody said that people that earn good money in AFL clubs are brain surgeons and doing commensurate work to the large majority of the workforce for the $$$. There's a list management committee. This group makes the decisions. What Reid brings that nobody did prior, was knowledge of what other clubs pay certain types of players. But when Pyke says that Lyons is fringe and Gibbs is a-grade and will be a very important component of our midfield, then Reid applies his expertise in terms of what's available in the cap and what he thinks is reasonable to offer the players. He'd get overruled as anybody would in a committee scenario, but thinking that he has sole or even final decision making powers on who comes, goes and gets what is completely absurd.

I disagree.
People will talk about the Gibbs deal and that's the one which is the most controversial. However, we paid more than we had to because we were going fro a 28yo who was the 'missing piece' for our mids coming off 2017. If we had a decent 2018 (bloody Burton!) then we'd be looking differently at it.
  • Charlie Cameron (who wanted to leave) for pick 12 - win. It's not Reid's choice who was picked or that he's not been picked to play
  • The Carlton pick swap this year - we will win that one
  • Leaver for 2 firsts and one coming back - win
  • McGovern for pick 13 and McAdam - win
  • JJ deal - probably a loss, but understandable after 2017
  • Betts deal - par. Give him an extra year and now we hope Eddie does this right thing by the club and retires at season's end
  • Signed up ROB recently - win
Let's see what we do with McKay, Douglas, Otten and Sauce at season's end.
:p A grade - none on the list next year
:) B grade - 1 on on the list
:huh: C grade - 2 on the list
:mad: D grade - 3 on the list
:sick: E grade - all 4 on the list - Sack Reid!

Nobody said that people that earn good money in AFL clubs are brain surgeons and doing commensurate work to the large majority of the workforce for the $$$. There's a list management committee. This group makes the decisions. What Reid brings that nobody did prior, was knowledge of what other clubs pay certain types of players. But when Pyke says that Lyons is fringe and Gibbs is a-grade and will be a very important component of our midfield, then Reid applies his expertise in terms of what's available in the cap and what he thinks is reasonable to offer the players. He'd get overruled as anybody would in a committee scenario, but thinking that he has sole or even final decision making powers on who comes, goes and gets what is completely absurd.

www.google.com

I disagree.
People will talk about the Gibbs deal and that's the one which is the most controversial. However, we paid more than we had to because we were going fro a 28yo who was the 'missing piece' for our mids coming off 2017. If we had a decent 2018 (bloody Burton!) then we'd be looking differently at it.
  • Charlie Cameron (who wanted to leave) for pick 12 - win. It's not Reid's choice who was picked or that he's not been picked to play
  • The Carlton pick swap this year - we will win that one
  • Leaver for 2 firsts and one coming back - win
  • McGovern for pick 13 and McAdam - win
  • JJ deal - probably a loss, but understandable after 2017
  • Betts deal - par. Give him an extra year and now we hope Eddie does this right thing by the club and retires at season's end
  • Signed up ROB recently - win
Let's see what we do with McKay, Douglas, Otten and Sauce at season's end.
:p A grade - none on the list next year
:) B grade - 1 on on the list
:huh: C grade - 2 on the list
:mad: D grade - 3 on the list
:sick: E grade - all 4 on the list - Sack Reid!

Good post. I'm not sure we will win the Carlton pick as I can't see us winning more than 1 of our last 4 which would mean we will finish 10th or 11th. Carlton could potentially finish 15th. That would be a win for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back