Analysis Blowtorch thread: what was the worst performance of the round?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much debate this round.

And a loss in the derby could make it back to back for WC.
Surely they won't, that would upgrade from a blowtorch to furnace level of heat.

We are lucky the Eagles saved us, but it wouldn't suprise if after this week against the Dogs we put in a torch worthy performance.

I still can't believe Adelaide and the sub debacle.
The sub is for injuries but in reality it is also part of strategy.
To play a tall injured guy as sub is incredibly unprofessional at best.
There should be an inquiry by the AFL on why Adelaide did not try and provide themselves the best opportunity to win the game.

There should be an inquiry by the AFL on why Adelaide did not try and provide themselves the best opportunity to win the game.

One of the weirder things to happen in the AFL era

It's bloody embarassing, as a fan and member to see us continually * up off field stuff is incredibly frustrating

Our performance wasnt the worst of the weekend, but I cant believe how much we are escaping scrutiny.
A top 4 / premiership contender (?) lost by 97 points to a recent struggling side. I think we get away with it because we lost by 6 goals but to the equal form team in the comp.

A top 4 / premiership contender (?) lost by 97 points to a recent struggling side. I think we get away with it because we lost by 6 goals but to the equal form team in the comp.
Heat will be on after we lose to the dogs though. Losing to the clear top 3 is a pretty decent knock and if we lose to the cats the week after, then its gonna be on

No love for Sydney? Gold Coast got belted by the Bulldogs the week before then the Swans don't even bother turning up against them.

Heat will be on after we lose to the dogs though. Losing to the clear top 3 is a pretty decent knock and if we lose to the cats the week after, then its gonna be on
Agreed. Dogs, Cats, Giants, Lions in the next month. Our season is on the line IMO in the next month.
All well and good to say we'll come good in finals, but we actually have to win enough to get there. We don't want to be 4-6 after round 10 needing to win 9 or 10 from the last 12 just to make the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda were terrible. Luckily they have Hawthorn next round, if they lose that and the season is over.

No love for Sydney? Gold Coast got belted by the Bulldogs the week before then the Swans don't even bother turning up against them.
6 outs including an entire spine - Rampe, McCartin, Hickey, Franklin, McDonald.

Then lose Hewett early and Heeney wasn't right either.

They should've done better but the Suns haven't been that bad before they copped the Dogs buzz saw. They were ready for a win and the Swans team was more like last years line up.

1. West Coast - no matter how many injuries you have if you still have the talent they do they can't lose by nearly 100. Not when you're up at quarter time anyway.

2. Adelaide - so they had a decent lead based mostly on super accurate kicking but they went in to the last quarter up by 13 points with a 4 goals breeze. If they halve the quarter they win by 6 goals. With the handicap of the wind they effectively lost the last quarter by about 6 goals.

And Hawthorn kicked 2 goals 6 as they struggled to negotiate goal kicking in to a stiff breeze (see H Morrison shot on goal) and still get the job done as the Crows hit the wall and manage only 2 points.

It was an insipid finish even without the sub drama.

3. Collingwood. Scoreboard flattered them. Dreadful dreadful field kicking. Terrible tackling. They couldn't stick a tackle on an Essendon player all game. Credit the bombers for a great performance too, they should've done the damage on the scoreboard and won by 6-7 goals easily.

Pretty depressing that we are so s**t we can not even win the most insipid performance of the week.

Sums up the season; injuries, quarantined and done with no lube each week.

God I hope it is -5 in Hobart, we are allowed to play in Hobart and Melbourne are unable to land due to fog and have to forfeit.

Agreed. Dogs, Cats, Giants, Lions in the next month. Our season is on the line IMO in the next month.
All well and good to say we'll come good in finals, but we actually have to win enough to get there. We don't want to be 4-6 after round 10 needing to win 9 or 10 from the last 12 just to make the 8.
You did similar in 2014 didn’t you? And your list at the time was garbage compared to how they’re perceived now. How many guys do you have left since then anyway? 10?

You did similar in 2014 didn’t you? And your list at the time was garbage compared to how they’re perceived now. How many guys do you have left since then anyway? 10?

It's an all or nothing plan though with zero margin for error. Mentally, we were absolutely shot in that year after coming back from 3-10 and playing 9 Elimination finals basically in a row. It took its toll and is not a recipe for another flag.

I think Richmond need to be 5-5 after 10 rounds at worst. Ideally we'd want to be 6-4 or 7-3 but that ain't happening with our opposition.

The Adelaide botch with Lynch is easily the worst. Dunstall was dead right highlighting it as unprofessional. That he was the sub while injured in the first place and then not ready to go secondly (which may have cost them the game) was pretty hopeless.

It's an all or nothing plan though with zero margin for error. Mentally, we were absolutely shot in that year after coming back from 3-10 and playing 9 Elimination finals basically in a row. It took its toll and is not a recipe for another flag.

I think Richmond need to be 5-5 after 10 rounds at worst. Ideally we'd want to be 6-4 or 7-3 but that ain't happening with our opposition.

If there's one thing I've learnt over the past 4 years is that this Richmond side stands up when it needs it most. Even if you go 5-5 or 4-6 I still think you'll be contenders. Look at 2019, 6-7 and outside of the 8 after round 14 then going on an absolute tear and winning it all.

And West Coast is in a much more dire situation than Richmond right now

If there's one thing I've learnt over the past 4 years is that this Richmond side stands up when it needs it most. Even if you go 5-5 or 4-6 I still think you'll be contenders. Look at 2019, 6-7 and outside of the 8 after round 14 then going on an absolute tear and winning it all.

And West Coast is in a much more dire situation than Richmond right now
actually we were 7-6, and in both 2019 and 2020 we were in positive win-loss from round 5 onwards, it was only poor percentage keeping us lower. Once we are 3-5 at round 8 we will be clear outside the 8 by games, which puts us well behind the 8 ball and we could only lose 1 (maybe 2) games for the remaining 14 rounds to finish top 4. In that 14 games we will play brisbane in brisbane, eagles in perth, geelong, and gws in sydney. We will lose more than 2 in that lot.

The next 2 games makes or breaks our season. Lose both and the season is over, we will have lost to the top 4 teams (3 at the g) and wouldn't deserve it anyway. Win 1 and be 4-4 after round 8 and theres a faint glimmer, though its still the worst place we've been since 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back