Blue Fans, Where are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

magoo2912

Debutant
Nov 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Before I start with my rant, I just want to make a few things clear, which you may agree or disagree:

I believe Patrick Cripps Should be Captain Now, not next year.
I believe Cripps is a better choice than Doc.
The Rebuild is going to take far longer than 66 games.
I'm not sure on Bolton.
I'm not yet sure on Stephen Silvagni's role as list manager, yet. While great at negotiation he keeps picking undersized Mids, and mature age players that have yet to prove there value. Just my opinion.

Anyway, Carlton football Club has 51860 members as I type this.

After just getting Rolled by Richmond in Round 1, there was only 28,000 at the Gold Coast (Home Game) game in round 2.
68,000 against Collingwood Round 3, I would bet at least 40,000 were Collingwood supporters.
28,000 vs West Coast Round 5
only 44,600 vs Essendon in Round 8
44,000 Vs Melbourne Yesterday

I understand that the team is not going great, we have had a lot of injury's, we lack depth and we have a lot of Kids in the team. But when Carlton needs your support the most, where are the diehard Fans, how can we ever expect Carlton to be a powerhouse if nobody is going to show up to the game.

Carlton needs every supporter they can get. There are a few other problems that the club is going to face in the short term, most of Carlton's revenue is Pokie Driven, the AFL is hell bent on removing all pokies from football clubs, this is why I believe Cain Liddle has been brought over from Richmond as he was able to help the tigers make a lot of revenue through Gyms. Where the blues will get there money from is anybody's guess.

Anyway, I have mentioned this issue in the past but I think it is even more relevant now and this is something that needs to be fixed by the club immediately. The Cheer Squad.
If you are a member of the cheer squad you get a reserved seat and guaranteed finals tickets should the blues make the finals. Now I'm not going to bag those who show up week in and week out, and make time to go down to the club to get the banner and other things sorted out, it is a thankless job. I'm going to call out those who don't show up, and don't put the time in. I'm calling out the empty seats I see at every single game. Yesterday I could see more than half the seats allocated to the cheer Squad were empty.

I thought I was looking at the Gold Coast or GWS Cheers squad, it was a horrible sight to see, Imagine how the players feel when they see the support the opposition is getting at the other end. North Melbourne are at the lower levels in terms of membership yet they can fill out 3 bays in there cheer squad, and they do everything big. Imagine how the players feel when they look up and see the pride and passion there supporters have, it just makes you want to try harder for the fans.

The club needs to make a complete overhaul to the cheer squad, 1st they need to eliminate the members who don't show up, they should be able to do this by looking at the memberships and being able to gather data of who goes to the game every week and who does not. They need to advertise to members and create youtube clips to get new members involved, send out an email to the members have a bbq on members nights, get the players to come and say hello. I'm sure they are doing some of those things already but they need to cut the dead wood (only in it for the finals tickets).

As a Carlton supporter I know what it feels like going to work and everybody even those who don't even like football bagging the s**t out of you because Carlton lost again. I seem to cop it every week, but if Carlton is to move forward you can't lose the faith. You need to show up to the game, even when we are losing, I love watching Cripps and Curnow and we have talent coming through, but this process is going to take a long time to change and it starts with the supporters.

I pick and choose the games I attend as performances all round have been poor and getting worse. I am a 20 year + member and as all things I want to enjoy my outing not being on the brink of going mad and being too down to have few drinks with my mates after the match. In fact when we watch the footy and we lose we just want to go home and not have a night out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I go every week, time permitting. I take my two young girls (5 and 7), and also two young boys my nephews ( 9 and 11), who have followed me with my passion for Carlton, even though their direct family are all pies supporters. I now need to carefully choose the games I bring them to, because I don't want to risk the passion they have for Carlton. I have faith in what direction we are travelling, but with every heavy loss we have, I can see there trust in my message fading.
We've struggled for a long time now and I couldn't blame anyone for taking a hiatus, and hopefully their passion for our great club will be reinvigorated before too long.

Live in far north queensland...not easy to make it regularly unfortunately considering the cost and distance.
Paid up member...and will be going to the gold coast game (for something different than Melbourne as I've never been to Metricon and am keen to check it out as well as make the most of the destination with my wife and boy for a bit of birthday fun) this year for my annual jaunt south for a game.
Also when I pin pointed this game (to attend) I was more confident of a possible win, not so much now but will still cheer them on and hope for a good effort.

I will say watching the games every week on TV I am often disappointed in the crowd size but I cant point the finger at anyone for that...can't really blame anyone for not wanting to front up due to poor form, weather...other commitments.
I know if I lived there I would front up as often as I can possibly do so.
Hell....growing up in Adelaide I would go to the footy every week with my family (Crows & Port supporters) despite me hating the Crows immensely just to go to watch as I love the game that much!

Go Blues!!

I am now an 18th year straight member, and I have Foxtel... so for me to go to a game I want to go when I know I'll enjoy the outing and not sitting in my chair either knowing by half time we've lost, or nervous and hoping we'll run out the game and scrape in a win. There's only so much you can support when it becomes extremely emotionally straining and upsetting when a team you're passionate about has delivered so little in return that last 16 years.

Once we're successful again we'll all come to view in droves but for now, can you blame us.

Watching on the Telstra app in Tasmania.

So desperate for footy watched the Roo's GWS game at Blundstone Antarctic Arena.

I unfortunately discovered I was seated behind the goals with the Sh**boners cheer squad. Fled to the hill and reminisced about last weeks game with my Bomber loving brother. Good times.

To be fair, I was not thinking about interstate members, but even so how much of the crowd are Carlton members. I'm sure there are many who are casual fans and supporters of other clubs in the crowd.

Nobody has mentioned what I wrote about the Cheer Squad, these are supposed to be the biggest diehards, and we can't even fill half a bay.

I can't believe anyone would buy a Carlton membership just for the finals tickets.
Have never done that myself.
I would have thought low crowds come with being a poorly performed team. We all just have to hang in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back