Blue Fans, Where are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to know why its so hard to get a Carlton chant going. Amd why they stop so quickly when they do get going?

Im usually the bloke that keeps going for a while after everyone else stops because I have headphones in and i cant hear them stop.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I go with my family (wife, two daughters aged 27 & 29) to nearly every game. We live rurally so not a small undertaking. Been interstate 7 times for 7 losses (now banned). Went to Hobart this year and walked out of the airport with Crippa. Told him about my interstate history and he seemed not pleased that I made the trip. Very pleasant to talk to though.

Anyway, I digress. I was wavering last year and told the kids I wasn’t going one week. Got a serve from my 27-year-old. Thought to myself, “So my daughter is teaching me about character.” I was proud of her but ashamed of myself. Haven’t missed a game since.

We keep saying how much more enjoyable our upcoming successful period is going to be having endured these difficult times.

I know that not everyone has the ability or the means to go to games every week, and no-one should judge others about their reasons for going or not going. I would say that if supporters can go, please make the effort as often as you can.

Don’t just go (for go read “go or watch”) when you think we have a chance to win. Go to watch the team develop. Go to be excited by Charlie, to be inspired by Crippa, to witness hope in Dow. Go to be part of the Carlton family. (Cue inspirational music, maybe theme from Rocky).

Oh and please, please, please go for Simmo's 300th in a few weeks. I know there’s some negativity about the old boy, but you can’t deny he has given as much as anyone ever for our club.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I go with my family (wife, two daughters aged 27 & 29) to nearly every game. We live rurally so not a small undertaking. Been interstate 7 times for 7 losses (now banned). Went to Hobart this year and walked out of the airport with Crippa. Told him about my interstate history and he seemed not pleased that I made the trip. Very pleasant to talk to though.

Anyway, I digress. I was wavering last year and told the kids I wasn’t going one week. Got a serve from my 27-year-old. Thought to myself, “So my daughter is teaching me about character.” I was proud of her but ashamed of myself. Haven’t missed a game since.

We keep saying how much more enjoyable our upcoming successful period is going to be having endured these difficult times.

I know that not everyone has the ability or the means to go to games every week, and no-one should judge others about their reasons for going or not going. I would say that if supporters can go, please make the effort as often as you can.

Don’t just go (for go read “go or watch”) when you think we have a chance to win. Go to watch the team develop. Go to be excited by Charlie, to be inspired by Crippa, to witness hope in Dow. Go to be part of the Carlton family. (Cue inspirational music, maybe theme from Rocky).

Oh and please, please, please go for Simmo's 300th in a few weeks. I know there’s some negativity about the old boy, but you can’t deny he has given as much as anyone ever for our club.

Great post.

This is perspective right here.

Update:

In bed, having a frothie watching the Round 20 1992 Carlton v Sydney game on Youtube (Has learned that Luke O'Sullivan was actually gaining a lot of momentum and looked truly like a 100 plus game player before he did his knee in early 93. Had all the tools.) Particular channel is magnificent for historical Carlton games and I believe has every win from 2000-2017 on there.

Western suburbs of Melbourne boy, grew up a member of the club. Cousin played in the '87 premiership. I believe he should have played in '93 as I think he would have taken out two players the second they took out Mil.

I moved to the US in my 20's. I listened to every game I could live via Internet radio (same radio broadcast as home) and watched whatever televised games I could. Got as many newspapers, etc. delivered as possible to keep up on popular opinion. Had an olllllllllllld BigFooty account from the early days that I can neither remember the username nor the e-mail address subscribed.

Moved back late 2000's. Too late to become a member year one. Signed up as Captains Club the following year. Attended every VIC game from the time I got back until the day I moved to Queensland with the ex. She's a chronic asthmatic and every time we came up here for holidays her health showed marked and immediate improvement. Her company offered her a transfer. She took it. We'd been together several years and marriage, at that time, was looking inevitable so I moved north with her.

The dynamic changed. We lasted 18-months up here. Went to the Blues games that they played up here. I will go to the Gold Coast and Brisbane games up here this year. No longer a Captains Club member. Too expensive for having an inability to attend games.

In many ways I feel like my life has mirrored the Carlton Football Club. Not a perfect childhood but pretty bloody good. Greatest ever memories were created by doing everything possible back in '95 GF week related with Mum including attending the grand final (training, family day, parade, game, evening at Princes Park post GF, etc.). Then s**t hit the fan. My father figure died two weeks after the granny. Lost my first girlfriend, three sports teammates and my coach in a car crash the following year. Dad died in mid '98. Mum took ill less than 2 months later and I gave her 24/7 care until she died in January of '02. She carried with her the fact that Carlton never won a wooden spoon in her lifetime to the grave. And although I've had some positive experiences and done some incredible things that 99% of Aussies would only dream of there's been way more bad than good since.

I'm genuinely considering making the move back down to Melbourne. I know that if I do, I'll support the club in every possible way. If there was anything that I could do to dedicate my life to the club then I'd do it. But I don't know anyone at the club these days. But I'd like to do more than admire them from afar. In some ways I feel its my calling. Mum's family were all die hard Carlton fans. Now it's my turn.

Apologies for the deepness. Writing this got me thinking, reminiscing, feeling, midway through. I miss my family and I miss our success. Carlton's in my blood.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back