Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 23rd April …

Four Blues facing tests​

Player

Injury

Update

Dom AkueiConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.
Availability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Matt CarrollGroinContinuing on his modified program.
Return to play will be further assessed in Round 7. (Update: 26 March)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 23 April)
David CuninghamCalfAiming to be test to play next week. (Update: 23 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankConcussionProgressing through recovery.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 9. (Update: 16 April)
Jack MartinHamstringLow-grade hamstring last week. Will enter a conditioning block.
Availability: 5-6 weeks. (Update: 3 April)
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 23 April)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsAchilles sorenessReceived a knock to Achilles on Saturday and was subbed out of the game.
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Billy WilsonConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.

New Year new thread:

Latest Injury Update 12th Jan

High grade calf strain per the club and will be sidelined for an "extended period". Injury will be reassessed "in the coming weeks to determine return to play timelines". Sounds worse here

😢

CARLTON co-vice captain and key defender Jacob Weitering is expected to be sidelined for an extended period with a calf injury.

The injury occurred during today’s main training session, with scans confirming a high-grade calf strain.
The injury will be reviewed in the coming weeks to determine return to play timelines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least his position relies less on running capacity so the interrupted preseason might not hurt him as much, assuming the 6-8 week timeframe is correct. The club didn't report that. If it's 12 weeks or something its a much bigger problem.

Very random injury given he's never had any soft tissue injuries and high grade calf tears would be just about the rarest. You get 1-2 a year across the comp tops.

Young is more than capable as the sole key defender in the side.

Suggestions he is incapable of playing as a lockdown key defender are imo quite laughable. He doesn't play when Weitering is in the side for offensive balance and an inability to play loose but when tasked with locking down the oppo's best KPF he's more than fine depth.

Would have thought Lewy was a faster runner than Big Durds, just a slow decision maker and moving the ball on.
He looked the bomb when Weiters went down last time. Could Lemmy do it?
Young is an extremely good endurance runner. Wouldn't pretend to know how they go in repeat sprints and change of direction but both are capable depth, as long as Weitering is fit and healthy during the season I don't think we'll miss him an awful lot if its just for a few games,

Disagree. Young not up to it. Way too slow and poor on the ground. If Durdin stays fit he’s the best option
Depends if you are looking 2022 vs 2023, he was excellent in his 1st season, also bear in mind Weitering missed 6 weeks with his shoulder in 22 & Young elevated himself in this period.
l would say they are line ball, would come down to pre season form, slight preference for Young .

Last edited:
Young is an extremely good endurance runner. Wouldn't pretend to know how they go in repeat sprints and change of direction but both are capable depth, as long as Weitering is fit and healthy during the season I don't think we'll miss him an awful lot if its just for a few games,
Silver lining is that for the first two games, we have a vacancy. Youngy and Nigel have a pre season full of the incentive to prove themselves. Lewy was more than adequate in ‘22 and with eight weeks to gel with the starting defence. However, big Durds probably has an equal chance of securing the spot as a very reliable custodian.

We get to see the pecking order and at very least, assess the effectiveness of our next men up. Our recruitment team get some insight in to the “state of the nation”. I have faith in both if and when they are called upon.

I tore my calf earlier this year (have a history of calf injuries, too - the physio has joked my calves are paying off her mortgage).

Given a 3 month window of recovery from the physio - I did none of the rehab work, didn’t run for 6 or so weeks, took it easy on a few light return jogs/gym sessions for a month and was back to my poor-baseline about 12 weeks later. For reference, I’m in my mid-thirties, a few kg too heavy and my body is wrecked from footy/Crossfit.

A professional like Weiters will be fine sooner rather than later, even if he misses a game or two.

We don’t rely on Weitering’s soeed. We rely on his smarts, excellent decision making and his command of the defence. The last thing we need is a deer in the headlights to take his place. So unless Young has matured in his composure and decision making, I’m taking Durds ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back