Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 23rd April …

Four Blues facing tests​

Player

Injury

Update

Dom AkueiConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.
Availability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Matt CarrollGroinContinuing on his modified program.
Return to play will be further assessed in Round 7. (Update: 26 March)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: one week. (Update: 23 April)
David CuninghamCalfAiming to be test to play next week. (Update: 23 April)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Lachie FogartyWristCommenced running program.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 11. (Update: 16 April)
Caleb MarchbankConcussionProgressing through recovery.
Return to play to be assessed in Round 9. (Update: 16 April)
Jack MartinHamstringLow-grade hamstring last week. Will enter a conditioning block.
Availability: 5-6 weeks. (Update: 3 April)
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 23 April)
Jesse MotlopHamstringSuffered a further hamstring injury in recent days.
Availability: 4-5 weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Adam SaadHamstringMedium-grade hamstring strain.
Availability: six weeks. (Update: 16 April)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Zac WilliamsAchilles sorenessReceived a knock to Achilles on Saturday and was subbed out of the game.
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 23 April)
Billy WilsonConcussionProgressing through concussion protocols.

Data shows that we're doing more repeat sprints and more intense running in game than other teams we've played this year.
So we're playing and training for a style of game that's more likely to create a greater risk of soft tissue leg injuries.
That's just basic logic.
What is this data you speak of NYCFC?

How much more than other teams are we actually doing, is it significantly that much greater?

1. We have a long injury list. We've spent 20 years blaming injury for our performance when really, everyone has injuries and that was never the case, we just were never really that good. Now we are.

2. We are still winning games and we are 4th (equal second) on the AFL ladder. Have a look at the weekend's 23, it looks pretty good, it's just that we can see it looking better.

3. Most of the players on that injury list aren't due to be out too long. 4 are tests, they don't count. 7 out of 10 should be back playing in the next month and we should keep winning.

4. We need to stop going on about the midseason draft. It's not as simple and easy as just going and picking a good player. The players in the midseason draft are rarely good players. Even rarer are they good enough to get a game in a top side like us. Even rarer are there going to be a good player by the time we get a pick. Not optimistic about the midseason draft bearing any fruit. We have a great list, we just need to get some of these injured guys through it and get them fit.

There is no need for us to panic here, we are still fielding a good side and winning games.

Tests
Akuei, Weitering, Williams, Wilson.
Take them off the list they will play.

1 Week
Cerra - He will be back next week. Walsh killing it. Cripps going up in form. Kennedy stepped into the middle more, Hollands going in there a little. We are covering him, he's a great player and has to come in but there will be serious debate about who goes out.

Cuningham - He's back but I doubt he walks straight in. Hollands and Cottrell are holding up the HFF really well. Will be interesting to see what Voss does here.

1-2
McGovern - Kemp is killing it in his role. We are missing him but we are covering him well. It's a short term one, he will be fine.

2-3
Jack Martin - is having a bad start to the season but I bet the whips are cracking and he will come back fit. Season is still young, just need to get a good second half out of him, not even actually.

2-4
Marchbank - He's not out forever, got smashed in a contest hardly a sign of being injury prone. So far we have covered well for him at CHB.

3-4
Motlop - This one has really blown out of proportion. Was having a good preseason until this happened. Not sure how he will come back being a player who really needed to improve their tanks and second and third efforts. I am feeling that he could have a riteoff season or be a late bloomer. Either way we have a long list of small forwards and we aren't short in this area.

5 Weeks and 4-6
Saad - This one really hurts but we are going ok without him. We are fortunate that we have a mobile and running defence and some good smaller defenders stepping up. But he has left a hole. A couple of young players like Cowan and Wilson will get a look in I feel and that could be good.

Fogarty - He was having a good season and had made it into most people's best 22. However in his absence players have stepped up. The last few weeks Durdin has been really good and has looked like a version of Fogarty with added goal kicking. We will win games without him and if he is good enough will be back when it counts. If not, it's because players like Durdin have gone past him.

Season
Docherty - Sucks
Silvagni - Sucks

Good write up and don't disagree.

However, a 'good' or 'bad' injury run in a season CAN be the difference between a deep September run and even winning a premiership, or getting knocked out during the finals. We're doing an amazing job covering for the number of injuries we have and it is a testament to our depth and system, but I am someone who just wants to see our team FINALLY get a proper go with few injuries and see how far we can really go. It is frustrating that we keep getting so many injuries every year.

On the part around debate of who goes out for Cerra and Cunners I think it's actually pretty easy - Carroll and Fantasia. that is 2 like-for-like changes and clear upgrades.

Good write up and don't disagree.

However, a 'good' or 'bad' injury run in a season CAN be the difference between a deep September run and even winning a premiership, or getting knocked out during the finals. We're doing an amazing job covering for the number of injuries we have and it is a testament to our depth and system, but I am someone who just wants to see our team FINALLY get a proper go with few injuries and see how far we can really go. It is frustrating that we keep getting so many injuries every year.

On the part around debate of who goes out for Cerra and Cunners I think it's actually pretty easy - Carroll and Fantasia. that is 2 like-for-like changes and clear upgrades.
Having injuries and winning games mid season is realistic and that's ok, as long as we are winning. Having this level of injuries and winning all the way through finals is not realistic. Need a level of luck to win a flag, lets hope we time this right.

Carroll was sub so not sure that works.

I would rather a fit Carlton team for the back half of the season and finals. We are quite clearly managing a few of our injured players for this very reason, if we can get through the first half of this season and keep winning with the injuries we have to come out of the other side of the bye with minimal injuries and a stocked list then I would must rather that. Our injuries list right now is not ideal but fit and healthy players for finals given the niggles the rest of the team will have by then will allow for a fresh run at it.

What is this data you speak of NYCFC?

How much more than other teams are we actually doing, is it significantly that much greater?

Arrow posted this in another thread:

'Our numbers for endurance and sprints have been strong in every game, in fact, we have outperformed the opposition in the 4 metrics most times

Distance travelled, at high speed, sprints and repeat sprints'

Haven't seen the data myself, but I trust his info.

Arrow posted this in another thread:

'Our numbers for endurance and sprints have been strong in every game, in fact, we have outperformed the opposition in the 4 metrics most times

Distance travelled, at high speed, sprints and repeat sprints'

Haven't seen the data myself, but I trust his info.
You can get those stats on the afl match section under 'tracker'.

I would rather a fit Carlton team for the back half of the season and finals. We are quite clearly managing a few of our injured players for this very reason, if we can get through the first half of this season and keep winning with the injuries we have to come out of the other side of the bye with minimal injuries and a stocked list then I would must rather that. Our injuries list right now is not ideal but fit and healthy players for finals given the niggles the rest of the team will have by then will allow for a fresh run at it.
TBH - I'm not sure how we have managed so far, with 12 of our 15 on that list are best 22, and it's only round 7 :oops:

TBH - I'm not sure how we have managed so far, with 12 of our 15 on that list are best 22, and it's only round 7 :oops:
BT I would be struggling to drop 12 players from our current team to make way for all those 12 on the injured list, so not sure they’re all best 22.

Of the 12 on the injured list there are 6 important/key players - Weiters, Saad, Cerra, McGovern, Williams and Fogarty which would come in.

The other 6 Cuners, Mots, Marchbank, Martin, Doc and JSOS are good players but our depth has easily covered these players imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cunners trained yesterday going by the CFC instagram video. Should be back next week.

Cunners, Cerra and Gov back for the filthy ones would be, well…. filthy.

lol to the injury list. Absolute lol. I’d love to understand the club rational for keeping Russell. We won’t ever know though. Cue the Russell defenders. You’ve all been repeatedly proven wrong. No I won’t respond to your debate narrowing builshit that has wrecked this site. You know who I’m talking to.

I will repeat what I’ve said for a number of years: how could we do WORSE with someone else?

Ponder. No rational answer possible. All the best.
He was brought in from Hawthorn as "the man" when it comes to high performance/strength and conditioning but the total number of injuries every year he has been with us has been higher than many other clubs. It’s a liability. He survived the review of football operations, so they have backed him in. I'd love to know how, I really would.

All clubs have injuries, and no-one can blame him for dumb luck with ACL's, shoulders etc but the soft tissue stuff, calf and hamstring etc is diabolical. Another issue is blokes taking a huge amount of time to come back from things that are reported as being relatively minor.

Look at Motlop, a sprained toe, turns into a minor hammy then a more serious hammy, all while being injured?
Would anyone be surprised if McGovern turns a 1-2 week minor hammy into 6-8 weeks or worse?
How does being a "late out' with hamstring tightness turn Cerra into a 3 week injury at best?
Is Cunner's really going to be back in one or two or potentially going to miss half a season with setbacks a conditioning block then some other yet to materialise hurdle.?

I don't know the bloke and I'm sure he is trying but at what point do you look at the numbers and just say; thanks, it hasn’t worked, best we try a new approach.

There’s probably not much to be gained from bashing Russell but I agree it is a failure and share your frustration. I just hope it doesn’t cost us as we strive for the ultimate success.

Another issue is blokes taking a huge amount of time to come back from things that are reported as being relatively minor.

Look at Motlop, a sprained toe, turns into a minor hammy then a more serious hammy, all while being injured?
Would anyone be surprised if McGovern turns a 1-2 week minor hammy into 6-8 weeks or worse?
How does being a "late out' with hamstring tightness turn Cerra into a 3 week injury at best?
Is Cunner's really going to be back in one or two or potentially going to miss half a season with setbacks a conditioning block then some other yet to materialise hurdle.?
That's an easy answer. We're being conservative with those injuries, and getting players right.
In the past when we were more desperate, players would be rushed back.
Now we're winning, we're not desperate.

The season is a marathon, not a sprint. It's about peaking in September.

He was brought in from Hawthorn as "the man" when it comes to high performance/strength and conditioning but the total number of injuries every year he has been with us has been higher than many other clubs. It’s a liability. He survived the review of football operations, so they have backed him in. I'd love to know how, I really would.

All clubs have injuries, and no-one can blame him for dumb luck with ACL's, shoulders etc but the soft tissue stuff, calf and hamstring etc is diabolical. Another issue is blokes taking a huge amount of time to come back from things that are reported as being relatively minor.

I don't know the bloke and I'm sure he is trying but at what point do you look at the numbers and just say; thanks, it hasn’t worked, best we try a new approach.

There’s probably not much to be gained from bashing Russell but I agree it is a failure and share your frustration. I just hope it doesn’t cost us as we strive for the ultimate success.
Much of the argument seems to be predicated on players with questionable preparation being underprepared/taking longer to get to the appropriate levels of fitness.
He was brought across from Hawthorn on good money, his department has been reviewed & will no doubt continue to be as part of ensuring best practice - the club does appear to be doing their due diligence.
If he were underperforming, I'm positive the club would have moved him on & invested the money elsewhere. (Mindful of the soft-cap)

That's an easy answer. We're being conservative with those injuries, and getting players right.
In the past when we were more desperate, players would be rushed back.
Now we're winning, we're not desperate.

The season is a marathon, not a sprint. It's about peaking in September.
This is a huge improvement in recent years.

Guys are coming back from injuries fit and firing, immediately playing at a high level like Walsh.

Still remember the Bolton days where we clearly rushed guys back and they'd always play poorly and often get re-injured...something about the guys 'learning to endure' through the pain of injuries and play anyway.

I'm in my 40s, am shorter than Caleb Daniel and I have dodgy knees.

Right now I'd be a clear in for Fantasia... :p

LOL we are now citing a massive improvement as “we are allowing our players much longer to come back from injury”

Cool.

I would myself call a massive improvement……

Reducing the ******* injury list. That would be good.

LOL we are now citing a massive improvement as “we are allowing our players much longer to come back from injury”

Cool.

I would myself call a massive improvement……

Reducing the ******* injury list. That would be good.

Yeah, we could get the coaches and fitness staff to tell all the players, especially those that are trying to establish themselves permanently in the 23 to not try quite as hard.

You know the old “don’t push yourself too much” and “go easy it’s only training” and the classic one “pick and choose when to go hard”.

Seriously Windows have you ever spent anytime in a competitive sporting environment? Injuries are a part of the landscape.

It is frustrating to have a long injury list but your posts suggest the club is run by a bunch of idiots with no idea about sport science, injury management and high performance.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back