Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly a reason for JOM to join (or their Dr) but they seem to have rebuilt Scully reasonably well from his supposed ruin pretty well in his absence.

People working beneath Russell would have gained a wealth of knowledge and understanding of how to approach player management. That will stay with them and be passed on as new employees enter their organisation.

What we're doing now is gaining that knowledge and applying it to our own system.

We're so fortunate to have him onboard.

I have confidence that his rehab is progressing really well and he's approaching it with professionalism.

SOS drafts U18's with really strong character, resilience and determination.

Pickett has dealt with a lot of adversity with his constant string of injuries.

He's a highly talented player and the club knows it.

Watch Russell work wonders with Pickett and we'll see the best of his ability.

surely if he is to make it it must come from inside, regardless of the quality support he gets.........

Some people are internally motivated and respond best when given general direction.

Others need to have their arse kicked regularly for the message to get through.

Last edited:
On the weekend I noticed a big drop in the amount of tape on players. I noticed it by accident really. I saw a scar of SOJs shoulder and thought "must've been a surgery", then remembered that he used to always wear tape on both shoulders so I never noticed the scar before (I have in pics from training etc, but never in game). I started to pay attention after that, Weitering isn't wearing shoulder tape anymore, Murphy isn't, and so on.

I can only guess; I'd say fair bit to do with Russel. I wonder if it's a change because the players are feeling better, not as sore from old injuries due to a new approach or regime, or that he's realised that none of them really needed the tape anymore and they wore it out of old habits/medical opinions, so put a stop to it.

Either way it is a positive change

On the weekend I noticed a big drop in the amount of tape on players. I noticed it by accident really. I saw a scar of SOJs shoulder and thought "must've been a surgery", then remembered that he used to always wear tape on both shoulders so I never noticed the scar before (I have in pics from training etc, but never in game). I started to pay attention after that, Weitering isn't wearing shoulder tape anymore, Murphy isn't, and so on.

I can only guess; I'd say fair bit to do with Russel. I wonder if it's a change because the players are feeling better, not as sore from old injuries due to a new approach or regime, or that he's realised that none of them really needed the tape anymore and they wore it out of old habits/medical opinions, so put a stop to it.

I like it too. Samo is basically covered in tape at the moment, though, which is a bit annoying. But if he plays like that, I don't care if he is wrapped like a mummy.

I like it too. Samo is basically covered in tape at the moment, though, which is a bit annoying. But if he plays like that, I don't care if he is wrapped like a mummy.
His Elbow was taped last yr iirc, has he had an injury threre? Must have I suppose, but I can't remember there being a major one that would still need to be managed.

I notice Cripps also still has his leg taped up, is that 3 yrs in a row now? Why's that still being done? Worries me that it might be an ongoing/degenerative type issue.

His Elbow was taped last yr iirc, has he had an injury threre? Must have I suppose, but I can't remember there being a major one that would still need to be managed.

I notice Cripps also still has his leg taped up, is that 3 yrs in a row now? Why's that still being done? Worries me that it might be an ongoing/degenerative type issue.

No idea re Samo's elbow injury, not something that has been documented as far as I'm aware.
Cripps' sore knee has been around for a while, yeah. Also not sure what the story is.

No idea re Samo's elbow injury, not something that has been documented as far as I'm aware.
Cripps' sore knee has been around for a while, yeah. Also not sure what the story is.

Cripps doesn't train with any strapping though I've noticed so maybe it is a precaution thing rather than an actual injury??

Russell's update is out.

C. Curnow: test to play this week, bone bruising after knock to knee at training.

Williamson: 94 minutes played, looked strong + powerful, conditioning/touch issue as to whether he is available to play AFL, sounds like another week in the VFL to me, but you never know!.

Macreadie: 93 minutes played, in selection mix for AFL, sounds more advanced than Willo.

Cuningham: has been cleared, trained fully last week and will train fully this week and available for selection!

LeBois: he's alive! Conditioning phase after a hamstring issue in pre-season, 2-3 more weeks of solid training until available.

Russell expressed things just the way they played out -

Williamson did look strong and played the whole game out.
Macreadie was good and important in the least half in particular and also played the game out
If Cuningham is good to go, then why not?
Le Bois: More hamstring issues, after busting one open late last year. Wouldn't want it to be ongoing, for his sake.
Was worried about Kennedy, but he seems to be OK after the knock he took, given he did get back onto the ground at the end of the game on Saturday.

No need to mention Docherty, Pickett or TDL this week. Great report by Russell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For most players tape is ritual, they just do it. Most injuries you can get back to the point where you don't need tape for its protective aspect. However, shoulder dislocations is one where players can typically wear tape throughout a career if they've had one.

Approx 90% of shoulder dislocations are anterior and about 90% of those cause a bony defect called a hill Sachs lesion. The presence of that lesion is a huge indicator for re-dislocations.

Sounded like it was the one late last year, and it stuffed up his pre-season

I was literally no more than 8 metres away when his hamstring gave way last year and the look on his face immediately suggested that it 'shocked' him.
Poor guy was in agony and one could have fairly surmised that he wouldn't have come back for the rest of the year.

I guess, it's just a pity he's suffered more hamstring issues as ongoing soft-issue problems are real problems.

Russell expressed things just the way they played out -

Williamson did look strong and played the whole game out.
Macreadie was good and important in the least half in particular and also played the game out
If Cuningham is good to go, then why not?
Le Bois: More hamstring issues, after busting one open late last year. Wouldn't want it to be ongoing, for his sake.
Was worried about Kennedy, but he seems to be OK after the knock he took, given he did get back onto the ground at the end of the game on Saturday.

No need to mention Docherty, Pickett or TDL this week. Great report by Russell.

Yeah, liked the add-on at the end, bit of an explanation on the state of play with injured & the programs in place.

For most players tape is ritual, they just do it. Most injuries you can get back to the point where you don't need tape for its protective aspect. However, shoulder dislocations is one where players can typically wear tape throughout a career if they've had one.

Approx 90% of shoulder dislocations are anterior and about 90% of those cause a bony defect called a hill Sachs lesion. The presence of that lesion is a huge indicator for re-dislocations.
That fits my conclusions pretty well. Either they don't need it anymore and it's more a habit thing, or they were basing the need on old opinions/maybe not-so-sound medical advice.

Or perhaps with new treatments/management the injured area has greatly improved.

That could be a false assumption, though. Say what you will about Kennedy, he is one tough mfer and will play through pain like not many others can.

That fits my conclusions pretty well. Either they don't need it anymore and it's more a habit thing, or they were basing the need on old opinions/maybe not-so-sound medical advice.

Or perhaps with new treatments/management the injured area has greatly improved.
And if a players wants to be taped you tape them. You can advise them that it's probably not required but it usually comes down to habit/comfortability/players faith in their own body.

And if a players wants to be taped you tape them. You can advise them that it's probably not required but it usually comes down to habit/comfortability/players faith in their own body.
I think the confidence in our medical staff over the last, say, 3 or so years would have been at an all time low. The amount of re-injury and playing clearly unfit was unbelievable. When someone like Russel says it's right it probably fills you with a different type of confidence than the guys over the last few years.

Surely it's no coincidence that guys that have worn tape forever suddenly stop with the arrival of one bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back