That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Okay, so I've had time to digest all the information we have received today:

Fasolo named and healthy to play this week is fantastic.

Kreuzer not named is in line with IronMan29 saying that he was unlikely for this week. Might still be available for round 1 but it would be a risk after not playing any footy since halfway through last season. Russell would have to be reaaaaaaally satisfied with Kreuzer's block of training for him to be straight in, I suspect one of the back-ups will play round 1.

Kennedy shoulder injury appears to be much more minor than initially anticipated. This is great news, still means he'll probably have to make his way back into the AFL side through the VFL with others ahead of him both fitness and form wise.

And most importantly, Williamson was back on the track on Wednesday (yesterday as of writing this) and hopes to be back in full training with the main group next week. This is phenomenal news.

Splendid.

Everyone is now training bar Docherty and Pickett.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Kreuzer not named is in line with IronMan29 saying that he was unlikely for this week. Might still be available for round 1 but it would be a risk after not playing any footy since halfway through last season. Russell would have to be reaaaaaaally satisfied with Kreuzer's block of training for him to be straight in, I suspect one of the back-ups will play round 1.

Kennedy shoulder injury appears to be much more minor than initially anticipated. This is great news, still means he'll probably have to make his way back into the AFL side through the VFL with others ahead of him both fitness and form wise.

And most importantly, Williamson was back on the track on Wednesday (yesterday as of writing this) and hopes to be back in full training with the main group next week. This is phenomenal news.

Splendid.

Amazing news.

Our injury situation is actually really good in terms of the numbers that are training.

Just so sour to have a top 3 player and co-captain in Doc gone for the season, and Pickett again not being able to realise his potential with a pretty long term injury...at this stage i'm picturing our 2020 and beyond team without them in it.

Amazing news.

Our injury situation is actually really good in terms of the numbers that are training.

Just so sour to have a top 3 player and co-captain in Doc gone for the season, and Pickett again not being able to realise his potential with a pretty long term injury...at this stage i'm picturing our 2020 and beyond team without them in it.

wut?

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Amazing news.

I was like that too once, but this optimism drug that Russell provides is something else.

Nothing a solid block of training can't fix.

Gangrenous toes from poorly controlled diabetes? Solid 4-6 week block on the track ought to do the trick.

I was like that too once, but this optimism drug that Russell provides is something else.

Nothing a solid block of training can't fix.

Gangrenous toes from poorly controlled diabetes? Solid 4-6 week block on the track ought to do the trick.
Does Russell do home visits? Not sure I can make it to Melbourne, wouldn’t mind being fit for once ... just to see what it is like.

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Does Russell do home visits? Not sure I can make it to Melbourne, wouldn’t mind being fit for once ... just to see what it is like.
Come on Jb73, with the magnificent golf courses you have up your way, together with the warmer weather than we southerners cop, I'm sure your up and running!!!
If not, we'll have to send Jacky Russell up your way to straighten you out ;)

Brezsa

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I’ve got to start reading this thread from the end and going backwards, had a mini melt down on Kennedy when 6 weeks was floated, I’m a huge fan & honestly think what he will bring fit is underestimated here, it’s a small block, but last year before he hurt the ankle round 1 against Richmond & we kicked the first 5 goals, he was pivotal for that. Then he carried it all year and never got it back, I 100% feel he will, and with this set back may start in the VFL but by round 12 he will be all guns blazing and we will be here (well hopefully not here, as this thread hopefully disappears for 12 months) singing his praises

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Splendid.

The article said Williamson had rejoined the main group, to which I'd imagine refers to the beginning of participation in contact drills.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Back to back ACLs in the same knee you have to assume that Docherty is no better than 50/50 to ever play again.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
There isn't a game for the Northern Blues until April 14 which is about 5 weeks away and is round two as we start with a bye. You would think if there are no injuries between then and now that everyone will be available by then apart from Docherty and Pickett.

The annoying thing is this date is also our round 4 game against the Gold Coast which would have been an ideal game to bring some of these guys in. Won't be able to have a practice game the week before either as it's VFL round 1.

Hopefully we can get some practice games into these guys before hand. Such an annoying fixture for these returning players if you ask me, would be ideal to get a game or two into these guys to get a look at their form and have the option of picking them for the Gold Coast game which would be an ideal way of bringing these guys back into the team.

inyourcool

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Oak Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory 'til I die!
There isn't a game for the Northern Blues until April 14 which is about 5 weeks away and is round two as we start with a bye.

I know this is for another thread but that is simply not good enough. Our reserves having a month off at the start of the season is a poor outcome.

We need to be playing and continually developing our young list and that needs to happen with game time. If these alignments are to work the schedule needs to reflect the AFL

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I know this is for another thread but that is simply not good enough. Our reserves having a month off at the start of the season is a poor outcome.

We need to be playing and continually developing our young list and that needs to happen with game time. If these alignments are to work the schedule needs to reflect the AFL

Absolutely. We have four players returning from injury who need to play games before returning. Our AFL side has a month of footy before our reserves sides takes the field. If the fixtures lined up Macreadie, Williamson, Marchbank and Kreuzer would probably get the required 1-3 games in the before returning. How much will this delay a possible return to footy is my question?

I'm sure we will schedule practice matches but really the VFL is doing a very poor job of supporting the AFL. It's very awkward when it comes to players returning in the first month of the season and we have a few.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Splendid.

On Kreuz, I'd be happy for him to miss round 1 and take an extra week if he needs it. Nankervis isn't one of the ruckmen that can seriously punish you (unlike a fit Gawn, Grundy, Naitanui, Goldstein, Mumford/Sandi a couple of years back, etc), so I'm content with one of Phillips or Lobbe rucking. No point in rushing The Tractor back if he's not quite ready.

Back