Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

A Very promising injury report. Starting to sound like that clutch of injured players could start to appear around round 2-4 if things go well. I reckon Marchbank will come back really strongly.

Marchbank makes a huge difference to ourside

Much better with him in it

Marchbank makes a huge difference to ourside

Much better with him in it

He's a great runner. Unfortunately we have three really good runners out of our backline in Marchbank, Williamson and Docherty. Those guys would all make a massive difference. Nothing against the guys we have in our back 6, they are very competent players but when these three get themselves going they will play and we can get back to having faith in our developing backline again.

I think these three should be capable of quick recoveries. Guys who are naturally good runners don't need the training that guys who aren't do. Hopefully our round 4 game against the Suns sees our team add some quality to it, if not before then.

All I need now is a picture of Williamson on the training track to make this all genuine. Surreal af right now.
For mine, the only way it's exciting is if these extended layoffs were incredibly meticulous about not leaving the door open for a recurrence. Their physiques needed to be remoulded in very specific ways, otherwise all that'll have happened is the cracks will have been papered over for 6 months, at best.

All I need now is a picture of Williamson on the training track to make this all genuine. Surreal af right now.

Was good to see both Willo and Pickett feature in the members clip :)

I'm really hoping Pickett can really start more intensive training in the next 4-6 weeks :)

For mine, the only way it's exciting is if these extended layoffs were incredibly meticulous about not leaving the door open for a recurrence. Their physiques needed to be remoulded in very specific ways, otherwise all that'll have happened is the cracks will have been papered over for 6 months, at best.

Williamson was probably a case of bulking up too much too soon in the upper body combined with an active growth spurt.

Edit: I should probably add that the above scenario isn't uncommon, at least in our playing group (e.g. McKay and Cripps), just that Williamson's issue seemed to linger for some reason.

What's your hypothesis re Marchbank and Macreadie?

Williamson was probably a case of bulking up too much too soon in the upper body combined with an active growth spurt.

What's your hypothesis re Marchbank and Macreadie?
Diet and CNS fatigue for all 3 of them IMO. Marchbank's never been lean enough for mine, with GWS always trying to bulk him up (and shrugging their shoulders when his foot turned to mush).

Macreadie just needed to go on a slow burn to becoming a KPD. Last pre-season he looked like he was being fed pellet food just for the sake of a calorie goal. Williamson was more meticulous, but showing the same degradation in terms of burnout.

Pickett needs to keep his weight in check, do whatever conditioning work he can, get rehab done and ease into running then full training then playing some time in the VFL later in the season with a big focus on his running and conditioning.

Once the season ends he needs to just train. No going away on lazy holidays, no break, no easing off, just needs to get into serious no nonsense running and conditioning work. For him preseason starts now. He's coming back from a long long way and has a lot of catching up to do.

You can't play catch up by doing a lot in a short time frame, he tried that and got injured and that is what will happen if you do that. He needs to do a lot over a long time frame. Not over doing it, just building and building.

He's a 22 year old who has never been fit. He's coming back from as far back as any player possibly can.

Turning up to next preseason in really good shape, fitter than he needs to be is where he must have his sights and hopefully he gets his running up to where it needs to be and makes an AFL player out of himself.

I see Pickett in 2020 as where McGovern is this season. McGovern needs to take his fitness to the next level next season after some interruptions and having room to improve. Pickett can get fit enough to get a game next year and play reasonable footy but probably not fit enough to reach that elite level, he will do that after the 2020 season has ended going into 2021 where he will still be a young player in his prime.

Marchbank (22), Pickett (22), Williamson (20), Macreadie (20). They are all really young. At strong clubs players this age are only just starting to be taken out of the packet and starting to cement their spot in the AFL around the 20-22 year old mark. It's certainly not to a point where we give up on them. Hopefully we can get them fit and reaching physical prime/maturity, which they are coming into, will see their bodies become more resilient and reliable.

Some athletes just keep getting injured until their mid 20s and then everything settles down and away they go. Pat Cummings is probably a really good example of that. Very injury prone cricketer, is now one of our more reliable and best players at 25 years old.

If these guys take until they are 23-24 years old before their bodies start to hold up then so be it. The timing is still good and talent wise they are worth the wait.

Development of players sometimes you have to wait for a lot of reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pickett needs to keep his weight in check, do whatever conditioning work he can, get rehab done and ease into running then full training then playing some time in the VFL later in the season with a big focus on his running and conditioning.

Once the season ends he needs to just train. No going away on lazy holidays, no break, no easing off, just needs to get into serious no nonsense running and conditioning work. For him preseason starts now. He's coming back from a long long way and has a lot of catching up to do.

You can't play catch up by doing a lot in a short time frame, he tried that and got injured and that is what will happen if you do that. He needs to do a lot over a long time frame. Not over doing it, just building and building.

He's a 22 year old who has never been fit. He's coming back from as far back as any player possibly can.

Turning up to next preseason in really good shape, fitter than he needs to be is where he must have his sights and hopefully he gets his running up to where it needs to be and makes an AFL player out of himself.

I see Pickett in 2020 as where McGovern is this season. McGovern needs to take his fitness to the next level next season after some interruptions and having room to improve. Pickett can get fit enough to get a game next year and play reasonable footy but probably not fit enough to reach that elite level, he will do that after the 2020 season has ended going into 2021 where he will still be a young player in his prime.

Marchbank (22), Pickett (22), Williamson (20), Macreadie (20). They are all really young. At strong clubs players this age are only just starting to be taken out of the packet and starting to cement their spot in the AFL around the 20-22 year old mark. It's certainly not to a point where we give up on them. Hopefully we can get them fit and reaching physical prime/maturity, which they are coming into, will see their bodies become more resilient and reliable.

Some athletes just keep getting injured until their mid 20s and then everything settles down and away they go. Pat Cummings is probably a really good example of that. Very injury prone cricketer, is now one of our more reliable and best players at 25 years old.

If these guys take until they are 23-24 years old before their bodies start to hold up then so be it. The timing is still good and talent wise they are worth the wait.

Nicely said and I would imagine Russell has told Pickett just that. Now up to Pickett to do the hard work as he definitely has an AFL career f he choses it.

Bolts was asked who is the fastest at the club on Foxtel the other day said Pickett by far and was incredible exciting to watch

Hopefully Pickett is on a smart recovery plan and he gets back on the park sooner rather than later- I can only imagine how awful both he and Docherty must feel in recovery mode from yet another injury. Good news on Kennedy/Kreuzer/Marchbank/McCreadie and Williamson's progress as well as Lang.hopefully the injury demons are now exorcised at Carlton.

Pickett came to pre-season overweight and under prepared. He was banished to train with the VFL and unsurprisingly broke down. You somehow believe that he is going to become this dedicated athlete? If his contract falls due at the end of the season, then he is finished. At least Tom Bugg was big enough to admit he did not have the fire in the belly for AFL, and saved everyone a lot of time and money.

Pickett came to pre-season overweight and under prepared. He was banished to train with the VFL and unsurprisingly broke down. You somehow believe that he is going to become this dedicated athlete? If his contract falls due at the end of the season, then he is finished. At least Tom Bugg was big enough to admit he did not have the fire in the belly for AFL, and saved everyone a lot of time and money.

Maybe and maybe not, depends how well he follows through with what he is supposed to do and depends whether we see any signs that he is going to follow through with the required dedication. Could do worse than place him on the rookie list. I'll admit his chances are slim. It's going to come down to him and our judgement.

It did not look good but we went from no high performance person to having a very good high performance person, this is the thing that I see which may save his career with us.

Pickett is a point of difference type player, we don’t have many.

Worth persevering with until the end of his contract. Would need to show improvement to win another one.

Just want to see him fit and confident, will be a match winner in a reasonable side.

Maybe and maybe not, depends how well he follows through with what he is supposed to do and depends whether we see any signs that he is going to follow through with the required dedication. Could do worse than place him on the rookie list. I'll admit his chances are slim. It's going to come down to him and our judgement.

It did not look good but we went from no high performance person to having a very good high performance person, this is the thing that I see which may save his career with us.

Right now, Pickett's chances of making it are the only thing about him that is slim...

This is true, your preseason form, particular leading upto 2018 draft, has been flawless and inspirational.
Sarcastic post is dripping with sarcasm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back