Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Liam Jones ok? It seems the club must be being very cautious with him. There’s a long life after footy to look forward to. I’d hate for there to be lasting issues for him.

Before the game on Saturday, Liam was speaking to members in the Victory Room. When asked about his injury he said everything was now OK and that he would be ready to go after the bye.

Is Liam Jones ok? It seems the club must be being very cautious with him. There’s a long life after footy to look forward to. I’d hate for there to be lasting issues for him.
Giving him plenty of time whilst building a tradable asset.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Does headgear actually prevent concussion? Or is it more of a 'feeling safe' thing?
Almost negligible prevention according to stuff I read a while ago. Concussion occurs with the brain bouncing around against the inside of the skull. A helmet can absorb some of the energy being transferred to the head when something hits it, but only a small amount unless you want to wear a giant bubble over your head. AFL helmets are more about protecting the skin, which is why a player like Caleb Daniel - who wanders around at perfect accidental elbow height - wears one.

Almost negligible prevention according to stuff I read a while ago. Concussion occurs with the brain bouncing around against the inside of the skull. A helmet can absorb some of the energy being transferred to the head when something hits it, but only a small amount unless you want to wear a giant bubble over your head. AFL helmets are more about protecting the skin, which is why a player like Caleb Daniel - who wanders around at perfect accidental elbow height - wears one.

Precisely. Padding over the head isn't going to stop the brain suddenly accelerating/decelerating from impact and crashing against the cranium and/or stretching the axons causing injury.

It's a field that is constantly evolving, though. So there might be some new information that I'm not aware of.

Precisely. Padding over the head isn't going to stop the brain suddenly accelerating/decelerating from impact and crashing against the cranium and/or stretching the axons causing injury.

It's a field that is constantly evolving, though. So there might be some new information that I'm not aware of.

You have the cranial suture crossroad regions which are particularly vulnerable to impact, which is where they can prevent injury, not the shaking of the brain itself though.

AFL helmets are more about protecting the skin, which is why a player like Caleb Daniel - who wanders around at perfect accidental elbow height - wears one.

How/why would I jump off the ground and accidentally elbow Caleb Daniel in the head?

Note: I am not Gary Ablett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

that would deadset kill me.......really gets me when a player makes a connection with me for whatever reason and then fails to make it through injury or washing out - suitcase B-R-O-W-N-E, holman, mcinnes, giles, dvr et al..........

I'm no common denominator.......

20180530091550a_1024x576.jpg

Does headgear actually prevent concussion? Or is it more of a 'feeling safe' thing?
Theres not a huge amount of research going into it yet.. NFL are investing quite a bit into this + understanding CTE... but in boxing it's been found to make it worse. Its not really known why but a study showed referees had to stop fights due to head trauma more often when the boxers were wearing headgear.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why is Deluca listed as 3-4 weeks? I thought the hammy he did in the WAFL was just a small 2 weeker and was due back this week or next week?
Not entirely sure, but also not sure why AFL's injury list which says it's on the same date as our one has him as a "Test". It's a mystery...

RE: Willo and Russel

Let's not forget how long it actually took O'Maera to get right. This is the first year he's been right, before this he was still in and out all the time. People were constantly writing him off, now he's more or less right. It doesn't just happen in 1 off-season.

SO while Williamson and his back is concerning, we must give more time for it to get right. I'd be disappointed if he'd been shut down for the season, but I'd also understand that it's probably a good thing long term.

Not entirely sure, but also not sure why AFL's injury list which says it's on the same date as our one has him as a "Test". It's a mystery...
Just watching the most recent video Russel does say that Deluca is ready to go and will be available after the bye, but the written report says 3-4 weeks? The video is probably why the AFL version says "test".

Bloody hell the injury reporting by this club does my head in. No idea why they have to be so obtuse about it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back