Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Mcgovern has to be injured so i its weird he doesn't get a mention. If he's not injured then he would be playing 2s, if he's not injured and not playing 2s then something is wrong.
As others have mentioned injuries have hindered the development of his fitness.
If you play him at any level you leave the door ajar inviting that roadblock all over again.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Disagree, although I'll acknowledge we can't be sure, just have the discussion.

1) Firstly, we know that his brother was a chubbster too. The McGoverns appear to have slower metabolism than other AFL players and probably love the food. Can almost guarantee he'll look like Fev 2-3 years after retirement. Knowing Jeremy turned it around, it's no excuse to get fat for Mitch.

2) Secondly, maybe it's not his fault that he was played while not properly fit, but the Teague/Russell call for him to go through the conditioning block should have happened as soon as he needed it, it was simply left too late.

3) Thirdly, we are all human and once we receive a big payday, there's a tendency to sit back and get a bit lazier. For others it spurs them on, but there's a reason that there's spikes in performance in a contract year.

4) Fourthly, IMO the McGoverns are drama queens. I have no doubt that his early injuries were legitimate and serious. But the in-game niggles etc that happen with him and Jeremy (who is one of my oppo favourite players) cause them to act like it's the worst thing in the world. How many times have we seen them go down or go off in pain for the slightest knock or fall. Only to come back in later on. A bit of acting here. Jeremy against Melbourne on the weekend was a classic example of this.

Conclusion: We have invested too much in terms of cap space and draft assets for McGovern to be risked. Should be gotten right, kept in check re: his chubbness and only played when he's earned it like the rest of the players.

There is another point:

Being country boys both the McGoverns just want to kick the pigskin. You will rarely find them in the gym, certainly wouldn't be doing extra sessions.

Although, given the coin they are on, perhaps they need to be more disciplined with diet and professionalism

There is another point:

Being country boys both the McGoverns just want to kick the pigskin. You will rarely find them in the gym, certainly wouldn't be doing extra sessions.

Although, given the coin they are on, perhaps they need to be more disciplined with diet and professionalism
I think he should play before end of season to keep him feeling positive

He was dropped to gain fitness so not an injury...though the reason he dropped fitness is due to previous injuries.

Yes, then why isn’t he playing 2s?
That’s how you gain fitness, by training and playing.

If he’s not playing then he’s injured, if he’s not injured and not playing, something is wrong.

If he’s not playing then he’s injured, if he’s not injured and not playing, something is wrong.

Actually they clearly have a program where the best way he gains fitness is by not playing.

Just do the conditioning work to gain fitness, not having to shorten preparation for a game and in the game experience more contact and pull up sore...
That's been Russell's MO all year...players held back from games and just do training conditioning blocks.

Our previous regime would rush players back to try to 'gain fitness' while playing...that didn't work out so well.

Nothing's wrong. Club got sick of his lack of professionalism in rehab and then training and McGovern was told he would not play until his fitness and attitude were at an acceptable level. Since Teague has taken over Russell has more say.

Positive is that since he was dropped he has done everything asked and is looking good.

Actually they clearly have a program where the best way he gains fitness is by not playing.

Just do the conditioning work to gain fitness, not having to shorten preparation for a game and in the game experience more contact and pull up sore...
That's been Russell's MO all year...players held back from games and just do training conditioning blocks.

Our previous regime would rush players back to try to 'gain fitness' while playing...that didn't work out so well.

Lets hope so.
Has he been training with the main group?

Which begs the question, what’s going on?
That’s how I see it, not injured and not playing. Pretty concerning if you ask me.
he's out of condition - it's been in the papers.........

There is another point:

That has been the issue.

Injury can restrict form or being "match fit" but there is no excuse for not looking after yourself and that has been his issue. Look at players like Docherty & Williamson and the condition they keep themselves in even with severe injuries.

That has been the issue.

Injury can restrict form or being "match fit" but there is no excuse for not looking after yourself and that has been his issue. Look at players like Docherty & Williamson and the condition they keep themselves in even with severe injuries.
some have bigger struggles than others when it comes to maintaining an athletic shape - I am lucky in that I eat like a pig but carry little sign of it (shutup hbf) I have always had compassion for others who have a yoyo fight with their weight in any walk of life - still, he has to know the expectations of the club

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the last few years our philosophy was that playing games is the best form of training (distinctly recall this being said in an interview).
Seems like Russell disagrees.

Its the Premier League mentality. Get a solid block of training into a player without games as games cause fatigue and recovery is slower. Even if he doesn't play again this year, he will be 10 weeks a head of last year when he turned up!

That has been the issue.

Not disputing that and it is no excuse, as I mentioned, it's just a mindset of some country boys

Terry Daniher "nice paddock, great shed"

he's out of condition - it's been in the papers.........

He sure is, I read them. Maybe my way of thinking is outdated, a player is out of condition, gets dropped and is told to go work hard on your fitness, I don’t see why this means not playing in the 2s. This is where we are getting stuck. I think he should be playing, I would have thought training hard and playing at the lower level would have been the best way to build fitness.

our philosophy was that playing games is the best form of training

Lets not underestimate having a list NOT half full of spuds makes. A (nearly) full list with lots of depth and options, allows the pressure to be taken off, whilst players are "managed". Levi being number 4/5 tall forward allows charlie and mitch to get to full recovery for example

Its the Premier League mentality. Get a solid block of training into a player without games as games cause fatigue and recovery is slower. Even if he doesn't play again this year, he will be 10 weeks a head of last year when he turned up!

Works most of the time.....its why Doc going down again is such a tragedy

Russell working on McGovern over a number of weeks.

If Mitch though the pre-season was 'back-breaking'..... ;)

My guess is that Mitch will be given extra work between the finish of the season and next preseason, so that he is up with, if not ahead of the other players when heading into preseason. Psychologically that will give him a lift, to think that the other have to catch him in fitness, and hopefully spur him onto trying to keep ahead of the other players. looking forward to a huge 2020 from him

He sure is, I read them. Maybe my way of thinking is outdated, a player is out of condition, gets dropped and is told to go work hard on your fitness, I don’t see why this means not playing in the 2s. This is where we are getting stuck. I think he should be playing, I would have thought training hard and playing at the lower level would have been the best way to build fitness.
maybe russell knows stuff.......

Nothing's wrong. Club got sick of his lack of professionalism in rehab and then training and McGovern was told he would not play until his fitness and attitude were at an acceptable level. Since Teague has taken over Russell has more say.

Positive is that since he was dropped he has done everything asked and is looking good.

Very interesting if true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back