Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing's wrong. Club got sick of his lack of professionalism in rehab and then training and McGovern was told he would not play until his fitness and attitude were at an acceptable level. Since Teague has taken over Russell has more say.

Positive is that since he was dropped he has done everything asked and is looking good.
Is he close to a recall or not just yet?

So Curnow, Gibbons, Samo & Walsh only players to play every game. Testament to Walsh - hasn’t dropped off one iota. What a machine.
And Gibbo too. Didn't start training with the club until after Christmas & like Walsh, has got better as the season has progressed.

He sure is, I read them. Maybe my way of thinking is outdated, a player is out of condition, gets dropped and is told to go work hard on your fitness, I don’t see why this means not playing in the 2s. This is where we are getting stuck. I think he should be playing, I would have thought training hard and playing at the lower level would have been the best way to build fitness.
As far as I’m aware it’s mainly resistance type training that would affect your ability to play each week. If it’s cardio then I don’t see why as you suggest he can’t train through the week and play in the 2s on weekends.

I would think that perhaps McGovern may not play until later and would have to prove himself in the VFL. We've certainly looked better without him. Kennedy and Silvagni have both given a lot more than McGovern has at any point this season.

I think McGovern needs to finish this season fit, playing is not important at this stage, main thing is he's up and going for a proper preseason.

Won't be at all surprised if he's a player we have to find a place for and IMO defence might be that spot.

I would think that perhaps McGovern may not play until later and would have to prove himself in the VFL. We've certainly looked better without him. Kennedy and Silvagni have both given a lot more than McGovern has at any point this season.

I think McGovern needs to finish this season fit, playing is not important at this stage, main thing is he's up and going for a proper preseason.

Won't be at all surprised if he's a player we have to find a place for and IMO defence might be that spot.

McGovern is the best kick for goal in the team and makes defenders nervous with his physicality when on song.
Get him cherry ripe over summer and he will prove a very difficult matchup for defenders with his mix of marking ability and agility.
With further natural improvement and maturity in McKay and Curnow next season, a fit and firing McGovern will slaughter many a third defender ...

What I'm really enjoying about the new Carlton in regard to McGovern is that there is an accountability and alignment here through coach, fitness staff and player that to get the best result for the individual and team. This is professionalism that has been wanted but not delivered even through recent years.

Good signs.

McGovern is the best kick for goal in the team and makes defenders nervous with his physicality when on song.
Get him cherry ripe over summer and he will prove a very difficult matchup for defenders with his mix of marking ability and agility.
With further natural improvement and maturity in McKay and Curnow next season, a fit and firing McGovern will slaughter many a third defender ...

Hope so, as long as he brings some forward pressure and hard hitting tackling and attack on the footy like what Silvagni and Kennedy have brought to the side. I'll be judging his game not just on goal kicking but also his ability to make significant impact with the ball on the deck.

Forward line could have some strong selection competition next season.

Picking 7 and getting the structure right will be a delicate process.

Need to have the right mix of goal kicking ability, ability to play as a high half forward and deep forward, effectiveness to apply pressure, tackle and win ground balls and an ability to pinch hit in other positions and roles.

I think some players might be looking to play others position.

Curnow - Ideally a CHF/FF but could play up the field. Pressure acts are moderate and he's good at ground level. Potential high goal kicker.

McKay - CHF/FF who can pinch hit in the ruck. Not overly good at ground level and just ok at pressure acts. Potential high goal kicker.

Casboult - Key forward/back and part time ruck. Purely an aerial player but elite in that field. Moderate goal kicker.

Silvagni - Hard matchup type who is really good at ground level, tackling and marking. Can pinch hit on the ball and in defence. Goal a game player. High goal assists. Love his hard hitting and clean hands.

Kennedy - Hard to matchup type who is good at ground level, tackling and marking. Can pinch hit on the ball. Potential 2 goal a game player with high goal assists. Love his hard hitting and handball game.

Gibbons - Genuine hight half forward who pushes up to create an extra forward running midfielder. Good pressure and physicality. Low goal scorer, high ball winner.

Cuningham - Genuine high half forward who pushes up to creat a genuine forward running mid with the potential to be a good ground level player closer to goal. Good pressure ok physicality. 1-2 goal a game player.

McGovern - Out of form and fitness. Potentially a good mark who is good at ground level. Questions over his pressure acts and physicality at ground level. Still a lot of questions after a very unimpressive season. Potential to become an elite third tall defender.

TDK - Developing ruckman who can play as a forward but probably not a FF or CHF at least at this stage.

Potential recruits
Baker - Top level small forward who can play deep but mostly hight. Good Pressure.
Papley - All round good small forward.

9-11 players to pick 7 forwards and make a balanced forward line is pretty good. Really liked how we have looked with two genuine tall forwards, two good medium all rounders and two small forwards. The only hole in that mix the last month has probably been Dow who is not going that well this season.

Plenty to discuss here

HF: Gibbons McKay [Elite small recruit]
F: Kennedy Curnow Silvagni
IC: Cuningham

I would probably be looking at this in regards to next year's forward line. Some people probably aren't going to agree with Casboult and McGovern missing but structurally I think that forward line is pretty close to the money. Casboult would have to push McKay out and he would this year. McGovern would have to push Kennedy or Silvagni out and he isn't even close at the moment and that is why I can see him being trained hard and put into defence which will put pressure on Plowman and Marchbank.

Hope so, as long as he brings some forward pressure and hard hitting tackling and attack on the footy like what Silvagni and Kennedy have brought to the side. I'll be judging his game not just on goal kicking but also his ability to make significant impact with the ball on the deck.

Forward line could have some strong selection competition next season.

Picking 7 and getting the structure right will be a delicate process.

Need to have the right mix of goal kicking ability, ability to play as a high half forward and deep forward, effectiveness to apply pressure, tackle and win ground balls and an ability to pinch hit in other positions and roles.

I think some players might be looking to play others position.

Curnow - Ideally a CHF/FF but could play up the field. Pressure acts are moderate and he's good at ground level. Potential high goal kicker.

McKay - CHF/FF who can pinch hit in the ruck. Not overly good at ground level and just ok at pressure acts. Potential high goal kicker.

Casboult - Key forward/back and part time ruck. Purely an aerial player but elite in that field. Moderate goal kicker.

Silvagni - Hard matchup type who is really good at ground level, tackling and marking. Can pinch hit on the ball and in defence. Goal a game player. High goal assists. Love his hard hitting and clean hands.

Kennedy - Hard to matchup type who is good at ground level, tackling and marking. Can pinch hit on the ball. Potential 2 goal a game player with high goal assists. Love his hard hitting and handball game.

Gibbons - Genuine hight half forward who pushes up to create an extra forward running midfielder. Good pressure and physicality. Low goal scorer, high ball winner.

Cuningham - Genuine high half forward who pushes up to creat a genuine forward running mid with the potential to be a good ground level player closer to goal. Good pressure ok physicality. 1-2 goal a game player.

McGovern - Out of form and fitness. Potentially a good mark who is good at ground level. Questions over his pressure acts and physicality at ground level. Still a lot of questions after a very unimpressive season. Potential to become an elite third tall defender.

TDK - Developing ruckman who can play as a forward but probably not a FF or CHF at least at this stage.

Potential recruits
Baker - Top level small forward who can play deep but mostly hight. Good Pressure.
Papley - All round good small forward.

9-11 players to pick 7 forwards and make a balanced forward line is pretty good. Really liked how we have looked with two genuine tall forwards, two good medium all rounders and two small forwards. The only hole in that mix the last month has probably been Dow who is not going that well this season.

Plenty to discuss here

HF: Gibbons McKay [Elite small recruit]
F: Kennedy Curnow Silvagni
IC: Cuningham

I would probably be looking at this in regards to next year's forward line. Some people probably aren't going to agree with Casboult and McGovern missing but structurally I think that forward line is pretty close to the money. Casboult would have to push McKay out and he would this year. McGovern would have to push Kennedy or Silvagni out and he isn't even close at the moment and that is why I can see him being trained hard and put into defence which will put pressure on Plowman and Marchbank.

Cuningham Curnow Kennedy
McGovern McKay Papley

Silvagni is a ripper.
First named on interchange for mine as he can give the team what’s needed literally anywhere on the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't remember his words exactly but Willo was interviewed pre game in the legends lounge and was asked about his back. Said he had a scan recently and got some really good news and was on ice as it wasnt worth the risk for the rest of the year but confident about preseason.
absolute music to the ears yubby

Don't remember his words exactly but Willo was interviewed pre game in the legends lounge and was asked about his back. Said he had a scan recently and got some really good news and was on ice as it wasnt worth the risk for the rest of the year but confident about preseason.

giphy.gif

Thx for the tidbit Yubby. Willo is a vital cog going forward.

Rapt to hear he's got reason to be upbeat.

So Curnow, Gibbons, Samo & Walsh only players to play every game. Testament to Walsh - hasn’t dropped off one iota. What a machine.

Samo with 61 of a possible 63 games so far. He's David Dunn to Willo's Mr Glass.

Daisy - Virus - Available
Cunners - Knee - In the mix
Kreuzer - Soreness - Chance to play this week
McGov - Managed - Will play this week or next week
Lebois - Low grade hamstring - Appr 2-3 weeks

Daisy - Virus - Available
Cunners - Knee - In the mix
Kreuzer - Soreness - Chance to play this week
McGov - Managed - Will play this week or next week
Lebois - Low grade hamstring - Appr 2-3 weeks
Sad to think last week may have been the last opportunity to witness Lebois play, he will be forever missed

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

:blueheart: DOC :blueheart:

CARLTON co-captain Sam Docherty will ramp up his recovery from successive knee reconstructions this off-season when he journeys to Philadelphia to meet with world-renowned sports reconditioning expert Bill Knowles.

AFL.com.au understands Docherty will head to the US in the coming weeks, desperate to leave no stone unturned in his recovery from back-to-back ACL injuries to his troublesome left knee.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back