Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Test for this week. For what it’s worth, listening to Andrew Russell’s injury update today, I got the impression that Jack is more unlikely than likely to get up for this week.

BB15 - interested in your take on the Dow comments. When Russell said that Dow will play football next week, do you think he meant reserves/scratch match? Can’t see him being put straight back into the seniors after such a long layoff.

I don't even think he's best 22 right now

You’re probably right.
But keen to see how he goes if given an opportunity.
His knee is currently keeping him out of contention - if/when he’s fully fit I wonder how close he’d be to selection.

I really like that they're reintegrating players in stages instead of just saying "Great you're fit get out and play"

It seems like they're fit then they need to train for another 2 or 3 weeks before they'll be considered for a game - depending how long they've been out. I'm so accustomed to hearing "so and so is fit no so they're available for selection" so now hearing "Yeah he's fit but needs to do skills training for 2 or 3 weeks before they'll be considered for selection" just feels... weird.. in a good way
A Training block, building them up until their right to go, the man certainly knows his stuff, his been brilliant a position that’s crucial and one we’re been very poor in before his arrival...

BB15 - interested in your take on the Dow comments. When Russell said that Dow will play football next week, do you think he meant reserves/scratch match? Can’t see him being put straight back into the seniors after such a long layoff.
He’ll more than likely have his training block build up it sounds like a few more weeks, more than likely 3 or 4 match simulation sessions all depending on any standout or great touch at a decent level, also on how we’re travelling form and injury wise...

Sorry for the delayed response OTF - busy day so far.

Yes, a scratch match for Dow first up. Hasn’t played since round 1 which is now about 4 months ago. Would like to see him get a couple of games under him before being considered for senior selection.

I would like to see Paddy get a run on ball in the seniors later this season. However, I remain a bit sceptical of where he fits into Teague’s current plans. Hasn’t worked as a half forward - doesn’t get enough of the ball or take his opportunities in front of goal. He’s an out and out midfielder for me. We know Teague has him behind Crippa and Ed. But is he now also behind Martin, Setters and Cunners? Not to mention Murph and Fish could still be used in there.

I still believe in this kid. I think the next 18 months are huge for him. If he can’t cement a spot in our midfield (which is still our biggest weakness) in the next season and a half, where does that leave him? Keen to hear your views.

Yes, a scratch match for Dow first up. Hasn’t played since round 1 which is now about 4 months ago. Would like to see him get a couple of games under him before being considered for senior selection.

I would like to see Paddy get a run on ball in the seniors later this season. However, I remain a bit sceptical of where he fits into Teague’s current plans. Hasn’t worked as a half forward - doesn’t get enough of the ball or take his opportunities in front of goal. He’s an out and out midfielder for me. We know Teague has him behind Crippa and Ed. But is he now also behind Martin, Setters and Cunners? Not to mention Murph and Fish could still be used in there.

I still believe in this kid. I think the next 18 months are huge for him. If he can’t cement a spot in our midfield (which is still our biggest weakness) in the next season and a half, where does that leave him? Keen to hear your views.

I totally agree with you.
I also have faith in him. We have all seen his issues with disposal - I’m not sure if it’s a fault with his technique or a mental/confidence issue. Despite him being an above average mark, his shakiness in front of goal make him a negative in the forward line. His repeat efforts aren’t suitable for forward pressure, so he really gives us little up there.
He is definitely a mid for mine. I recall some of his footwork in congestion, sidestepping and baulking to get free. It was electric to watch, and to me signalled his best position.
I am far from an expert on midfield positioning and stoppage strategies, but I feel the “go to” centre square trio of Cripps, Setters and Ed are far too similar. I think that 2 of those 3 can be in there at once, but all 3 make us far too one-paced and slow on the spread. I’d love a rotation of Martin, Fish, Cunners and Dow in there as the line breaking runner, capitalising on the clearance ability of the other 2.
Probably a bit too simplistic, but that’s how I see him used. Other than stints in the centre square, he is probably best as a high HFF, coming up to the wing at stoppages rather than an inside 50 small forward.
Hope he gets a chance. If he’s not careful, Josh Honey might leapfrog him in that kind of role.

it will take quite a bit for me to give up on dow - I just get too excited when he's on - mind you it has happened to other players I was bullish on - harry macreadie probably being next cab off the rank unfortunately......

There is always room at the top. Doesnt matter how many are ahead of him....if hes good enough it doesnt matter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am far from an expert on midfield positioning and stoppage strategies, but I feel the “go to” centre square trio of Cripps, Setters and Ed are far too similar. I think that 2 of those 3 can be in there at once, but all 3 make us far too one-paced and slow on the spread. I’d love a rotation of Martin, Fish, Cunners and Dow in there as the line breaking runner, capitalising on the clearance ability of the other 2.
Probably a bit too simplistic, but that’s how I see him used. Other than stints in the centre square, he is probably best as a high HFF, coming up to the wing at stoppages rather than an inside 50 small forward.
Hope he gets a chance. If he’s not careful, Josh Honey might leapfrog him in that kind of role.

Screenshot (249).png

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but any news re the injuries to Cripps and Murph? They’d have had scans yesterday I’d imagine.

it will take quite a bit for me to give up on dow - I just get too excited when he's on - mind you it has happened to other players I was bullish on - harry macreadie probably being next cab off the rank unfortunately......
and Angwin was another I believe

PlayerInjuryUpdate
Patrick CrippsShoulderAvailable for selection.
Charlie CurnowKnee
Paddy DowKnee"He has two more training sessions to go, we expect him to play."
Brodie KempKnee
Matthew KreuzerFoot
Caleb MarchbankKnee"He had his second week of ball work: he needs another few weeks."
Marc MurphyHip"He'll probably get up, but he needs to get through training for the whole week."
Nic NewmanKnee
Jack SilvagniRibs"He was close, he didn't quite get up. We expect him to be available."
Tom WilliamsonAnkle"He had a minor ankle sprain... he ran today. He'll be fine."

Is anyone else wondering about the extent of Marchbank and or Dow's injuries? Marchy has a bruised knee in early March - nothing structural, just a bad bruise in the practice match at Princes Park and we are 4 months in. As for Paddy Dow, I can't recall anththing specific other than hearing he was nursing a sore knee in the lead up to the season return in June. He played against Richmond round 1 - March 19th and somehow he is still a "week or two away" in the middle of July. Blokes have come back earlier from PCL and Medial injuries. I'm not trying to suggest anything untoward but the lay offs seem excessive relative to what was reported. I'm all ears.

Is anyone else wondering about the extent of Marchbank and or Dow's injuries? Marchy has a bruised knee in early March - nothing structural, just a bad bruise in the practice match at Princes Park and we are 4 months in. As for Paddy Dow, I can't recall anththing specific other than hearing he was nursing a sore knee in the lead up to the season return in June. He played against Richmond round 1 - March 19th and somehow he is still a "week or two away" in the middle of July. Blokes have come back earlier from PCL and Medial injuries. I'm not trying to suggest anything untoward but the lay offs seem excessive relative to what was reported. I'm all ears.

I took the injury update video to mean that Dow will play this week. Clearly he’s no guarantee to crack the senior team, but as I believe we’re playing the Saints again in a scratch match he’ll most likely play in that.
As to why it’s taken 4 months to come back - I can only imagine that he flared up the knee in the block of training leading up to Round 2. That would mean a 6-8 week recovery time, which is quite reasonable, especially as we were never told the full extent of it.

Anyone know exactly what's wrong with McCreadie. He's been on our list for while now, but hasn't played for probably 2 years. Last season I thought he suffered from bad hamstring problems and kept breaking down. There has been no mention of his injury/injuries lately and just curious if anybody has heard if he's ok this year or played in any of the scratch matches recently. Showed a lot of promise early, and I thought he had the tall build and pace to develop into a decent key position defender.

PlayerInjuryUpdate
Patrick CrippsShoulderAvailable for selection.
Charlie CurnowKnee
Paddy DowKnee"He has two more training sessions to go, we expect him to play."
Brodie KempKnee
Matthew KreuzerFoot
Caleb MarchbankKnee"He had his second week of ball work: he needs another few weeks."
Marc MurphyHip"He'll probably get up, but he needs to get through training for the whole week."
Nic NewmanKnee
Jack SilvagniRibs"He was close, he didn't quite get up. We expect him to be available."
Tom WilliamsonAnkle"He had a minor ankle sprain... he ran today. He'll be fine."

Given the likelihood of a crammed schedule in the next few weeks I wouldn't be surprised (or upset) if Murphy went out for Fisher. Will be intresting to see if they can squeeze Jack into the side

Anyone know exactly what's wrong with McCreadie. He's been on our list for while now, but hasn't played for probably 2 years. Last season I thought he suffered from bad hamstring problems and kept breaking down. There has been no mention of his injury/injuries lately and just curious if anybody has heard if he's ok this year or played in any of the scratch matches recently. Showed a lot of promise early, and I thought he had the tall build and pace to develop into a decent key position defender.
Good question I was starting to think I had missed him being de-listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back