Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Marchbank "way way too good"?

He's had a couple of good games - but nothing that screams to me that he's about to tear the comp apart.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see the level of upside that others are seeing. Poor bugger has really been cruelled by not being able to string a couple of uninterrupted seasons together.
When fit, he is very, very good. People don't remember because it was sooooo long ago.

About to hit his physical prime so won't be easily pushed around which was one area he needed a bit of work on.

Looking forward to having him back, kid can play.

When fit, he is very, very good. People don't remember because it was sooooo long ago.

About to hit his physical prime so won't be easily pushed around which was one area he needed a bit of work on.

Marchbank is a very good player and is...or at least was...very much required.

He's not a player we can afford to lose, even of he isn't a legitimate KPD.

His good games are low 20s for disposals at close to 80% DE plus 8 or 9 marks with around 10 intercept possessions. Very good stuff.

PlayerInjuryUpdate
Patrick CrippsKnee"He's got no structural damage. He's a test to play."
Charlie CurnowKnee
Brodie KempKnee
Matthew KreuzerFoot
Caleb MarchbankLeg"He's got some residual soreness in his leg. In the next few weeks, we want to get him up and running again but it won’t be this week."
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailable for selection.
Nic NewmanKnee
Ben SilvagniShoulder
Jack SilvagniKnee (ITB)"We're going to try and get him back playing this year: over the next couple of weeks, we might see him back at reserves level."
Jacob WeiteringCalf"We think he's a pretty strong chance of playing."

No mention of SPS, but I'd expect him to miss another game.

PlayerInjuryUpdate
Patrick CrippsKnee"He's got no structural damage. He's a test to play."
Charlie CurnowKnee
Brodie KempKnee
Matthew KreuzerFoot
Caleb MarchbankLeg"He's got some residual soreness in his leg. In the next few weeks, we want to get him up and running again but it won’t be this week."
Mitch McGovernHamstringAvailable for selection.
Nic NewmanKnee
Ben SilvagniShoulder
Jack SilvagniKnee (ITB)"We're going to try and get him back playing this year: over the next couple of weeks, we might see him back at reserves level."
Jacob WeiteringCalf"We think he's a pretty strong chance of playing."

No mention of SPS, but I'd expect him to miss another game.

No mention of Gibbo or the Plow either, they must of got injured in the last hour at the pool

No mention of Gibbo or the Plow either, they must of got injured in the last hour at the pool
Negative: they were rested. You could see it in the way they were playing, and in Gibbons' case, the number of minutes he was spending on the bench in games. When the games are this frequent, you have to rotate or you risk serious injury due to fatigue.

Assuming Cripps and Weitering are OK, Newnes, Betts and Docherty will likely be next.

Negative: they were rested. You could see it in the way they were playing, and in Gibbons' case, the number of minutes he was spending on the bench in games. When the games are this frequent, you have to rotate or you risk serious injury due to fatigue.

Assuming Cripps and Weitering are OK, Newnes, Betts and Docherty will likely be next.
Why not just say 'managed' rather than explicitly listing both of their omissions as 'injured'?

I placed this in the 'Media' forum, but it covers some injury issues too. (Cripps) Sorry mods, wasn't sure where it fitted best?

After reading that, I'm convinced we'll lose the next two. It would appear Russell's not clued into a few things that would be critical in this run of games, and one of them is that he shouldn't be in charge of the player's diets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After reading that, I'm convinced we'll lose the next two. It would appear Russell's not clued into a few things that would be critical in this run of games, and one of them is that he shouldn't be in charge of the player's diets.

What part in that whole article, concerns you about player diets?

"Russell concentrated on "refuelling" the group with carbohydrates, proteins and vegetables"

What part in that whole article, concerns you about player diets?

"Russell concentrated on "refuelling" the group with carbohydrates, proteins and vegetables"
My issue is that our dietitian is in Sydney and Russell's overseeing the program, so I'm left wondering if he's breaking protocol. Not sure we're a low carb team either, which is a bit disappointing in the current climate.

His recognition of the impact on the CNS is nice, but if he was serious about it they'd be on low carb, outside of maybe 100-150g on game day and perhaps another lot the night before.

Here's a good video on the benefits:

AFAIK, this is fairly wide spread in the AFL these days, but I don't think they're allowed to formally acknowledge that, as all associated sporting bodies and dietary bodies still say AFL is not a sport where you can cut carbs. Plus there's a lot of coin in keeping deep-pocketed sponsors appeased.

My issue is that our dietitian is in Sydney and Russell's overseeing the program, so I'm left wondering if he's breaking protocol. Not sure we're a low carb team either, which is a bit disappointing in the current climate.

His recognition of the impact on the CNS is nice, but if he was serious about it they'd be on low carb, outside of maybe 100-150g on game day and perhaps another lot the night before.

AFAIK, this is fairly wide spread in the AFL these days, but I don't think they're allowed to formally acknowledge that, as all associated sporting bodies and dietary bodies still say AFL is not a sport where you can cut carbs. Plus there's a lot of coin in keeping deep-pocketed sponsors appeased.

Okay so you are making assumptions that Russell could or might be breaking protocols, but it's really only speculation on your behalf

If the data is being reviewed by the dietitian and instructing Russell/club in terms of what that looks like, then the responsibility comes back to the dietitian

There are 1000 others things to worry about besides Keto or thermal dynamics.
Going to sidestep your joke about thermodynamics instead of biomechanics for a second, and ask you to name 5 things that you think are more important than a player's diet, and training & managing how they physically move in terms of preparation of an athlete.

Hell, I'll take three.

Okay so you are making assumptions that Russell could or might be breaking protocols, but it's really only speculation on your behalf

If the data is being reviewed by the dietitian and instructing Russell/club in terms of what that looks like, then the responsibility comes back to the dietitian
It's a concern, but we're consistently falling behind in terms of athletic performance across the season despite a concerted effort to bring in better, higher skilled runners into the team. We also continue to have enormous injury tallies.

We've fixed the physio team, we've fixed the high performance training regiments, now it's probably worth looking at dietary approach, because the physiological changes and performance and recovery markers are undeniable, and probably help explain the change in performance and injury management of several organisations over the last 5-6 years.

Going to sidestep your joke about thermodynamics instead of biomechanics for a second, and ask you to name 5 things that you think are more important than a player's diet, and training & managing how they physically move in terms of preparation of an athlete.

Hell, I'll take three.

You said diet, now you’re adding training, player management and physical movements?

You might as well add in superannuation, financial planning and mental health.

You’re funny.

That’s 3 btw.

Thanks Steve T :p

Thanks Steve T :p

;)

Current injury list has Stocker out indefinitely for personal reasons. Anyone know anything about this? Hope he's okay.

He left the hub for personal reasons about two months ago - speculation was to do with family (and not him as an individual) but we don’t know what exactly. He can’t get back to the hub so he’s out for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back