Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I’m convinced with the mandatory 12 day concussion break.

Someone gets hit in a prelim, no later symptoms and misses a potential once in a life time chance at a flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If/ when that happens watch the AFL be re-active as usual and give grand final teams a week off after the prelims.

It's when the finals bye should be anyway get the GF teams cherry ripe for the biggest game of the year. Not a week off before finals start.

Make the grand final eve public holiday run for the whole week.

Brilliant!

Too right, we don’t have enough public hiolidays in Victoria, bring back Easter Tuesday and Show Day whilst they’re at it

And what about not getting a public holiday for Anzac Day because it's on a Sunday?

That's downright un-Australian!

What next? I suppose someone is going to suggest the day is supposed to pay respect to the brave men and women who have served our country and defended our honour and national interests and its not about sleeping in and watching Netflix?!?

Madness I tells ya.

Edit: damn you (John) Stamos!

Someone gets hit in a prelim, no later symptoms and misses a potential once in a life time chance at a flag.

um...........have you seen the, ah, latest research...........the whole point of the 12 day break?

Yet he/she has an evidence based opportunity later in life. Player would want to play, CTE doesn’t care though.

If/ when that happens watch the AFL be re-active as usual and give grand final teams a week off after the prelims.

It will be even weirder than that. The AFL Semi Finals will be played on Friday and Saturday night and Preliminary Finals will be played on Monday and Tuesday, both games at 11AM. So if a player does get concussed in the Tuesday game, the Grand Final is exactly 12 days later.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the others with their anticipated weeks out of action

View attachment 1095801
It would be nice if the club could provide a little info about Charlie. I don't need an elaborate report, but just a little 'yep he's travelling like expected' would be cool.

It would be nice if the club could provide a little info about Charlie. I don't need an elaborate report, but just a little 'yep he's travelling like expected' would be cool.
Liddle pretty much said that on Sunday on 3AW, along with the 'in the coming weeks' comment about Cripps' contract.

I hope we’re talking about a customary “6 weeks” and not a Carlton “6 weeks” (I.e. 8-12 weeks)
I'd love it if they were setting my work contract. 6 weeks leave with extensions.

That gets rolled out regularly. Crikey we're an insecure mob but probably with good reason.

um...........have you seen the, ah, latest research...........the whole point of the 12 day break?
Yes - but I haven't seen any research on the mental health implications of preventing someone from reaching their personal pinnacle when they personally feel they are fit to play.

I am not dismissing the CTE research. My concern is we are putting in place a hard rule which takes away any personal choice or variation. History is full of evidence of governments putting in laws based upon a "we know best" philosophy, taking away personal choice. Repeatedly, these cause issues down the track because individuals don't like having choice taken away from them, and the govt, and AFL, doesn't always know what is best for each impacted individual.

It would be a lot better imho, if it was a recommended 12 day break, with players given info from the doctor about their own case, so they can make their own decision.

How many players would decide not to play in a GF? That's the whole point. It's taken out of their hands for a reason. What if they were then concussed again? It's about future wellbeing, not player milestones. The news is full of ex-players with ongoing mental conditions through having their brains repeatedly smashed around inside their skulls.

Compared to the others, I assume Carroll could get some value out of the coming weeks with just a thumb injury? (ie he can still run)
Yeah no surgery means it’s a non-displaced fracture which should see him able to run and
How many players would decide not to play in a GF? That's the whole point. It's taken out of their hands for a reason. What if they were then concussed again? It's about future wellbeing, not player milestones. The news is full of ex-players with ongoing mental conditions through having their brains repeatedly smashed around inside their skulls.
Exactly. 99% of players in that hypothetical situation would lie and say they were fine for a chance to play. Its an archaic attitude to suggest that players should be able to judge their own body where head injuries are concerned.

No point playing in the grand final if you can hardly remember the game 20 years later. If a few fit players missing big games is the cost of seeing less Danny Frawley/Shane Tuck cases in the future then that’s a price everyone should be happy to pay

Yeah no surgery means it’s a non-displaced fracture which should see him able to run and

Exactly. 99% of players in that hypothetical situation would lie and say they were fine for a chance to play. Its an archaic attitude to suggest that players should be able to judge their own body where head injuries are concerned.

No point playing in the grand final if you can hardly remember the game 20 years later. If a few fit players missing big games is the cost of seeing less Danny Frawley/Shane Tuck cases in the future then that’s a price everyone should be happy to pay
Diesel literally does not remember the 1995 Grand Final or his daughters middle names. This point is so valid.

If a reliable blood test for concussion gets approved here. I could see the AFL move to an objective measure of assessing return date. However I would guess for a serious concussion you would be away far longer than 12 days. For example Boxers can take 8-10 weeks after a bout before tau levels drop back to normal even if not concussed.

Rolling it out as screening for cumulative sub-concussive impacts may also mean huge changes to how game is played or the size of lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back