Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Kemp is going to put a huge smile on Carlton people's dial later this year he will end up being the best draft pick of his year (injuries allowing) - including better than Rowell or whatever his name is.

Jack CarrollFinger”We expect him to slot back in and play a full game this week.”
Paddy DowEye Will be monitored and tested this week.
Brodie Kemp Foot “We think we’re going to see him the week after the VFL bye, with another 2-3 weeks of training under his belt.”
Jack MartinKnee Back into ball program. “We think over the next 2-3 weeks he’s going to be a strong possibility of playing.
Mitch McGovernHamstring 8-10 weeks.
Marc MurphyNeck Test for selection.
Sam PhilpGroinRuled out until after the VFL bye.
Jack SilvagniShoulder ”He’s a good, strong chance to be out there this week.”
Zac WilliamsSorenessTest for selection.

Jack CarrollFinger”We expect him to slot back in and play a full game this week.”
Paddy DowEyeWill be monitored and tested this week.
Brodie KempFoot“We think we’re going to see him the week after the VFL bye, with another 2-3 weeks of training under his belt.”
Jack MartinKneeBack into ball program. “We think over the next 2-3 weeks he’s going to be a strong possibility of playing.
Mitch McGovernHamstring8-10 weeks.
Marc MurphyNeckTest for selection.
Sam PhilpGroinRuled out until after the VFL bye.
Jack SilvagniShoulder”He’s a good, strong chance to be out there this week.”
Zac WilliamsSorenessTest for selection.

Does it raise questions if Williams is out due to “general soreness” for 2 straight weeks?

Again, breaking it down:

Jack CarrollFingerLikely
Charlie CurnowKneeIndefinite (mid-season estimate)
Paddy DowEyeTest
Zac FisherAnkle5 weeks
Brodie KempFoot2-3 weeks
Caleb MarchbankKneeSeason
Jack MartinKnee2-3 weeks
Oscar McDonaldBack9 weeks
Mitch McGovernHamstring8-10 weeks
Marc MurphyNeckTest
Sam PhilpGroin6 weeks
Jack SilvagniShoulderLikely
Zac WilliamsSorenessTest
It's unsubstantiated voodoo S+C sh*t. While some of it has its place, to neglect traditional S+C practice like Russell appears to is a big mistake. He says in the podcast below that he doesn't believe in gym work for AFL footballers:

While this was a few years ago, I hear his philosophy remains similar.
Functional training is critical for all professional sports, and takes importance over more generalised strength and conditioning work. If you want to see examples of how badly the latter approach can go wrong, look at O'Brien and TDK last year, then look at TDK this year.

Look at Murphy's transformation over the last 4-5 years too.

I wholly support the idea of not turning players into gym rats, and that side of things should accentuate skill and performance-based training, to help correct biomechanical issues to strengthen against any underdeveloped areas of a physique, or prevent overuse injuries or prevent injuries that would come about through typical match day contact and pressure (e.g. if someone is getting jumped onto/bumped into a lot, make sure they're strong enough not to buckle under reasonable pressure).

You don't want gym-bodied players who curtail their strengths as players, or then you get what we've seen out of O'Brien in the last 18 months: regular soft tissue injuries and the inability to change direction quickly to double up and run back for emergency defensive cover.

Last edited:
Marchbank | McGovern | Fisher are all injury-prone body types - unreliable - sorry to say. Fingers crossed on Charlie's comeback.

Not understanding Williams' 'soreness' whatever that means - disappointing start at Carlton I had high hopes for his contribution potential to midfield.

Marchbank | McGovern | Fisher are all injury-prone body types - unreliable - sorry to say. Fingers crossed on Charlie's comeback.

Not understanding Williams' 'soreness' whatever that means - disappointing start at Carlton I had high hopes for his contribution potential to midfield.

Fishers injuries do seem a little more unlucky rather than injury prone, compared to the others. Gov seems to struggle with soft tissue injuries and Marchy seems to get injured everywhere.

Is there a diffrence?

Fish is also younger than the others and a much slighter frame, I hope he is still developing and filling out, where the other two are a lot bigger and older. I hope anyway.

Weird call on Fisher, drafted in 2016 but has played more games than the 2015 draft class apart from Weiters.

Fishers injuries do seem a little more unlucky rather than injury prone, compared to the others. Gov seems to struggle with soft tissue injuries and Marchy seems to get injured everywhere.

Is there a diffrence?

Fish is also younger than the others and a much slighter frame, I hope he is still developing and filling out, where the other two are a lot bigger and older. I hope anyway.
Marchbank is fragile - everywhere. Arr0w was right on McGovern body made of marshmallow - yeah he has lost weight but he isnt a hard body. My concern with Fish is same I have for Dow and SPS- they are small bodies.

Marchbank is fragile - everywhere. Arr0w was right on McGovern body made of marshmallow - yeah he has lost weight but he isnt a hard body. My concern with Fish is same I have for Dow and SPS- they are small bodies.
Martin is small too. Couldn’t believe how skinny he was when I was sitting near him one day. I wouldn’t want to be tackled by him though. Tough.

"Levi Casboult has been battling a nagging knee injury which has required regular draining of fluid as he prepares for Carlton’s massive test against the Western Bulldogs."
"Only rest will help ease his issue but with Mitch McGovern now out for up to 10 weeks with a high-grade hamstring injury there is little ruck-forward cover."

Not much more to the article that hasn't been covered elsewhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been pretty obvious he's been carrying a knee injury to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yep playing under duress, explains why he hasn't been jumping for the ball. I thought he provided a good ruck chop out against *

Well done for toughing it out for the team.

Can remember Nick Reiwoldts getting his knee drained on a regular basis and pics of lots of 20ml syringes full of blood/fluid.

Poor Levi! He's a real battler and we are lucky to have him on our list, given the inability of so many of our other talls to stay healthy.

Much love for the big lug.
Could struggle to get back in if we go the youth path now.

I know posters will never learn but there you have it - the very reason he is struggling but we have had no option or alternative.
Hopefully when TDK is match fit and if he can last maybe another 2 weeks, Cassy will get the rest. I love the big fella!!!

It's a poor reflection on our coaching team and match committee that we'd rather play Casboult on one leg than alter our system to suit the available (fit and healthy) players.

Richmond are the example yet again - lose Rance, alter game plan and personnel, win premiership. The sum of the parts etc etc

Not much more to the article that hasn't been covered elsewhere
And we had 2 chances to rest him rather than running him into the ground. What would we have done if he got injured prior to TDK being ready to come back?
Should have had a rest against GC and Ess. Didn't even have to play VFL. Could have just put him down as managed.

I know posters will never learn but there you have it - the very reason he is struggling but we have had no option or alternative.
Hopefully when TDK is match fit and if he can last maybe another 2 weeks, Cassy will get the rest. I love the big fella!!!
can't really blame folk if they are told nothing and he is playing like s**t...........

Charlie CurnowKneeIndefinite (mid-season estimate)
Zac FisherAnkle3-4 weeks
Brodie KempFoot1-2 weeks
Caleb MarchbankKneeSeason
Jack MartinKnee1-2 weeks
Oscar McDonaldBack8 weeks
Mitch McGovernHamstring7-9 weeks
Marc MurphyNeckLikely
Sam PhilpGroin1-2 weeks
Jack SilvagniConcussion1 week

EDIT: had the wrong VFL bye in mind for Philp.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back