Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would you have played instead?

Hey jelly good question! That's exactly what I've been trying to figure out, and have put forward some ideas in this thread (see last post of previous page) and the Midfield thread.

Point being - Richmond could adapt to the loss of Rance by tweaking their system and making some personnel changes. We've seen other top teams do the same over the years. From the outside looking in, we are trying to play players to fit a system rather than tweaking our system to suit our available team.

It's a median for shots taken across the AFL from a certain spot or in a certain situation.

Basically, it's saying if we had performed to the average, we would be 6th on the ladder. So we are getting enough shots and in the right positions but we're not converting.

This suggests our game plan is working but we're not capitalising.
Is it if we performed to the average, as well as our opponent?

Hey jelly good question! That's exactly what I've been trying to figure out, and have put forward some ideas in this thread (see last post of previous page) and the Midfield thread.

Point being - Richmond could adapt to the loss of Rance by tweaking their system and making some personnel changes. We've seen other top teams do the same over the years. From the outside looking in, we are trying to play players to fit a system rather than tweaking our system to suit our available team.
we didnt draft Noah Balta,(anyone could have), went mid 20s pretty handy TWEAK.

It's a poor reflection on our coaching team and match committee that we'd rather play Casboult on one leg than alter our system to suit the available (fit and healthy) players.

Richmond are the example yet again - lose Rance, alter game plan and personnel, win premiership. The sum of the parts etc etc
Can you explain how they altered their game plan? Seems that it stayed all about pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. That being a homophobic slur wouldn't have even crossed my mind.

Still seems a long bow to draw to me.

Happy to give it a miss of it offends anyone in that community.

I'd love to hear from someone who it actually may impact rather than someone who is outraged on behalf of them.
Glad I never said it. The Star Chamber would have banished me to the Phantom zone, with General Zod and others.

Did BSOS get touched up by Josh Jenkins (7 goals) in teh Bullants vs Geelong ressies. I didn't see the game to see if they played on one another but seen a photo of the two matched up. Bit of a bulk/strength mismatch? SDK looks to be going ok in the ressies and Finbar snapped one.

And we had 2 chances to rest him rather than running him into the ground. What would we have done if he got injured prior to TDK being ready to come back?
Should have had a rest against GC and Ess. Didn't even have to play VFL. Could have just put him down as managed.

For clubs in our position, I’m not sure why we didn’t and why we don’t, use games that we aren’t expected to win, to rest/blood players.

We could have easily rested a Levi against Port and Brisbane, having him in better shape for our game against Essendon, or just rest him this week.

I remember in the premier league a few years ago, a low ranked team rested 3-4 starters for an away game against a big club, because the next game was against another low team, that they could actually win against.

We should be a little bit smarter, you don’t play injured players.

For clubs in our position, I’m not sure why we didn’t and why we don’t, use games that we aren’t expected to win, to rest/blood players.

We could have easily rested a Levi against Port and Brisbane, having him in better shape for our game against Essendon, or just rest him this week.

I remember in the premier league a few years ago, a low ranked team rested 3-4 starters for an away game against a big club, because the next game was against another low team, that they could actually win against.

But, we beat *

I know posters will never learn but there you have it - the very reason he is struggling but we have had no option or alternative.
Hopefully when TDK is match fit and if he can last maybe another 2 weeks, Cassy will get the rest. I love the big fella!!!
It's not the posters who need to learn, it's the club. We've been basically resting on our tall stocks for three straight trade periods/drafts.

"We go into every game expecting to win." -- David Teague, pretty much every single week

Maybe this isn't just a talking point, but he and the club really believe this?

I get the point you're making and I don't entirely disagree, but on balance I think I'd prefer the club to follow Teague's stated philosophy and pick the team on that basis -- you're either fit to play or you're not, regardless of who the opposition is this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back