Injury Blue Healers Medical Room - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

No scans yet. Bruising too much to be scanned. Based on when that’s happened in the past it’s often meant a break. They don’t scan because they swelling and bruising are so bad the scan wouldn’t show anything.

Be interested of hear what Mr Plow says but I am fearful of a number of weeks out/season over.

I'll be starting formal radiology training in some months, so will become an expert in the coming years. But my understanding currently is that our imaging apparatus (particularly MRI) have enough contrast resolution to allow us to make a diagnosis even in the presence of significant swelling.

Imaging with ultrasound can be difficult due to the nature of image acquisition (probe + swelling = poor pictures), but in 2021 and in the AFL industry, I suspect the standard of care is straight to private MRI.

I'll be starting formal radiology training in some months, so will become an expert in the coming years. But my understanding currently is that our imaging apparatus (particularly MRI) have enough contrast resolution to allow us to make a diagnosis even in the presence of significant swelling.

Imaging with ultrasound can be difficult due to the nature of image acquisition (probe + swelling = poor pictures), but in 2021 and in the AFL industry, I suspect the standard of care is straight to private MRI.
Give it to me straight Doc

Memo to injury gods - would it kill ya to let Cripps, Charlie Curnow , McKay, Weitering all play at the same time.

:rolleyes:

Cripps -

A subsequent MRI showed that there was no structural damage for the midfield bull, with Director of High Performance Andrew Russell confirming Cripps’ availability would be determined at the end of the week.

“Structurally, the foot is fine and the MRI was clear: he’s got some inflammation in his foot,” Russell said.

Jordan BoydKnee"We won't see him for at least a month." Update: 6 July
Patrick CrippsFootTest for selection. Update: 6 July
David CuninghamKneeOut for remainder of season.
Charlie CurnowKnee"A chance to play VFL in the upcoming weeks." Update: 6 July
Sam DochertyAnkleUnderwent ankle surgery. Remains a chance of returning this season. Update: 1 July
Zac FisherAnkleTest for selection. Update: 6 July
Michael GibbonsHamstring"We'll do our best to get him up and running at the end of the season." Update: 29 June
Caleb MarchbankKneeOut for remainder of season.
Oscar McDonaldBack"We expect him to be out there in ball work next week and pushing to play again." Update: 29 June
Mitch McGovernHamstring"He's probably 2-3 weeks away from skills, so he certainly won't play for the next three weeks." Update: 16 June
Alex MirkovKnee"It's not a high-grade injury. We expect him to miss three or four games." Update: 22 June
Marc MurphyCalf"We expect him to miss two games and then we'll see him back out there." Update: 29 June
Sam PhilpGroinOut for remainder of season.
Will SetterfieldHandTest for selection. Update: 6 July

Cripps -

Sam DochertyAnkleUnderwent ankle surgery. Remains a chance of returning this season. Update: 1 July
Michael GibbonsHamstring"We'll do our best to get him up and running at the end of the season." Update: 29 June
Oscar McDonaldBack "We expect him to be out there in ball work next week and pushing to play again." Update: 29 June
Mitch McGovernHamstring"He's probably 2-3 weeks away from skills, so he certainly won't play for the next three weeks." Update: 16 June
Alex MirkovKnee"It's not a high-grade injury. We expect him to miss three or four games." Update: 22 June
Marc MurphyCalf"We expect him to miss two games and then we'll see him back out there." Update: 29 June

This is good for Cripps that MRI was clear

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oscar McDonaldBack"We expect him to be out there in ball work next week and pushing to play again." Update: 29 June
Missing Pittonet from the table.

"'Pitto's' surgery went really well. He's had some bone removed and we will do everything we can to get him back to play later on in the year," Russell said.
29/06/21

ahhh the glass half full Tuesday update. Gets you excited for the weekend until Thursday‘s doom report completely screws it all up!

Yeah, Cripps is out with an amputation below the knee, we’ll try our best to get him playing by the end of the season

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They most certainly do, but Marchbank, McGovern, Docherty, Cuningham, C.Curnow, Fisher, Martin don’t just get injured, they’re injured prone.

3 first team players have missed 2+ years in one hit.

When some posters say oh we’re unlucky etc..sure. But when it’s the same players over and over and over…
You forgot Williamson. Two years on the injury list with that back injury of his.

But, saying someone is injury prone is a cop out. Injuries happen. Sometimes a proper job isn't done on an injury and it reoccurs again and again. Andrew Walkers shoulder for example. Then they got the right surgeon and boom, never happened again. How many years in a row did he miss of football because of that shoulder? Sometimes the injury causes biomechanical issues with the joint and you have knock on injuries (Kreuzer), or you are training as part of your rehab from your previous injury and your knee twists the wrong way and snap. The previous 12 months of rehab from your last knee injury is undone.

Stepping outside of Aussie Rules for a second and stepping into the world of association football. Ryan Giggs and Michael Owen... two fast forward players. Suffered for years with hamstring issues. The average punter would oft complain... "Geez they're injury prone". A biomechanical trainer looked at how they ran, worked out a different training program for both of them and while they still had the odd hamstring issue, it ceased to be an issue. Gov was a different type of hamstring injury to those guys. He was chasing someone down and got them. But in the last desperate second, he pinged his hammy.

Injuries are the curse of professional sport persons... and the active person on the street. Saying someone is injury prone is somehow trying to shift the blame for the injury onto the person. What could they do differently to actively avoid an injury? Did Kreuzer know that by injuring his ACL, he would be condemned to a life of constant knee, leg, and foot issues? Does anyone think that when Kreuzer flew for that mark at Etihad that time, he started thinking on the way down that "I shouldn't have flown for that mark!". Cuningham, Doc, the two guys on the weekend, Daniel Menzel? 4 ACL injuries for the guy. could he, or any of the others, have avoided them? Yeah... by not playing Aussie Rules.

On 22nd June, I said:

2-3 from skills isn't the same as that long from playing. Needs to get in skills work before playing.
I said around round 14 for Charlie to start back in the VFL. I was 3 weeks out if he runs out this week in the VFL.

So they are spot on then
It's tracking that way, but it's dependent on a few things. Any setbacks obviously throw out timeline.

Also, with so long out, whether or or not he was able to maintain fitness is another matter entirely.

I believe he has, but he also has come back unfit previously, so I get why people would be sceptical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back