Bluemour Season Blast Off Edition XXXIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only on big footy could a players 2021 stats where he averaged 24 touches a game, kicked more goals than Sam Walsh and came 4th in the B &F (despite an early serious back issue) be described as a shocker.

I think the correct terminology is "he didn't play as well as I wanted him to".

Then again using average disposals as a measure of how good a player was is also a shocker - zero context.

Cripps, for his standards, was pretty ordinary last year (and the year before) and is a concern going forward imo. If he doesnt get back to 'get ball, give ball' then he is just an average player.

I just heard 3rd hand of a convo at a Carlton function a few weeks back

Someone asked if Carlton's ruck depth was sufficient and got the following answers:

Lloyd: yeah we are fine
Voss: we should be ok if we have no injuries
Diesel: **** no

Ah. Never change, Diesel...

Last edited:

Then again using average disposals as a measure of how good a player was is also a shocker - zero context.

Cripps, for his standards, was pretty ordinary last year (and the year before) and is a concern going forward imo. If he doesnt get back to 'get ball, give ball' then he is just an average player.
I think that B &F placings is a pretty reasonable identifier as to how those in the inner sanctum view his season though. I probably even rate it higher than big footy mindset consensus believe it or not.

There is no doubt that Cripps didn't have a great season. My response, however was to someone who claimed that he had a shocking season. I don't believe (and those who voted in the best and fairest also don't) that that was true.

I'm also not a big fan of the "if he doesn't return to what he did previously he'll be an ordinary player" argument. Great players can have not so good years due to a variety of reasons. Last year Crippa had to deal with a serious injury, contract negotiations, a team that promised a bit but fell away due in no small part to poor coaching and structures and some issues with his partner. If anything you could blame him for being too invested in our clubs future success. However great players rise above.

Ollie Wines was supposedly gone a couple of years ago. Don't worry about Cripps. He will find a way. Great players do.

Ollie Wines was supposedly gone a couple of years ago. Don't worry about Cripps. He will find a way. Great players do.

If only we had access to someone intimately involved in Wines' resurrection.... ;)

I think that B &F placings is a pretty reasonable identifier as to how those in the inner sanctum view his season though. I probably even rate it higher than big footy mindset consensus believe it or not.

There is no doubt that Cripps didn't have a great season. My response, however was to someone who claimed that he had a shocking season. I don't believe (and those who voted in the best and fairest also don't) that that was true.

I'm also not a big fan of the "if he doesn't return to what he did previously he'll be an ordinary player" argument. Great players can have not so good years due to a variety of reasons. Last year Crippa had to deal with a serious injury, contract negotiations, a team that promised a bit but fell away due in no small part to poor coaching and structures and some issues with his partner. If anything you could blame him for being too invested in our clubs future success. However great players rise above.

meh, Cripps 4th and Plowman & Betts in the top 10 is a good indication as to why we got a whole new coaching panel imo

Doesnt mean too much when those giving the votes got the ass at the end of the year..... :think:

Why? It’s a business. He held the club to ransom and carlton folded. 6 years ??
give it to Walsh

I suspect you haven't followed the discussion very well there. Would you like to have another stab at it?

OK, change of subject.

Time for some happy Tuesday vibes...

No specific reason for posting. But who needs a reason to watch highlights of Stocker standing up for his teammates, jumping back into packs and dishing out some fair, tough stuff?!?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, change of subject.

Time for some happy Tuesday vibes...

No specific reason for posting. But who needs a reason to watch highlights of Stocker standing up for his teammates, jumping back into packs and dishing out some fair, tough stuff?!?!

At about the 18 second mark if Plowman wasn’t trailing his opponent Fogarty so badly he might have prevented him clattering into Weitering :p

Last edited:
Still think Cripps is a certainty to retain the captaincy in 2022 - as he should.

Doc is another story and his position you'd think is the more vulnerable one.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think Walsh should be our captain in 2022. I like Doch and Cripps. Weiters too. I liked Murphy and Judd. Kouta was awesome. Ratts, yeah. Witnall, yeah nah. I don't think we have had a natural born leader captaining our club since Sticks Kernahan. I know he is young, but at 21, he is the same age as Vossy was when he got the gig at Brisbane (co-captain admittedly). Sticks was 24, but was given the captaincy in just his second year at the club. We have been waiting a long time for our next premiership captain and a true leader of the club. As Morpheus said on the Matrix - 'he is the one'!

At about the 18 second mark if Plowman wasn’t trailing his opponent Fogarty so badly he might have prevented him clattering into Weitering :p

Yeah nah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back