Bluemour Discussion Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damien Barrett.

Our club needs to make a stand against this muck racking imbecile.

He's written about the sledging again. Make no mistake he doesn't give a s**t about sledging, he is just trying to fan the flames of this story so that the rumour can be revealed.

Disgusting.
It's working. It's being discussed in at least 4 threads on this board, 2 threads on the Rumours and Scandals board, and also on the Saints board.

Last edited:

In General:
Sledging and banter can be a part of any game but it depends on how it is delivered that impacts. Name calling and insults are basic fodder for a lot of people. Clever and witty remarks can break a players concentration and have better effect. Personal insults re family or the person are pretty ordinary and is more a reflection of the person making the remarks.
To stoop to such a low level of attacking a persons family is a pretty poor strategy in any books and if it is part of your game plan then I think you need to seek out another form of employment. At amateur level it would take a brave/stupid person to dish out personal sledges as you might just end up on your back.

As well as 3 major media outlets.

It's sad.

Our club needs to turn a spotlight on the media who are clearly stepping over the line here.
If it leads to an AFL investigation and the nature of the comments on field are misogynistic and personal in nature, then I'm happy for the conversation to be had.

Football needs it.

If it leads to an AFL investigation and the nature of the comments on field are misogynistic and personal in nature, then I'm happy for the conversation to be had.

Football needs it.

To be honest I think Brendon Goddard of all people summed it up best. That generally most players know where the line is and tend not to cross it.

My concern is that people like damian barrat are only using this topic to push a rumour to the fore which will be a: extremely scandalous and by that virtue sell more newspapers and b: damaging to his opposition in channel seven.

Happy for their to be a conversation, but that isn't whats happening.

I'm a massive fan of Steve Waughs "mental disintegration", especially the targeting of the man at the top of the tree.

Murph either deals with it or he doesn't, either way he needs to outwardly deal with it and let his footy do the talking which has been evident all year so far

After Cam Polson did his shoulder, SOS went over to the Polson household. He basically told Cam to get his shoulder reconstructed properly and 'disappear off the face of the Earth'

Love it.

Yes, this has gone around and oddly makes even more sense given a poster here brought up that he was told that we'd be taking Polson in the draft, when hardly anyone had even heard of him.....and that was some time through the season proper....not pre-draft.

What it does say....and even if we don't think it may be the case...is that we have our eye on the guys a year out from the draft and which is why Ben Silvagni would likely already be being 'managed'
That makes for perfect and simple sense to me although SOS may have to be just a little careful.

I'm a massive fan of Steve Waughs "mental disintegration", especially the targeting of the man at the top of the tree.

Murph either deals with it or he doesn't, either way he needs to outwardly deal with it and let his footy do the talking which has been evident all year so far

I have to admit, I have grown up seeing sledging as a part of sport. And I still think mind-games still have their place.

But if I went up to someone in my company and was repeatedly teasing them about their partner having an affair or an ill sibling or whatever, I could be warned/cautioned/fired etc.

Granted there are huge differences between being a professional athlete and working in a white-collar job, but it's hard to argue that sportspeople don't have the right to workplace free of abuse.....

Yes, this has gone around and oddly makes even more sense given a poster here brought up that he was told that we'd be taking Polson in the draft, when hardly anyone had even heard of him.....and that was some time through the season proper....not pre-draft.

What it does say....and even if we don't think it may be the case...is that we have our eye on the guys a year out from the draft and which is why Ben Silvagni would likely already be being 'managed'
That makes for perfect and simple sense to me although SOS may have to be just a little careful.

It's not draft tampering if you don't get caught.....:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to admit, I have grown up seeing sledging as a part of sport. And I still think mind-games still have their place.

But if I went up to someone in my company and was repeatedly teasing them about their partner having an affair or an ill sibling or whatever, I could be warned/cautioned/fired etc.

Granted there are huge differences between being a professional athlete and working in a white-collar job, but it's hard to argue that sportspeople don't have the right to workplace free of abuse.....
Agreed... whether they're sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, racist or highly personal/involving family - its not on and needs to be stamped out. I can understand Murph just wants to move on, but it sickens me reading some of the tripe on the Saints board and around Twitter turning it around onto Murph.

I think the majority of people accept 'sledging' as part of competition, though everyone has their own thought on what is acceptable and not. I find outright abuse to be laughable and it never affected me in the slightest. Someone who is creative enough to get under your skin without getting personal or just hurling abuse is actually pretty impressive.

As far as I am concerned the AFL is culpable as an organisation if it does not put in place measures to address on field harassment. They are no different to any other organisation. Professional Sports does not have a special exemption status All it will take is for one footballer to crack and seek legal redress for the culture to change.

No person should have to put up with it including footballers. The argument about it being part of the game as long as there is no crossing of the line is nonsense. Everyone has different tolerances so there is no magical line that applies to footballers.

That's the thing. People are saying that now everyone knows Murph can be 'got'. Well, it didn't affect his form at all. He got sledged, he kept his form up, he gave it back.

That's the thing. People are saying that now everyone knows Murph can be 'got'. Well, it didn't affect his form at all. He got sledged, he kept his form up, he gave it back.

28 touches and 2 goals

Sledge away

That's a PC view of the world in my book, been happening and will continue to happen forever in a day on a sporting field as long as there's a winner and a loser.

That's the point, people can't distinguish between a sporting workplace and a white collar workplace.

Whether anyone likes it or not where there's a chance of getting an advantage it will happen and I'm afraid to say that it worked as Murphy was riled to a point where his emotions took control and faded in the last quarter when we needed him to continue to dominate.

As long as it doesn't touch the bleeding obvious then it's all bets off.

I've put a wager on Murph today for the Brownlow because I think he's had a ripper year so far and I also think it will happen just about every week from here on in. The difference will be that he'll just focus on smashing the opposition where it really hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back