Bluemour Discussion Thread IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many old blokes should we play? Simmo, Murphy, Wright, Ed, Daisy, Mullet then add Fasolo, Poppy and Roughhead. Sounds like the Pagan days are coming back...
Hope we can fit them in and add youth in our rumoured 8 list changes.

Would actually like us to field a younger team next year FFS.

Agreed. Would much rather see something resembling our future team than adding other teams senior discards to go with our own, who we should be looking to move on anyway.

Next year could be

Docherty Weitering Macreadie
SPS Marchbank Williamson

Out of the back 6 there are question marks on all of them...
Docherty probably wont be back to 100%
Weitering. Well... hope he comes good next year. Like him but is he ready for fb?
Macreadie. So far not so good. High hopes but no where near ready.
SPS. Love him but he still has a fair bit to go and i believe would get found out playing in a backline against a decent forwardline.
Marchy. Has been injured a lot. I see him more intercept.
Williamson. Body hasn't held up so far. I have faith. But faith doesn't get us wins.

Setterfield Cripps Simpson

Setterfield has been injured...
Simpson coming towards the end. Can he get through all of 2019?

Dahlhaus Charlie Shiel

Like this line

Murphy McKay Walsh

Murphy im still questioning his foot. Potentially his effort
McKay still learning
Walsh 1st year player

Kruezer Kennedy Dow

Kreuzer. Heart. Going off medical only!
Like kennedy and Dow

O'Brien Fisher Caldwell Curnow

Happy here.

Polson Pickett Byrne Lang Jones Cuningham McHenry Silvagni Kerr BSOS Nelson TDK Lobbe Phillips Plowman Garlett LeBois Casboult Schumacher

I don't know about you but to me that is a heck of a side with a lot of improvement, depth and upside. :) All of a sudden with that midfield we should win 8 games minimum. Even better if we land Lloyd Brodie and/or Gaff ;)

Ive posted in your quote my thoughts. Id say if you put that on paper in front of opposition supporters they would still laugh at our squad.

We have a full year of playing it smart at the draft to go. Grabbing a couple of B grade FAs would be nice this year too.

Next year is when we could open up to trading top picks.

I get what you're saying soap and how exciting the team looks. But its a few seasons off imo.

Last edited:

I disagree. we need players who can actually play at the level to support the youngsters. if the best we can do is Roughead, Puopolo and those types then so be it. if it makes us competitive in the short term while our young crop mature to that 24 - 27 age bracket I'm all for it.

right now we have Rowe, Ed Curnow, O'Shea, Kerridge, Graham and Mullett as those older heads and they are I'm just going to come out and say it - Spuds of the highest order who are a liability on the football field with ball in hand and they are the ones who are slowing this rebuild down not the kids. The club may have finally worked this out and if the best we can do is attract 28 year olds or older who can actually bloody well play then so be it. Come on down anyone who is proven at AFL level and can support our kids. Doing nothing but feeding the kids to the wolves with the above mentioned cast is not working.
Lets be clear those players you mentioned havent slowed the rebuild down injuries have .
Some of those players even with a few injuries to our best 22 wouldnt have got a look in .

Imo if the club bring in more than 1 player over the age of 27-28 then theyve panicked .
Just adding 1 or 2 players of reasonable quality in the age bracket 22-26 the club has stated together with a better run with injury will make a hell of a difference .

That only works if Kelly signs on. They aren't going to trade without winning it if they have no guarantee it'll help them at all.
They aren't going to match what Shiel and Kelly get offered anyway so their best bet is to win a flag and hope they do what all premiership sides seem to do and hope they take unders. Both are apparently already on very good deals so I'd be backing myself in if I was them

It works like this:

Presume GWS are paying close to the full cap this year (fair enough assumption) and they have all players signed up for next year as well and will again be at the Cap limit.

They can trade Shiel and Setterfield this year and free up 1 million (presumes Shiel is on 700k and Setterfield is on base player wages of around 350k) for next year.

Presume Kelly only stuck around for 1 million a year (inflated due to Norths strong intrest).

GWS trade Shiel to Carlton for our future 1st (pick 1-5) and Setterfield to the Bombers for pick 10 this year.

They can then sit down with Kelly next year and offer him that extra million dollars up front, if he agrees to extend his contract for another two years (1 million lump sum in 2019 to go with the 1 million he is already on, plus 1 million each year in years 2020 and 2021 - effectively a 2 year 1.5 million per season contract extention, with 1 million dollars as an up front lump sum - and which takes him up to Free Agency at the end of 2021).

Thats a pretty tempting offer. He takes the 3 million for seasons 2020-21 (getting a lump sum of 1 million dollars in 2019, in addition to his base salary of 1 million dollars for that year), plays with them 2 more years at a million per year chasing a flag, and then sees what free agency coughs up.

Meanwhile GWS find themselves with (say) our 2019 1st rounder, and Essendons 2018 1st rounder (along with their own, plus academy picks) to stock up on talent before Kelly hits his free agency window should he leave at the end of 2021.

It's smart trading by GWS - they know that next year North, us, the Saints and others will come hard at Kelly and others smack in the middle of a window for them.

If he did come to us can we still call him floggard ?

I’ve never actively disliked a Carlton player. As soon as they pull on the jumper, they have my wholehearted support. I might think they shouldn’t be selected etc, but I want them all to do well.

He’d be the exception to the habit of a lifetime. I can’t stand the way he conducts himself onfield and the thought of him ranting and raving at our kids revolts me.

Thank god 10cp has rubbished the rumour.

I do think adding one very senior head to the mix would be beneficial. Personally I’d love it to be McVeigh, if not him then Roughhead.

I’d rather Eddie after he retires in a mentoring/coaching role.

1. We are not worried about Shiel going anywhere else as dialogue between us and his camp is in a good space.

2. Next years 1st round is definitely on the table.
giphy.gif

Ive posted in your quote my thoughts. Id say if you put that on paper in front of opposition supporters they would still laugh at our squad.

We have a full year of playing it smart at the draft to go. Grabbing a couple of B grade FAs would be nice this year too.

Next year is when we could open up to trading top picks.

I get what you're saying soap and how exciting the team looks. But its a few seasons off imo.

Side is a season or two off being a finalist but is exciting and isn't going to change much. Nothing you mentioned there worries me or can't be covered with our depth.

I think we will be in a great space

For a laugh I had a quick scan through the Bluemour thread, in particular posts from 2016 and last year's trade period. I reckon our 'sources' get about 90% of this stuff wrong which doesn't fill me with confidence when they come through with their good oil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really cannot see Dodoro pay a first round pick for setter field. He will only offer a second round pick.

The other issue is both players ($1m Payments) would be replaced by new draftees or experienced gap fillers on minimum wage meaning salary cap relief to GWS is only circa $600K not $1m.
It works like this:

Presume GWS are paying close to the full cap this year (fair enough assumption) and they have all players signed up for next year as well and will again be at the Cap limit.

They can trade Shiel and Setterfield this year and free up 1 million (presumes Shiel is on 700k and Setterfield is on base player wages of around 350k) for next year.

Presume Kelly only stuck around for 1 million a year (inflated due to Norths strong intrest).

GWS trade Shiel to Carlton for our future 1st (pick 1-5) and Setterfield to the Bombers for pick 10 this year.

They can then sit down with Kelly next year and offer him that extra million dollars up front, if he agrees to extend his contract for another two years (1 million lump sum in 2019 to go with the 1 million he is already on, plus 1 million each year in years 2020 and 2021 - effectively a 2 year 1.5 million per season contract extention, with 1 million dollars as an up front lump sum - and which takes him up to Free Agency at the end of 2021).

Thats a pretty tempting offer. He takes the 3 million for seasons 2020-21 (getting a lump sum of 1 million dollars in 2019, in addition to his base salary of 1 million dollars for that year), plays with them 2 more years at a million per year chasing a flag, and then sees what free agency coughs up.

Meanwhile GWS find themselves with (say) our 2019 1st rounder, and Essendons 2018 1st rounder (along with their own, plus academy picks) to stock up on talent before Kelly hits his free agency window should he leave at the end of 2021.

It's smart trading by GWS - they know that next year North, us, the Saints and others will come hard at Kelly and others smack in the middle of a window for them.

Can't believe some get taken in by garbage they see on Twitter/Social Media.
Oh yeah it's on Social Media so it must be true ....... seriously.

FWIW I just had lunch with Bolts.

See anyone can make up stuff. :D

I didn't believe it (as I said) but the mention of his name (even as a joke) sent a chill down my spine :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back